Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Kestral posted:

It is an absolute crime that Terry Pratchett's Discworld books haven't gotten more love here. Audible carries what I believe is the complete collection, and the narration is almost uniformly superb. Night Watch and Small Gods are particularly well-done.

I've listened to roughly 15 of the Discworld books, and they are very well done. Nigel Planer does a fantastic job. However, the girl they got to do Equal Rights is horrible. She lacks comedic timing and is just plain boring. I couldn't make it through any of the books she reads. Stephen Briggs does a great job too, just takes a bit to get used to his voices for ones already established by Nigel. It's like when you're young and one of your parents does the voices all wrong.

I love audio books because it makes me feel like 5 year old :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The General
Mar 4, 2007

timeandtide posted:

So, is Audible everyone's favorite site to download books from? And am I correct in that you only get one a month--or is that one at a time?

You can buy them with cash (crazy talk) or get one of the subscription plans. For $15/mo you can get 1 book, and for $23/mo you can get two. Which is a shitton cheaper than just buying them as you want them. I recently upped my subscription to the platinum 2 books a month.

I believe that https://www.audible.com/twit2 has a promotion if you're a first time subscriber and you go for the platinum plan you get two free books. I'd just do this, and after if you only wanted one book a month just downgrade or cancel.

Edit: You buy them. Even if you cancel/max out your credit card and don't pay, you can still access your books. Though one thing to look out for is to make sure your MP3 player supports audible.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Tornhelm posted:

That isn't so much of an issue - it takes a fair bit of fiddling and googling to set it up, but you *can* convert audible files to mp3 fairly painlessly. I use it on my Win7 computer when I want to listen to audiobooks on my old Sony Walkman NW-HD1 - which is what I use on my motorcycle when I don't want to risk my iPhone.

Edit: For other AudioBooks sites, Podiobooks.com has a bunch of free audiobooks, they release them chapter by chapter though, which may or may not be your thing. The quality is very hit and miss too.

It is a pretty big issue when your laptop can hardly run MSN, firefox and iTunes at the same time. The processing power to turn Audible into MP3 is pretty significant and would mean hours where I couldn't use it. Then there's the issue if your MP3 player sucks (as it probably does if it doens't support Audible) that you end up with 8 hour MP3 files that you can't bookmark or quickly navigate large lengths of time (gently caress you Sansa).

But you are right, just tossing it out there.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Tanith posted:

If you're a young whippersnapper and aren't familiar with the BBC's televised version of James Herriot's exploits as a veterinary surgeon, do yourself a favor and go watch them. The narrator of all the audiobooks of these is the actor who played Herriot, Christopher Timothy. :swoon:

A friend recommended All Creatures Great and Small to me, and I was pleasently surpised. I was expecting to hate/not get it as I'm a huge city boy. But god drat, that book is hilarious. Highly recommended.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Happy Hedonist posted:

I live an hour from work and listen to a lot of audiobooks. I've been using Audible for over a year now and other than the draconian DRM I'm happy.

I have a poo poo ton of respect for audible. They are one of the main sponcers for TWiT and one episode one guest went on and bashed Audible for a good 15minutes and even told the listeners how to get around the DRM. Audible not only approved the episode but continues to support more than a year later.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Syrinxx posted:

If anyone is interested, Cherie Priest has announced that her book Boneshaker is now available from Audible with Zeke's parts read by none other than ultranerd Wil Wheaton.

What's the book about? Never heard of it, but anything UltraNerd is cool in my books.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

coleman francis posted:

Triple recommending More Information Than You Require by John Hodgman.
It is a fantastically written and read piece of literature.

Warning. Don't listen to it on long walks unless you are comfortable giggling a guffawing while in the presence of strangers.

I have a friend who I swear is John Hodgmans long lost twin. Looks like him, sounds like him, has the same sense of humour. It owns. I really want to pick that book and the other one.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

The Flying Milton posted:

Are there any decent psychology books/lectures on Audible?

What abouts are you looking for? Does behavioral economics count?
Predictably Irrational is one I really enjoyed. The wisdom of crowds is good, and Blink is fantastic. The Tipping point might also interest you, I'm not sure.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Anything to do with an introduction to psychology. I don't care much for pop-psychology or self help books.

I couldn't help you there. I'm pretty heavy into the economics myself but as I mentioned there's alot on it that has to do with human behavior.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I'm going for a Discworld marathon run. I'll be back in a couple months. :haw:

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Finished reading: The colour of magic, The Light Fantastic, Mort and Scourcery.

I'm not a huge fan of the first two books, but that's because Pratchett was still new and hadn't found his groove yet. Though you see the improvement in book two. I never really like Rincewind (though he really does grow on you) or Twoflower but was sad to see them go by the end of book two. They're more Douglas Adams inspired than the parody that the series becomes.

Mort is possibly my favourite book of the series (Though I've only read the first 15 of them), mostly because Death is such an awesome character. Not sure what else to say about it, if you have not read/listened to Mort do so. NOW.

Scourcery is a fun read. I love the Wizards and Unseen University and it focuses alot on them. There's just something about inept, stuttering, backstabbing wizards that amuses me greatly.

You'll notice that I'm skipping certain books, the ones involving Granny Weatherwax and crew. The narrator they got to do them is terrible. She lacks the comedic timing of Nigel Planer, gets the voices all wrong and is just boring as all gently caress. I'm the sure the books are great, but I can't get over the narration.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Habibi posted:

I've seen these around, but they all seem to be abridged? Confirm/deny?

Yes they are, but what can you do? Have a 10 hour radio play? They're very well done reguardless.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Jeremy Irons reading Lolita makes me feel dirty. I'm about half way through, I had to put a pause on it.

Accidental Billionaires is pretty entertaining, another couple hours to go, will say more when it's done.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

coyo7e posted:

Seems obvious to me: you get a big first-timer discount when you Join. It doesn't say "all members get this rate," it says "Join now, 60% off!"

I'd disagree. Says "Members price" Not "Join now and save big."

On a side note, Audible cornered me and demanded I spend 5bux the other day. While checking my library a splash page came up "CLICK HERE TO CHECKOUT AWESOME $5 DEALS!" and I said "Sure, why not?" In the middle of all the crap was the one book I had wishlisted (To remind me to buy it next time I had credits) was in the middle in the sea of crap. Sigh.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Drunkards walk is an interesting book about statistics, though it's really kind of heavy and I'm not sure it would be good driving material.

Predictably Irrational is pretty awesome. It's behavioural economics, and really shows how retarded people can be over something as small as a penny.

Traffic is an interesting look on driving and the bullshit it creates.

Tipping Point, an interesting look about how small things cause major changes.

Or I guess you could pick up some Pimsleur and learn a new langauge :haw:

The General
Mar 4, 2007

It's most likely a lot cheaper. And some people do voices so well you just don't notice it's the same person. Though at times they don't do the right voice for the right character and I get confused for a moment or two. On the plus side you know who's talking before the "whomever said" comes up.

Jeremy Irons did such a fantastic job with Lolita. I still feel dirty from listening to it.

Edit: World War Z had some subpar voice actors though. Whomever did that chinese guy really irritated me and really hampered my enjoyment of the book. I'm not sure if I ever completed it. But that was really a horrible accent to start the book off with.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Furry Neo posted:

WWZ had an advantage in that it was effectively a series of monologues with only a few exceptions. Thus, they could bring in actors to record long stretches whenever was most convenient for them to record. Were you to have a cast of actors reading a book where there are multiple characters carrying on conversations throughout - Pride and Prejudice, let's say - you'd need to get them into the same studio at the same time, and you'd need someone to direct their reactions and get them on the same page, and so forth. It would require a great deal more work to put together than one person in a booth.

Not really. A lot of voice acting is done independantly with no contact between voice actors. I mean in a professional setting and not just online audio dramas.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Furry Neo posted:

For full-cast, back-and-forth dialogue work?

Yeah. It blew my mind too. I just wish I knew where I read/heard it. I also have some extra on a DVD which clearly shows one actor at a time. I'll look into it more, ugh it's going to bother me now.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

First I saw that Anthony Bourdain's new book, Medium Raw, is available on Audible as an audiobook now and was like :hellyeah: but then I saw that it just came out and you can't use credits to buy it. :smith:

Wha? I had no idea there was any books on there at all credits couldnt buy. :psyduck:

I did take the 2credit plunge into a game of thrones, and I kinda regret it, because there's like 3 or 4 more books and that's a lot of credits :smith:

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Roy Dotrice is not that good of a reader IMO; he doesn't have a very big range of voices, which really hamstrings something like ASoIaF.

He's got irish guy, gruff guy, kinda feminine like, hilarious wench, whiney bastard, and generic guy.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

JLightning posted:

I listened to the World War Z audio book on a drive up to Seattle and back from Portland. It was pretty much the perfect length haha!! Anyways, I really enjoyed it, though I was a little disappointed at some of the parts they edited out.

WWZ is good in idea, and maybe even writting, but I didn't like the voice acting at all.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Daemon is on sale for like $9 on Audible. You'd be a fool not to pick it up at that price.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Kestral posted:

I'm going on a road trip soon and my car-mates, who know that I have an Audible account, want something funny to while away the hours. My library has zero comedy in it, but I have two Audible credits to burn. Any suggestions?

All creatures great and small is pretty hilarious.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Wheres the audible support for my android phone :( I thought it was already out :(

The General
Mar 4, 2007

What's the book about?

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Android audible is here!! loving awesome. I love this phone and now I can get rid of the ipod touch

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Only took me like three years to get you to check out audible

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Hexadecimal Gnome posted:

- no subscriptions (unlike Audible), and usually works out cheaper in the end because of this.

I'm not sure how you can claim this? I pay 25/mo on audible. but if I where to buy the books without subscription, I would have been spending about 50.

A Game of Thrones costed me two credits, so 25. On that site it's $42.
I'd make more comparisons like that, but unfortunately that site doesn't have any other books I've bought :haw:

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I dont mind the two credits. They're fantastic books and really really long. Though I make sure to get my moneys worth out of audible. If a book isn't worth $20, I'll just buy it and use my credits on something else.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Also, get a sweet rear end android app so I can download all my poo poo directly onto my phone and home screen widget so I can hit play/pause without having to open it up too. Then, then I may give you some love :colbert:

I'm some sort of Audible Fag. :swoon:

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Mister Macys posted:

You work for Audible?

Any reason why Sony players aren't compatible?
They're ever so much cheaper than Apple in this country. :canada:

Mini review: Julius Caesar's "The Commentaries" is loving awesome. :hist101:
The narrator is clear, deep, and very well-spoken, with his Great Britainish accent.

No, he works for another company trying to steal audible customers. No DRM, so they'll work on your sony.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

groverat posted:

Tiffany Aching series - written by Terry Pratchett and read by Stephen Briggs (sample)
Briggs does a wonderful job of being hilarious and touching, which Pratchett himself is so good at. Another case of a reader just capturing a tone and feel perfectly.

I've always felt that Nigel Planer was better of the two.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

The proper way to use audible is to use your monthy credits on anything that costs $40 or so. That way you're getting it a huge discount. Then if there's anything cheap you want, just buy it outright. You get that members discount and you save your credits for those long expensive books. This has served me well for a long long time.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

mastur posted:

The reason is I don't want to. Poor, possibly, but still a good enough reason for me.

If you have a smart phone, you can just download straight to that. That's what I do, and I loving love it. The Audible Android App is loving amazing.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Mistborn is loving amazing. I think I've probably listened to the books about five times.

Edit: The politics are very simple. Though I still enjoyed them.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

coyo7e posted:

How much pulling of braids and/or wailing about one's godlike powers that you're too pussy to use, can I expect from the Mistborn books?

This is extremely important.

Generally speaking there is some :emo: in there, but being scared to use said powers isn't the problem. It's more of "Im a teenage girl, were do I fit in?" type stuff.

Actually, anytime she doesn't have her powers after she learns how to use them is pretty much "Motherfucker, I'm goddamned useless. Give me some metals!" like a crack addict.

Edit: The only problem I had with the series was that midway through book two I figured out how book 3 was going to end. Though I'm not sure if I'm just clever or Sanderson dropped the ball somewhere.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Kestral posted:

Sanderson dropped the ball. The second book is dreadful.

I remember enjoying it for the most part. Just wasn't as good as the others.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

quote:

Skippyjon Jones is crazy-loco for dinosaurs! The kitty boy enters (via his closet) the land of dinosaurs in search of the fabled Skipposaurus. Instead he runs into his old amigos, the Chimichango gang. When a T-Mex threatens the pack, it's El Skippito, the great sword fighter, to the rescue.

This sounds pretty promising :downs:

Though I was really curious who would buy these? Are people literally to busy to read to their children these days? Or do you suppose schools mostly buy them?

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Tithin Melias posted:

Downloaded and listened to most of the first Dresden files audiobook and am quite impressed with it, I am irked however by Audibles continued division of the planet and preventing me from getting any audiobook past #4 in the series though.

It's not the only series that this has happened to me with, the name of the wind was recommended in this thread and is not obtainable through audible outside of america.

Living in canada, I have just learned to accept this as life. There are services allover the US that I want, but cannot have. For example, Netflix in Canada is loving terrible. No Pandora or Last FM. Hulu and sites like it are all a mystery to me. So yeah, if you're not in the US of A, expect to get the shaft with anything digital.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Mister Macys posted:

loving protectionist canadian content requirements! :argh:

The worst part is that canadian content is usually terrible :canada: