Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
I've got a job where 90% of the time I'm at a computer, doing mind-numbingly boring work. Audiobooks have been a godsend. It really is a different experience from reading, the narrator does make a big difference. I've read "America: The Book" and listened to the audiobook, and I could recommend experiencing both. With the book you get all the diagrams, pictures, etc; whereas with the audiobook you get all of the word stress, timing, etc that make comedy... comedy.

Virtual Light by William Gibson was one of my favorites. I thought American Gods (Neil Gaiman) had a pretty mediocre narrator though. I tried starting a Haruki Murakami book (I can't remember which, might have been After Dark) and the narrator was so grating that I had to stop 5 minutes in. Richard K Morgan's Takeshi Kovacs trilogy is pretty well done but I skipped through the sex scenes. Robert A Heinlein's The Moon is a Harsh Mistress was somewhat unusual; the book is written in a sort of nadsat-esque clipped prose, which the reader also added a Russian accent to. It sounds annoying and gimmicky but it wasn't (at least for me), I actually enjoyed it a lot.

Not-fiction: Maybe not technically "books", but The Teaching Company's series' are
pretty good. Lewis Black's Me of Little Faith sucked, but that's more a fault of the source material than the format.

Libraries are a great source of audiobooks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

The Flying Milton posted:

I finished The God Delusion last week and I really think Dawkin's smarmy tone ruined it for me.

The :smug: tone is the best part, imo. I didn't really care for the woman (isn't it his wife or something?) reading though.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Redfont posted:

Not sure if this has been mentioned already:

There's an audio version of World War Z by Max Brooks. I'd only read a little of the original text book, but I recognized quickly that each interviewee having their own voice was a huge difference. And the voice acting is just fantastic, Alan Alda (Hawkeye from M*A*S*H) is the most notable (or at least, recognizable).

You sort of have to be really interested in zombie stuff, but if you can get into it, it's a good book. Definitely worth checking out.

I actually hate the whole zombie (sub)genre but most of the stories were pretty good.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Mathlete posted:

I have a job this summer painting walls all day long and audiobooks have been my salvation. I can listen to about three-fourths of one per day if I get into the story or about half of one if I feel like listening to music for a few hours.

Anyway, I'm trying to save money at the moment and I've had to resort to free resources. Thankfully, there are many free recordings of good quality that are widely available. Here (besides my city's main branch public library which has an excellent collection) are a few of my favorites:

Inter-Library Loan owns bones, I've got a nearly inexhaustible supply of free audiobooks that way. I listen to them primarily at work, really helps the day go by faster.

Just got through The Moon is a Harsh Mistress for the second time, the ending is well-read and the narrator makes it more poignant than just reading the text. I think I've pimped it in this thread before, but the book was originally written in a kind of nadsat-esque style (being told from the point of view of a future resident of the Moon, where there's a heavy Russian influence) so the whole book is narrated with a Russian accent, dropped articles, etc. It works really well, IMO.

Just started Richard K Morgan's "Thirteen" ("Black Man" in the UK) and really enjoying it so far, grabbed my attention out of the gate.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
To be honest, I find more than one reader distracting.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

miguel sanchez posted:

Ugh.

I'm not much of a reader but I'm realy into audiobooks and Roy Dotrice pretty much made the series for me. Now I'm onto AFFC and the guy they got to replace him is a huge disappointment.

Roy Dotrice is not that good of a reader IMO; he doesn't have a very big range of voices, which really hamstrings something like ASoIaF.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Ridonkulous posted:

David Sedaris, The earlier the better (opinion, not the name of a book).

Yeah, I've only listened to "When You Are Engulfed in Flames" and while it's funny in parts, it can be pretty tedious.

I dunno if they have stand-up routines on Audible, but those are great for long car rides.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Mister Macys posted:

Here's a one-sentence, end-of-year review for the books I grabbed this year:

Awesome, was just getting to the end of my existing queue of audiobooks to listen to.

By the way, The God Delusion works really well as an audiobook, probably better than it does in print.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Island Nation posted:

If anyone uses iTunes, 39 audiobooks of public domain works are being sold for $2 a piece. It claims to be presented by Audible so they might be better quality than ones from Librivox or Internet Archive since I would assume these were recorded by professionals.

Mentioned earlier in the thread, but check out Lit2Go for public domain audiobook freebies.

Your local library is another good source for free audiobooks, with interlibrary loan I can find an audiobook mentioned in this thread more often than not!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Mister Macys posted:

The Automatic Detective
Authour: A. Lee Martinez
Narr. - Marc Vietor
Imagine a detective story... set in a dystopian future city of mutants, psychics, robots, and radiation, starring a seven-foot tall prototype warbot... just trying to make an honest living, like the rest of us. Relatively new authour on the sci-fi scene, too. Gonna keep checking his stuff out.
5/5

You pretty much just sold me on this. I just bought DwD (the Kindle version, assuming the audio is a ways off) for my upcoming 13 hour plane ride, but this looks like a solid #2.