Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

coyo7e posted:

Quite good, and it was way easier to burn a few credits to get the entire series on audible, than it was to buy them, I mean the paperbacks are 12-15 bucks each if you can find them.

I'd only previously seen the movies, it's pretty wild/great how drastically different the books are. There was a lot more creative license taken in the movies than I realized, and the first book is like 6 times the length/depth as the first movie.. Also the protagonist (and the entire night watch group) is a lot darker and "grey" than I realized.

I really preferred the books to the movies, although I read them first. A lot of the scenes in the movie felt like scenes from the book taken out of context, and that really bothered me. I never considered picking up the audiobooks but it might be worth it. Who reads them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

budgieinspector posted:

Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell, by Susanna Clarke. 32 hours.

How is that, by the way? The actual book relies so much on footnotes that I'm curious how it works in audio book form

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Razor Jacksuit posted:

Audible's "Holiday Relief" 2-for-1 sale this week includes outright white supremacist recruitment literature. Anyone know if there's a way to report that?

That is probably working As Intended for Amazon.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

XBenedict posted:

Definitely the Stephen Fry narration.

Yeah the Stephen Fry narration is amazing and you can get the entire set for one audible credit which is like 70 hours of listening right there.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mr Owl posted:

The new book from Andy Weir (of the Martian) is out (called Project Hail Mary) and the audiobook is excellent

His writing style really suits it

Yeah I haven't really enjoyed any of his stuff from The Martian but this one I enjoyed quite a bit. It's pretty silly at times but in a mostly enjoyable way and the big twist near the end actually did catch me off guard.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Any good adventure stories at all? Something engaging that isn't in the "and now everyone is dead" genre?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Thanks for the recommendations!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Are there any good audiobook stories in the vein of something like Carl but actually finished?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I tried listening to Expanse and got to the book where there is a completely hackneyed "we're going to FRAME the PROTAGONIST so EVERYONE HATES HIM" plotline and dropped it right there. Maybe it gets better but I wasn't in the mood to deal with a book of everyone being a moron and believing an obvious lie for cheap drama.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, I will freely admit, I almost turned off DCC in the first hour because "Oh loving lord it's about some stupid Manly fuckhead with an Evil Slut Girlfriend getting magic powers and going to an isekai world" gave me hives, and if not for the excellent work of the reader there is no way I would have gotten far enough into it to actually like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

I've been getting into Marvel Comics as of late and I had no idea that, not only are there many Marvel prose stories and novelizations of important comic storylines, many of those have been turned into audiobooks. I was curious if anyone here has tried any? If not, maybe you'll have some interest. I'm getting sucked into a rabbit hole myself.

X-Men and Spider-Man: Time's Arrow: A Marvel Omnibus
X-Men Mutant Empire
Daredevil: Predator's Smile. I pickd this one up since I'm in a DD mood and figured why not. Apparently mostly about Bullseye.

Then there are novelizations of important comics stories:
Daredevil: Guardian Devil I've head ithe original story is not great but it is kinda important so I might just listen to this rather than read teh comic, I dunno.
Daredevil: The Man Without Fear
X-Men: The Dark Phoenix Saga.

I remember reading and liking Time's Arrow as a kid but I have no idea if it'd hold up now.