Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paddyo
Aug 3, 2007
If you like Lamb, try A Dirty Job, also by Christopher Moore. Probably the most laugh out loud moments I've ever gotten out of a book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paddyo
Aug 3, 2007

Government Handjob posted:

Dungeon Crawler Carl has been mentioned a couple of times the last few pages so I'm a little late to the party, but I bought the first book two weeks ago and holy hell what a fun series this turned out to be. I usually don't listen to podcasts or audiobooks when I'm not commuting or working but I have spent several hours just chilling on my couch listening to Jeff Hayes saying the most insane poo poo and having a grand ol' time. I'm about a third of the way through book 6 now and I'm dreading having to wait for new releases.

Ugh - I plowed through all six audiobooks a couple of months ago and have been going through serious withdrawals. I guess you can join his Patreon to get access to the new chapters of book 7 as they come out, but I can't imagine that story without Jeff Hayes doing his thing. That guy is amazing.

MONGO IS APPALLED!

Paddyo
Aug 3, 2007

kaaj posted:

DCC is seriously one of the best pieces of entertainment I listened to.

It will seriously get inside your head and stay there rent-free. My wife and I both listened to the series separately around the first of the year and now we're both running through it a second time. Something about the source material and the narration is just so goddamn entertaining.

Paddyo
Aug 3, 2007

Soonmot posted:

With DCC, I actually think the books are Good. Not just familiar or comfortable. The way you learn about Carl's relationship with his ex, his father and mother, the trauma he's already been through, really works. Learning how to hold onto your humanity in a horrible situation, or with Donut, maturing into a caring person instead of a self centered child. Themes of found family or capitalism eating itself along side everything else, the bits of body horror sprinkled throughout. It's good.

I'm a guy who basically doesn't cry, and DCC and Jeff Hayes have gotten me to choke up more than once. You're right - it's GOOD. The tough part is working up the guts to recommend it to other people, because it's LitRPG and it's called loving Dungeon Crawler Carl.