Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

3spades posted:

Its easy to use but that fucker drains battery like nothing should. Every time I am done listening I have to go to the running apps and kill it or it will drain the battery while idle. It averaged 35% of my battery use on 2hours a day listen and using the widget for quick access.
Jesus, dude. What phone do you have? I often listen to audible all day long and have half a charge left at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Farecoal posted:

Why the hell did Detrice change his voice for Melisandre in ADWD? It was so awesome before, it made her sound really menacing and manipulative. Now she sounds like an old Chinese sterotype :(
I believe that the general consensus is that there was far too much time before ADWD came out, and he didn't go back and bother to remember what the voices he'd used previously, sounded like.

Personally, it makes me feel like he phoned it in.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Geektox posted:

Anyone listen to the Game of Thrones/ASoIF audiobooks? There seems to be a couple of narrators, and I'm not sure which one to go with.

Also, is a Audible Gold membership worth it? If I understand correctly, it seems I can get one books of the series free every month for $14.95, whereas if I bought them individually they'd cost me $31.95 a month apiece. Is that how the monthly credit works?

e: used wrong word

I went to the 2 credit subscribe after 6 months or so, and now I am gonna ease back a bit since I have been getting a ton of audiobooks but not having time to get to them all yet. I love having a half dozen books I haven't read yet, in every device I own. Great for walks and biking and stuff.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Maybe you should try some self-help books about overcoming your personal sexual hangups.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Thesaurus posted:

Can you recommend any books that deal with my specific hangup? It involves being turned off by listening to extended graphic descriptions of a mishappen dwarf having sex with a prostitute, read by an old man impersonating a woman's voice.
Don't start with The Bible.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Mister Macys posted:

Joe Abercrombie's First Law Trilogy.

It's a gently caress of a lot less boring than GRRM's long-winded, neurotic crap, and the narrator is excellent, rather than sounding like a crummy Hagrid knock-off.
Seriously, Dotrice is terrible, and emotional scenes just sound tired and forced.
Steven Pacey speaks with so much real emotion, you'd think he wrote Abercrombie's books himself.
It also has a widely diverse class of characters from all walks of life, rather than just focussing on the loving ruling class, too.

How do you feel about Zelazny's Amber? Honestly curious. Also the audio books' narrator's quality, if you have heard them?

I just started them this month, and I am digging his sort of noirish narrator prose, and clipped dialogue.

I read the first three GRRMs before I got the audio, but holyshit are they looooooooong to listen to! :(

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Aug 31, 2012

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I've never had any complaints about Audible's service, once I changed my subscription from 2 credits to one but they charged me twice, for two and then one, for some reason (I'd made the change pretty close to the renewal date,) and when I called up I was treated very courteously and they reversed both the charges and confirmed that I was on the 1-a-month subscription.

I got 3 free credits that month, and went back to two credits shortly after since I was tearing through books.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
No I'm intrigued though, since I have a bunch of ebooks and some of them I also have on audible.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Got Cloud Atlas. It's got a great narrator.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
^^^^ I read the first and second recently, they were great, although I kind of wandered away from the second book midstory, I'll definitely re-listen to them both sometime in the near future. I'm kind of kicking myself for not having picked these up 10 or 20 years back since I've been hearing about them all my life, but I thought it was a much more stereotypical High Fantasy setting.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

leftover posted:

Scott Sigler was already mentioned in this thread, and I'm almost done with all of his audio stuff... so I was hoping someone has any good recommendations for some other horror novels in audiobook format.

I'm usually not into the horror genre, but I found them to be pretty entertaining to listen to, especially when I make disgusted faces around work or at home to other's amusement. I really liked Scott's over the top blood, gore, and all around horrific scenes.

Anything zombie-ish would be great too, though I've already read Feed by Mira Grant, Patient Zero by Jonathan Maberry, and World War Z by Max Brooks.

edit: Forgot to mention I already plan on reading th rest of Mira Grant's newflesh trilogy.
First things first, did you listen to his podcasts full of advertisements for other podcasters and indie authors? At least every other one is for a horror 'cast or author, I was especially pleased with the Seventh Son series which I found from a co-advert which he put on his podcast in return for the other author advertising his, iirc.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

leftover posted:

I actually read that book, just thought I'd mention it since I was asking for zombie titles.

Thanks for the suggestion, it's next in queue as I'm almost done with the newflesh trilogy, then I'll work my way through the 7th Son series coyo7e reminded me of.
That should keep me going for a few months!
If you're game for non-horror, I would most strongly recommend Seth Harwood's website, and anything by him.

"Jack Wakes Up" is great fun along the lines of "Get Shorty" or something, and "A Long Way From Disney" can pull tears.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Kneel Before Zog posted:

Any suggestions for an audiobook with a narrators voice that can lull me to sleep?
The National Parks narrated by Ken Burns.

Last Call: The Rise and Fall of Prohibition is excellent, entertaining, and very engrossing.

Nine Princes in Amber also has a narrator which I enjoy listening to as I nod off - the narrator and prose for Corwin feel sort of clipped or curt, like a hard-boiled private eye in a crime noir movie.\

non-literary recommendation: Hardcore History from the Dan Carlin podcast. Extremely high production values; Dan Carlin has been a radio professional for many years, and it shows. http://www.dancarlin.com/disp.php/hh

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Nov 29, 2012

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I didn't know much of anything about him until I got into Amber recently however, he's a pretty cracked pot. That quote of his where he's bitching about there not having been a NAMBLA around when he was a horny confused minor were :psypop:

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

mystes posted:

You're thinking of Samuel Delany.
Sorry, my bad! :D

And yeah, iTunes is a miserable way to organize your audiobooks. I had to rename a lot of files as well when I used it for podcasts and stuff.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Ulio posted:

Thanks Macys, I'll see if they do a book I want to read.
I know some authors do narration themselves, are those any good or is it better to just go with pros?
William Gibson's self-reading of Neuromancer was remarkably poorly panned when it first came out, and has caused me to read all of his poo poo in an even worse monotone.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Prophaniti posted:

Taking my newborn out for long walks is begging for audiobooks. I found the shortstory Thanasphere by Kurt Vonnegut which wasn´t bad and after that Wintersmith by Terry Prattchet performed by Steven Briggs, which is nothing short of amazing. His naration is great, his voices fit the world of discworld perfectly. I several times walked around my town with a wide grin on my face and laughed at complete strangers.

Living in cold old scandinavia, would Audible.com work for me or is it US only?
They're owned by AMazon, so depends on how your experience is with kindle, etc, imho.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I wasn't nearly as impressed with the rest of the series, after a while you get awful tired of pages-long descriptions of jumping around by flicking coins.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I dunno, I had a hard time remaining engaged in the second book due to the lack of a certain character who provided a lot of personality for me. I kind of lost interest and wandered away from the series, I think halfway or 2/3 through the third book.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Ice Phisherman posted:

and Lev Grossman's The Magicians (I wanted to like this book, but it pushed far past the deep end for smugness and self-indulgence).

Just a heads up for you folks, maybe there are some terrible books that you want out of your library to exchange for different books. I didn't ask for money though, but I didn't want it either.
Unfortunately, the smugness and self-indulgence of the characters is entirely the point of that novel.

Thanks a ton for the heads-up though, I've got some regrettably terrible books that I picked up from the sci-fi thread etc, which ended up being unreadable/unlistenable.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Picked up John Dies at the End on audible. Narration is excellent, book is ridiculous and I've definitely been cracking up a lot at work while listening to it.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Danith posted:

I just got lasik and today my eyes are so dry and blurry I just want to keep them closed and listen to a book but they are so expensive! I was looking at that book someone posted at the top, Theft of Swords: Riyria Revelations, Book 1 and it's like $42 unless I want to try out a audible subscription :|
If you go to a book store and look at the price in the audiobook section (or just the price of a new and popular hardcover), $42 doesn't seem out of place at all. Treat audible like netflix which also has sales no their stock, for good deals, sometimes.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Wade Wilson posted:

The voices of Mr. Wednesday and Mr. Ibis in particular were very good in the full cast American Gods, though (and Czernobog, but come on).

Girl Sam was also actually funny in the audiobook where I was kind of annoyed by her when I read her in the book first.
The audiobook made me decide that they need to make American Gods with Vin Diesel as Shadow. I don't give a gently caress about the hair, but I dug that VA's voice.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Meme Emulator posted:

You guys need to expand your horizons a little bit :)
You need to keep track of audiobooks which have multiple versions, which may also be abridged or unabridged, on top of having different VAs. You also need to use less white space.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

bpower posted:

Hardcore History just released a new episode about religious mania in medieval Germany. I don't think I ever sat slaw-jawed for so long. Its absolutely chilling. Highly recommended.
The Anabaptist episode, 48? I don't mean to be all :smugdog::pipe: or anything however, that was released on 4/22/13. I got it last month via BeyondPod and the RSS feed.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Wade Wilson posted:

It took me entirely too long to realize who one of the main characters was relative to the first book in the series in that one.

I broke down and got John Dies at the End because I had a $10 coupon from other purchases on Audible and that made it pretty cheap and drat, I should have got this book sooner, it's hilarious.

Blasting Whitesnake on the radio to ward off a demon is hilarious.
The only thing that novel was missing was a reference to the hit song, "Angel Witch," from the album, "Angel Witch," by the band, "Angel Witch." I lost my poo poo a few times during the scene where John is running around smacking poo poo with a chair and parroting bad Pro Wrestling one-liners.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

xcore posted:

This, but I would also like to ask; Why are audiobooks so goddamn expensive? Something about membership rubs me the wrong way (I would really like to keep the stuff I read/listen to). $35 bucks for a book just seems massively steep. Surely the costs involved in a audiobook are less than a printed paperback but paperbacks are more than half the price.
Look at the price for a new hardcover book. The newest GRRM, for instance. Easily $30. Now add in the costs of a recording studio, man-hours for the VA, the editors, agreements to publish in a new format (lawyers!), etc, and yeah I can see how audiobooks can cost $60. I don't like it, so I vote with my wallet by using audible to cherry-pick the spendy ones.

Syrinxx posted:

Podcasts are just people who are too lazy to write. Audiobooks are pretty much the opposite.
Bullshit. Listen to any single episode from any show here, for an example of how lazy podcasting is: http://www.dancarlin.com/disp.php/hh

I've certainly listened to more than a few audibooks with far worse production values and editing than any random episode you can pull from that show.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
^^^^ I think a lot of GRRM's audiobooks are 2 credits on audible, or at least they were when I got them years back.

Also, what happened with the Returns thing on audible? I picked up Ex-Heroes and whew is it ever a stinker, but I can't figure out how/where to try and return it on amazon or audible. :(

Wade Wilson posted:

That is a poo poo example because that podcast makes money from donations and merchandise sales, something audiobooks don't have the advantage of being funded by.
There are plenty of audiobook authors who've solicited donations and sold schwag (long before they had any books in paper print or ebook, they often released them serially as podasts a great deal of the time, and all their web pages had bigass DONATE HERE buttons when they started), I can think of a few off the top of my head.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Syrinxx posted:

Go to your Account Details: https://www.audible.com/account-details

Scroll down to purchase history and you can see which books are eligible for return. Just click on "eligible" and the return window pops up.

e: It also tends to offer you a return if you rate/review a book at 1 or 2 stars.
Aha, thanks! I had no idea that was way down there. They seem to be pretty generous about the timetable as well, I bought Ex-Heroes two months ago and never listened to it until the other day, but could only stand about an hour of "people living in a movie lot, while superheroes tell them what to do and go out looking for stuff." I also have a pretty tough time taking most non-graphic superhero stuff seriously (although the "BlackJack" series I got on amazon recently was so over the top it was pretty fun.)

edit: the Black Count meanders a lot at the beginning (and probably a lot, later, as well,) but it's really riveting. The entire premise of Dumas' greatest crime in his novels being about allowing someone to be forgotten, really changed the way I look at his works. And John Dies at the End had me crying I laughed so much. I haven't done American Psycho yet, the novel took a while to work into the rhythmn so I'm saving that one for a special occasion. ;)

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Strange Matter posted:

Haha the Dune audiobook cast is awesome. Sure, let's have Leto talk with an American accent and give Paul an English one. Also have Gurney Halleck be played buy a comedian doing a Jack Nicholson impression.
That's almost enough to make me buy it on the spot.

"Heeeeere's Gurney!"

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I got The Left Hand of God off audible recently since I wanted to re-read the series, and the narrator is not that great. He's kind of a monotone and doesn't do much to differentiate between characters' voices during dialogue, etc. I am not stoked on his job at all however, the book is still solid (if a little overly grimdark a la the Prince of Thorns series) fare.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Thanks, I've been reading this thread for a while though.

The second book has a different narrator who's way better however, and it wasn't horrific, just not on the level I had wanted for the first book.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

yoslow posted:

I have an 8 hour car ride, anyone have any comedy audio book recommendations similar to Zombie Spaceship Wasteland by Patton Oswalt?

John Dies at the End, but it's longer than 8 by a good deal.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

mastajake posted:

I'm listening to the Song of Ice and Fire audiobooks and really enjoying them. The narrator is really good at voices.
Unfortunately in the later books he seems to have forgotten what the voices he had used previously sounded like - I presume since it took so long between books..

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Mojo Threepwood posted:

Thanks for the tip, downloading now.! It was rated around 4.7, looks well worth a credit.
I really enjoyed this series on audio as well, although I had to back up and relisten a lot (and I also missed out on the sweet sketchbook art referred to when the one girl is drawing flora and fauna, in the print/ebook formats).

Rapacity posted:

I haven't read the whole thread so apologies if this has been mentioned but I recently listened to the audiobook of A Clockwork Orange on YouTube and it is superb. I had my doubts about the likely quality of an audio version given the unique language of the book but this narrator absolutely slays it. If there's the equivalent of an Oscar for audiobooks, this guy deserves it.

Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9m1f2pT0ksw
Rather than declaring him in need of an award, would it be possible to purchase a copy instead of streaming it off of a sketchy-looking youtube channel?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

fliptophead posted:

Prior to this was Infected narrated by the author Scott Sigler. It follows the plight of an ex college footballer cut down in his prime due to a knee injury who is one of the first to be infected by this virus which turns people into homicidal maniacs. He also has daddy issues. There is a CIA guy whose partner is killed by one of the infected and now bears a grudge against any infected person and a doctor for the CDC who is tasked with finding out what's causing the infections along with her whacky sidekick. The book was alright but I got bored in places as it seemed to just repeat the same scenes over and over. He is an enthusiastic narrator but terrible with female characters (as a counterpoint to the above). As background this story was originally self published on the web as a serialized podcast then later picked up by Crown Publishing. There are spots where the editor could make some major cuts and not impact the story in any way. The good news is that is enjoyable schlock and I'll be getting the next one in the series once I'm ready for more.
I used to regularly listen to Sigler as he released new stuff, Infected was too "body-horror trigger" for me to stay with. I listened to several other novels of his which he also narrated and had a good time. I'm an especially big fan of his galactic football league series beginning with The Rookie. And I don't even like football! :D

The fun thing about listening to Sigler is that he really hams it up a lot and is obviously enjoying himself a ton.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Syrinxx posted:

Picked up a couple books I wanted, thanks. I wish there was a way to permanently filter out "lovely vampire Twilight love books for dumbasses" on Audible.
And zombies.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Sir Rabia Tirnova posted:

Audible has a sale on atm for "under the radar" books for $4.00

http://www.audible.com/mt/HGMAY14/?source_code=AUDOREM04241499FF
Harry Connoly's Twenty Palaces series was pretty fun for me, sort of an underdoggier Dresden Files without the constant harping on driving a lovely little VW Bug everywhere, and without the inevitable super-saiyan powerup deus ex machinas. I was sad that the series was dumped and hope he manages to kickstart it or w/e the plan was to get it rolling, again.

Also there's some Clive Barker - I've always wanted to read The Hellbound Heart.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 21:52 on May 12, 2014

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
So here's a request, anyone have recommends on fiction or non-fiction about nature, fishing, hunting, camping and the like? Something along the lines of A River Runs Through It would be most excellent, or perhaps some Steinbeck (although they seem to not be available for purchase on audible right now, which is a shame because I'd love to listen to Cannery Row or Travels With Charlie again). I'm trying to break the second or third inception level by going fishing and listening to a book about fishing and stuff.

Not Patrick McManus or other comedy "sports" writers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Mister Macys posted:

Does Jeremy Wade's memoir on the making of River Monsters count?

It has fishing in it. :v:

I liked it.
That's probably right in the stream with what I'm looking for however, how can I see sweet shirtless pics of a 60 year-old man if it's all audio-based? :ohdear: