Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Nosy_G posted:

For all of you people bitching that The Wheel of Time is too long/too hard to read, (because of all the skirt-smoothing, etc.,) I find that the audiobooks by Michel Kramer and Kate Reading are an easy way to enjoy the books (not to mention figuring out how to pronounce some of the names in those book).

Anyone complaining that TWoT is too hard to read has never picked up the War of Light and Shadow series by Janny Wurts. :D

Not sure if I've mentioned them before or not, but I'm really loving the Dresden Files audiobooks as read by James Marsters (Spike from Buffy) - his voice really suits Harry Dresden well.

I tried the first Sookie Stackhouse audiobook narrated by Johanna Parker and couldn't really get into it - I don't know whether it was her voice or just the accent she put on for it, but it really just started grating on me after a while.

If you are a fan of How I Met Your Mother, then its pretty much a must to pick up the audio version of The Bro Code - its read by Neil Patrick Harris and is a good way to pass a couple of hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

The General posted:

Though one thing to look out for is to make sure your MP3 player supports audible.
That isn't so much of an issue - it takes a fair bit of fiddling and googling to set it up, but you *can* convert audible files to mp3 fairly painlessly. I use it on my Win7 computer when I want to listen to audiobooks on my old Sony Walkman NW-HD1 - which is what I use on my motorcycle when I don't want to risk my iPhone.

Edit: For other AudioBooks sites, Podiobooks.com has a bunch of free audiobooks, they release them chapter by chapter though, which may or may not be your thing. The quality is very hit and miss too.

Tornhelm fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Dec 1, 2009

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

The General posted:

It is a pretty big issue when your laptop can hardly run MSN, firefox and iTunes at the same time. The processing power to turn Audible into MP3 is pretty significant and would mean hours where I couldn't use it. Then there's the issue if your MP3 player sucks (as it probably does if it doens't support Audible) that you end up with 8 hour MP3 files that you can't bookmark or quickly navigate large lengths of time (gently caress you Sansa).

But you are right, just tossing it out there.

Not really, if your laptop is slow its just an issue of time. On my current PC it took about 5 minutes to convert the latest Wheel of Time and that was 4 parts. Audible files are pretty much just wrapped mp3's anyway so it isn't actually that problematic.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

PBCrunch posted:

I finished it today. The story got a lot better, the narration became more appropriate to the subject matter. I recommend this book and I am moving right on to the sequel Freedom.

There was a ton of whining on Amazon about Daemon having a crappy ending but I disagree. The ending was just about perfect, the rest of the book just isn't quite what you think it is.

Though there is one extremely amoral character that I really want to see dead in the next book, hopefully close to the beginning.

I was going to grab these, only to find out that they aren't available from Audible if you live in Australia (gently caress you Daniel Suarez!). I've been tempted to cancel my Audible account lately, just because of how many credits are starting to build up in my account from not being able to find fun new things to listen to.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

I've just grabbed the Percy Jackson books from Audible to chew up my excess credits, and then I sent an email to cancel my subscription. So far, I'm enjoying the first book (about 1/3 of the way through) but glad I've got rid of the account.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Tanith posted:

Does Audible produce their own stuff, or do they just resell other companies' products? I know they're an Amazon subsidiary and all that.

Both. They do in-house stuff, and then there's things like The Dresden Files which they yoink from Buzzy Multimedia who do them.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

I ended my subscription (another Aussie) for the same reason that imnotinsane did. The sheer amount of content we don't have access to due to region locking just pissed me off immensely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Wade Wilson posted:

Just got an email from Audible where I get to pick a free book from a random selection of five books.

My selection was a bunch of crap books that I was about to ignore, then I saw something called "The Sagan Diary" by John Scalzi and I know I've read him mentioned on here somewhere, so I got it for the hell of it.

Hell, it's free. :effort:

John Scalzi is usually a good read, from memory though The Sagan Diary was more like book 2.5 of the series and you really should read at least Old Man's War (the second book The Ghost Brigades would help too) before listening to it. To be honest, its probably the weakest work he's done.