Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

jeeves posted:

Sci-fi recommend: The Bobiverse books

A computer programmer named Bob signs a contract to freeze his body, and them immediately dies in a car accident. He wakes up a hundred years later to find out that he is a AI copy of Bob and has been tasked with piloting a self-replicating probe to explore the galaxy. The books basically follow him as he slowly becomes a machine god with dozens of copies of himself all becoming their own characters.

I really enjoyed these books, even if by book three some of the side plots kinda go in the weeds a bit. I thought they would be like super light trash from the description, but I was surprised.

They are good but I recommend people fast forward through the side plots in the later books like you mentioned. Fair warning they aren't hard scifi but they are fun.

CrazySalamander posted:

Audible has How to Defeat a Demon King in Ten Easy Steps in its free May originals. It also offers a free month trial to anybody so you can also get another free book and cancel if you want. The book is a bit of a love letter/parody of Zelda and RPGs in general, but it is comedy first and foremost.

Mister Facetious posted:

Yeah, I finished listening to it a few days ago. It was my first LitRPG-esque experience; very much a combination of Endro! (anime) meets zelda dungeons and hero myth, combined with Dragon Quest monsters.
Honestly it wasn't really my thing; I'm not big on isekai/meta RPG in general, but I found it just had way too much exposition on the mechanics and it just comes off hokey as gently caress to me. Loved the narrator and solution at the end though.

Join us in the audiobook thread if you're not already checking it out; it could always use more traffic

From what I understand the mechanics hullabaloo is very much influenced by Japanese isekai light novels- I've read a couple of translated ones and the mechanics talk in HtDaDKiTES (woah, HT dadkites, it actually spells something) is comparable to those. I think part of the reason I enjoyed it so much was that I love watching speedruns and how people do things that look really stupid and end up breaking the game over their knees, so to me listening was like cozying up to a nice long session of watching AGDQ or SGDQ.

CrazySalamander fucked around with this message at 02:29 on May 28, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

Lester Shy posted:

I'm a dumbass. I didn't realize that you had to maintain an active Audible subscription to use your credits. I signed up for the "4 months at half price" deal a while back, and I've racked up 5 credits that I need to spend before I cancel my subscription, which renews tomorrow. So I'm looking for recommendations.

I'm mainly looking for SF/F and horror, and I have zero interest in a multi-book series. Short storie collections are even better, and I value good narration above all else.

The Martian by Andy Weir is a good choice. I'd also recommend William Shakespeare's Star Wars: Verily, A New Hope. Just like the movie it's based on, it can stand on its own just fine.

And as far as the whole credit thing, you used to be able to keep credits indefinitely, but they decided that was too convenient.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

Jack B Nimble posted:

Why are there no audiobooks of Romance of three Kingdoms? Why does the google web crawler find me long dead posts from other people, like me, screaming into the void asking this question, and maybe one reply saying either "nah I don't think so" or "if there is one it's probably on audible".

Am I crazy? Am I thirty six years old and still not sure how to google? Please, please, prove me wrong, call me an idiot, anything, just help me either find an audio book for sale as a digital download or at least tell me with some certainty that there isn't one so I can quit looking.

Audible has an absurdly abridged version here: https://www.audible.com/pd/The-Three-Kingdoms-Audiobook/B00S8FD2HM

It is about 40 minutes long.

E: There is an abridged Chinese one on audible here: https://www.audible.com/pd/The-Romance-of-the-Three-Kingdoms-Audiobook/B0764LXKMQ but people don't like that one either.

E2:Someone is working on (but I don't know if they've completed) a podcast/youtube version http://www.3kingdomspodcast.com/subscribe-podcast/list-of-all-episodes/
https://www.youtube.com/user/3kingdomspodcast/featured

E3: And finally, if you're desperate for audio you can grab the text from gutenberg http://www.self.gutenberg.org/eBooks/WPLBN0002827913-Romance-of-the-Three-Kingdoms-by-Guanzhong-Luo.aspx and either record it yourself or make the computer either read and record it or just read it https://www.softwarert.com/convert-text-to-speech-audio-windows-10/ (though I shudder to imagine the pronunciation- if you choose this it may be wise to experiment with finding and replacing names with phonetic equivalents).

CrazySalamander fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jun 20, 2020

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
Audible, like every other company is first and foremost meant to separate people from the most money they can at the lowest cost to them possible. This informs their whole decision making process. The "doing equations" you talk about is part of this, because if you screw up it means more money for them. If you watch the shopping cart while ordering multiple books, it doesn't automatically apply the credits to the most expensive items, forcing you to do this manually. In practice a certain percentage of people will screw up and use their credit on the deal of the day, usually netting audible an extra $10 or so.

As far as cancellation, you keep your books but lose any spare credits. You used to keep the credits forever but they decided that was causing too many people to cancel when they let their credits pile up. You might lose audible content that is free access to members such as the workouts or meditations and not proper purchases. Free audible original stuff presumably counts in the purchase pile but I'm not 100% sure on that. This free audible original stuff is also part of audible's efforts to separate you from your money, because you fear missing out on a deal.

If you attempt to cancel your membership, they often will give you the option to pause your membership for 3 months or go to an unofficial every other month program, but there's no guarantee. I've heard some people say you can talk to customer service directly to get a deal for 1 credit every 3 months in some cases, but more likely the every other month mentioned earlier.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
She has also confirmed more books to be set in universe. To be fair I do expect there to be some retconning- whether intentional or not because all of her series I've read have had this happen. Don't get me wrong she's one of my favorite authors, but her high speed writing philosophy, much like other authors known for high speed (I'm looking at you Drew Hayes, and yes you're one of my favorites too) gets her into trouble at least once per series.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

CrazySalamander posted:

If you enjoyed this discussion, a fun book to read is How to Invent Everything: A Survival Guide for the Stranded Time Traveler by Ryan North. It's available in audio as well and makes for some nice summer listening.

I posted this in the small questions thread in response to a time travel discussion and figured I'd recommend it here as well. It's one of the few books read by the author that I've actually purchased after listening to the sample.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
2x (or more) is your friend. A lot of nonfiction is read slowly and there are often chapters in nonfiction that are mostly about how amazing the author is for finding this information.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

I'm always pleasantly surprised when I find good secondary philosophical literature in audiobook form. It's one thing to find an audiobook of say, Descartes' Meditations, but to find a good collection of essays on Descartes in audio form?

https://www.audible.com/pd/A-Companion-to-Descartes-Audiobook/B00CBG1104

The reviews on that one are great, lol.

quote:

Probably the worst book on audible
This book wasn’t for you, but who do you think might enjoy it more?
John Carriero's essay on Descartes was turbid and obtuse. I cannot believe that someone with a bachelor's degree would produce such numbing spew.

What could John Carriero and Janet Broughton have done to make this a more enjoyable book for you?
There is nothing positive about this. I bought it on the basis of the amazon reviews, which, I now realize, were lies.

What do you think the narrator could have done better?
Not narrated it.

You didn’t love this book... but did it have any redeeming qualities?
It did not.

Any additional comments?
Oxford University Press has disgraced, which it has been doing with increasing frequency.

quote:

execrable
What disappointed you about A Companion to Descartes?
It was very boring. Not illuminating. Gratuitous and myopic scholarship.

Has A Companion to Descartes turned you off from other books in this genre?
Not really, but John Carriero's contributions to this volume were singularly poor, and did make question the legitimacy of this ever-growing--but steadily deteriorating---secondary literature.

Have you listened to any of Annie Wauters’s other performances before? How does this one compare?
She is an excellent narrator. I don't wasted

If you could play editor, what scene or scenes would you have cut from A Companion to Descartes?
Everything that John Carriero wrote. He is sooo boring.

Any additional comments?
Why was this written?

Please report back and tell us if these are valid.

E: That metaphysics book seems to be on kindle for $16 right now if you want text.

CrazySalamander fucked around with this message at 06:31 on May 4, 2021

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

Mr Owl posted:

The new book from Andy Weir (of the Martian) is out (called Project Hail Mary) and the audiobook is excellent

His writing style really suits it

Seconding this. Excellent production value. If you enjoyed The Martian, you will enjoy this book.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
I’d recommend the murderbot diaries series by Martha Wells (starts with All Systems Red). The series does include multiple genders and the robots and the protagonist prefer the pronoun “it,” which is difficult to hear applied to sapient beings for many people.

All Systems Red introductory paragraph posted:

I could have become a mass murderer after I hacked my governor module, but then I realized I could access the combined feed of entertainment channels carried on the company satellites. It had been well over 35,000 hours or so since then, with still not much murdering, but probably, I don’t know, a little under 35,000 hours of movies, serials, books, plays, and music consumed. As a heartless killing machine, I was a terrible failure.

The biggest problem is that it is mostly a novella series with only two novel length books done more recently in the series and if it weren’t so good I would balk at the audio book prices. With this series always check if buying kindle book and adding audible narration is cheaper.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

Hardawn posted:

Not necessarily, I enjoy hearing about time-frames were we have developed preconceived notions of how people lived.

Something more akin to The Other Side of History: Daily Life in the Ancient World spanning any sort of specific topic that were particularly enjoyable.

but I will look into what you suggested, thanks.

Interestingly there’s some overlap between plague and narrative stuff in a book I highly recommend: David Quammen’s Spillover. His imagined narrative for the patient zero of HIV is pretty compelling and it is an excellent science book, though it is very eerie hearing his warnings about coronaviruses having a large potential to become a pandemic ( it was published in 2012).

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
Another good one to try is Ciaphas Cain: For the Emperor. It is regarded as one of the best series in the warhammer 40k universe. If you like it there are 5 more currently on audible.

E: There’s also All Systems Red by Martha Wells, the first book in the Murderbot Diaries, but some people balk at how short the first few are (the first few are novellas, not proper novels).

E2: It’s not quite history and not quite fantasy but the A Natural History of Dragons series by Marie Brennan is a great series set in a Victorian era style world where the main character is a woman who wants to study dragons and goes on expeditions to do so.

CrazySalamander fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Apr 6, 2022

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
Not dementia, but My Stroke of Insight is a good book by a neuroscientist who had a stroke. It can be a bit touchy-feely but it might scratch a similar curiosity itch if you aren’t specifically after dementia books. If you’re after information I think I would recommend a podcast such as Dementia Matters by the Wisconsin Alzheimer’s Disease Research Center rather than a book since research can go pretty fast.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
It’s possible that’s a device problem and not an app problem. Not every audio device implements Bluetooth correctly and most of the time apps muddle through by making assumptions but you can end up with weird glitches. I threw out my first Bluetooth headphones because they glitched and beeped/screamed at max volume in my ears.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
That’s the problem I have with audio dramas- I get used how to the audio book sounds and it’s hard to get into them.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
I looked it up and it made me laugh because the author has apparently added a blurb telling their fans to please skip the book.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

Mister Facetious posted:

God help me; I'm actually considering a litrpg series novel, because the narration editing in the sample seems really good.

Travis Baldree can make some of the most amateur attempts at writing sound amazing and cozy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

Tosk posted:

Might be slightly hard to follow the more out there scifi concepts in that one with audio alone.

A bit ironic for a book named blindsight.