Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kaaj
Jun 23, 2013

don't stop, carry on.
I'm really surprised how much fun I'm having listening to Dungeon Crawler Carl. I'm at book 4 and I think because of the pace at which I'm devouring it, it may be loosing a bit novelty. Still, I'm really happy with it being the first fiction audiobook series for me. I'm finding it very entertaining for now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaaj
Jun 23, 2013

don't stop, carry on.

UwUnabomber posted:

Dungeon Crawler Carl 6 just came out as an audio book with Patrick Warburton doing a cameo, probably as a joke about how close to Warburton's voice Carl's is. I managed to squeeze two more free credits out of audible for a free trial just to get it.

I’m about 8 hours in, really enjoying it so far.

kaaj
Jun 23, 2013

don't stop, carry on.
I finished all the Expanse books on Audible and first two books of Three Body Problem. Really enjoyed all of that. Dark Forest had more than one thought-provoking idea in it. I want to finish Death’s End now, though I must say it drags a little in the first few hours. Hope it will be worth it. Stil, Three Body Problem trilogy is worth listening to for Dark Forest alone.

I’ve got Blindsight recommended to me next - and all the recommendations from this thread. Keep them coming!

kaaj fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Feb 18, 2024

kaaj
Jun 23, 2013

don't stop, carry on.

Mister Facetious posted:

How did you like the entries after book five? I'm only up to Nemesis Games, and I'm not sure about continuing with the rest of them.

I had a midpoint crisis but ultimately I think I got attached to characters and just wanted to hear more of their adventures. Really liked the setting too. I’m trying to remember which part of conflict happened in book 5 and which in 6 but I did really enjoy the story after that.

kaaj
Jun 23, 2013

don't stop, carry on.

jeeves posted:

4-5-6 is the low point of that series.

When #6 was first released I totally thought that it was the end of the line the whole thing and was pretty annoyed. Thankfully the next third of the series takes such wild swings that it was worth it.

I didn’t watch the TV series but I believe that season 6 of it goes up to the end of book 6? Which may be an option to go through the slog. As you said, story in the last three books is worth it.

kaaj
Jun 23, 2013

don't stop, carry on.

cant cook creole bream posted:

The stuff he does may not be as highbrow, but I absolutely love Jeff Hays doing narrations. That guy is insane.
https://www.tiktok.com/@mattdinniman/video/7253325710570409259

I only know Jeff Hays from narrating Dungeon Crawler Carl books and his performance there easily put him as my personal Top 1 narrators.

kaaj
Jun 23, 2013

don't stop, carry on.

Soonmot posted:

I was gonna start a relisten to Incryptid since there was a new one out, but the first DCC was on sale for 6 bucks so I grabbed it instead. Guess I have a new series to listen too!

DCC is seriously one of the best pieces of entertainment I listened to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaaj
Jun 23, 2013

don't stop, carry on.
I started listening to Blindsight but I needed to pause mid book after realizing that I had no clue what the first half was about.

Need to give myself a break before picking it up again.