Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I'm really enjoying Mr. Paradise by Elmore Leonard, narrated by Robert Forster. So far I've enjoyed Elmore in paper book form, but figured I'd double my Leonard intake this way. Checked out a bunch of the previews, it's wild how much it'll vary depending on who the reader is. And it's so subject to taste, I find I seem to be a bit picky for fiction narrators that I get into. Less so for autobiographies read by the author, since those are like somebody sharing a personal anecdote.

Something about the chill way Forster relates this tale makes it feel like he's telling you a story. And keeps me in it. Captures my imagination, and maybe leaves some room for your interpretation. Different than the usual more polished style. This guy Frank Muller does some Elmore Leonard books on there and seems like a decent version of that more usual reading style, many different vibes. And it's always interesting how much it varies person to person in preference.

Plus for series you're often looking at different narrators for each book in the series, at least for some of the older stuff I'm looking into. But hey, it's cool to have options.

I'm considering checking out the Once Upon A Time in Hollywood book read by Jennifer Jason Leigh, also in a kind of atypical laid-back style.

Also, highly recommend A Movie Making Nerd by James Rolfe, that is 7.5 hours of life story perspective that flies right by. Really cool book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

A friend of mine read the script of Commando 2 in audiobook-esque fashion, was really good. He's a natural. Yes there's a really entertaining unproduced script for Commando 2 floating around out there.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Kilometers Davis posted:

Please post this.

Right on, alrighty here you go, the first five min chapter. If only they made this movie.

edit: removed by 20th Century Fox

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 00:34 on May 28, 2023

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

NikkolasKing posted:

Arthur Morgan Is Your American History Teacher in New Red Dead Redemption Audiobook

Audible Pre-Order. I'm doing it right now.
https://www.audible.com/pd/Red-Deads-History-Audiobook/B0CKM6FB83

Sorry I'm kinda obsessed with this game and this is an entirely unexpected blessing. I'm shouting to the rooftops for any other fans.

Sure, as Arthur would say, that sounds pretty cool.