Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
There is a reason why Timothy Zahn's original Thrawn trilogy from 1992 almost single-handedly revitalized the entire franchise.

It has some weird bits, but is definitely excellent pulp scifi. It's sad that Disney of course axed the entire canon that Zahn helped create, as I personally think it was far more interesting than Disney's own post Return of the Jedi movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Wil Wheaton sells for things aimed at "NERD(TM) CULTURE" in the mind of the suits who have no idea what that is besides knowing it has a ton of disposable income and the brand "Big Bang Theory."

Not to discredit him though, he does a great job playing snide know-it-all rear end in a top hat characters, especially in the first person. Of course... that's pretty much all that he is good at.

Great for the Martian-- if it already didn't have a perfect read from the narrator before.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Sci-fi recommend: The Bobiverse books

A computer programmer named Bob signs a contract to freeze his body, and them immediately dies in a car accident. He wakes up a hundred years later to find out that he is a AI copy of Bob and has been tasked with piloting a self-replicating probe to explore the galaxy. The books basically follow him as he slowly becomes a machine god with dozens of copies of himself all becoming their own characters.

I really enjoyed these books, even if by book three some of the side plots kinda go in the weeds a bit. I thought they would be like super light trash from the description, but I was surprised.

On that note, has anyone else noticed the rise of the amount of scifi genre trash being pushed out by Amazon/Audible lately? I'm guessing their going down the Netflix route of just pushing out as much content as possible to get dat money in.

jeeves fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Apr 13, 2020

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Does anyone know if whoever owns the rights to Dune has made a better version of the audiobook than the weird like half-effort of full cast for like 2/3rds and then the other third defaults to a normal narration?

I definitely remember listening to that in like ... 2008? It was weird to hear the Baron go from a deep voice to a Scottish voice from chapter to chapter.

It seems weird that with the hype train for the film meaning that tons of new editions of the original book have been released but that same audiobook doesn’t seem to have been replaced.

I guess if it is still making whoever money why bother re-making it?

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I know about the older Guidall version. It just seemed so weird that this half-effort of like 60% full cast for ~some~ chapters is still like the most readily available version of the book. Especially with how popular it is about to become.

I guess if it ain’t broke don’t fix it when it comes to media (ie: that audiobook version) made decades ago still printing money for a publisher.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Yeah, that’s what I’m talking about. It is a bizarre half effort of some chapters being fully cast and others not. For example the Baron goes from a deep voice to a Scottish accent randomly.

It’s so weird to push out that product, but hey, it’s gonna sell amirite

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I randomly found an unofficial 'Soundscape' audio books of Lord of the Rings on Archive.org and holy poo poo this dude knocks it out of the park.

Totes pro-listen.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
The Altered Carbon books seem to have some sort of obligatory chapter in each that is an extremely graphic sex scene like out of some romance novel. It’s very jarring especially since the rest of the books are so well done scifi.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Just don’t expect a story with a satisfying ending when reading Neal Stephenson.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
DCC is great (even though my brain always just equates those letters with Dungeon Crawl Classics) and the books definitely get better with each passing one. Book 5 is amazing, and I’ve heard 6 is even better— even if I am waiting for the audiobook before I dive into it.

I hear the books are such a hit that they’re re-recording the first book to fix some of the voices that were not really as high quality as the later books.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

cant cook creole bream posted:

This is probably my next audiobook series to go through. Jeff Hayes, Annie Ellicott and the other guys from Soundbooth Theater are really good at what they do And they certainly go the extra mile, when it comes to effects and stuff. Also, I looked at the narrators for DCC book 6 and apparently they also got Travis Baldree and Patrick Warburton for that one.

DCC is probably the best series that I've binged through in the last year, and Jeff Hayes' excellent narration definitely knocks it out of the ballpark. Especially once he really gets used to how amazingly great the cat sounds.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
He plays Carl’s lovely dad so it is pretty well cast.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
4-5-6 is the low point of that series.

When #6 was first released I totally thought that it was the end of the line the whole thing and was pretty annoyed. Thankfully the next third of the series takes such wild swings that it was worth it.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

kaaj posted:

I didn’t watch the TV series but I believe that season 6 of it goes up to the end of book 6? Which may be an option to go through the slog. As you said, story in the last three books is worth it.

Tv series def goes up to the end of season 6, but they made a completely baffling decision to adapt one of the short stories into like the first 10 minutes of each of season 6’s very brief 6 episodes. To like set what happens in season 7… which of course never got filmed.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
The dune one from the mid 2000’s is notorious for entire chapters missing from the full-cast readings and it just defaults back to the original single narrator.

It’s like, people are gonna buy dis poo poo and we have the sole rights to make an audiobook so eh why bother with the effort to pay a cast to do the whole thing amirite?

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
It's not as good at all, don't bother. In fact the Kajiu Surgeon one is apparently incredibly gross for no good reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Many modern phone apps want you to stream audiobooks due to the whole current era of "rent everything forever and own nothing!" corporate mentality. F dat.

I've been using an iOS app forever called simply "MP3 Audiobook Player". It has all of the normal bells and whistles of like faster reading options, etc. But where it excels is that you can turn on a temporary web server off of your phone/iOS device and you can upload audiobook files to it via WiFi. Then turn off the web server feature, and it just plays the files.