Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Does anyone have a preference between Booksfree and Audible? Seems like Booksfree is cheaper but I'm not sure what their turnaround/shipping times are like. Also if I rent a CD audiobook from them can I rip it myself to mp3?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

PBCrunch posted:

Now listening to Daemon by Daniel Suarez read by Jeff Gurner. I am about 20% of the way through and the story is pretty silly and the narration is very film noir. Still on the fence with this one.
That's next on my Audible list so let us know how it winds up :ohdear:

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Shepdozejr posted:

Does anyone know of any audiobooks/books-on-tape that were specifically written to be read aloud? (that don't suck)
It sounds like a rather neat idea. Similar to an epic poem or play, but in novel form.
You could always try graphic/comic audiobooks :smugdog:

These probably suck but I think the concept is absurd and funny.

Syrinxx fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Feb 17, 2010

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

If anyone is interested, Cherie Priest has announced that her book Boneshaker is now available from Audible with Zeke's parts read by none other than ultranerd Wil Wheaton.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

It's a steampunk/zombie/dirigible novel. Seriously.

I'm almost finished with it on my Kindle and I like it a lot. It's also a Nebula nominee.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Kestral posted:

The Graveyard Book is also quite good on audio
Seconded. Listening to Neil read his own books is great.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

I'm currently listening to The Lightning Thief read by Jesse Bernstein. This guy is a loving terrible narrator. His voices are all the same, he can't make a threatening voice to save his life and his inflection is bad. The book's fun and just what I expected, but this guy is really bringing it down a notch and making me wonder if I'll listen to the next 3 in the series.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

I would like to recommend the audiobook for House of Suns by Alastair Reynolds. It's read John Lee who seems to be a prolific reader although this is the first time I've listened to him. He has a variety of UK accents nailed and has really good inflection.

My only complaint is that the first person sections from the female protagonist (about a third of the book) are not read by a female actor but I think that's pretty minor and I don't think it's very common anyway. I liked it a lot in the Ender's Game and Time Traveler's Wife audiobooks.

Syrinxx fucked around with this message at 06:15 on May 21, 2010

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Hello friends, I need to spend an Audible credit on something so I ask your advice on which of these is a better listen:

Dune by Frank Herbert

or

Julian Comstock: A Story of 22nd-Century America by Robert Charles Wilson

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Thanks I picked up Dune with my last credit.

I was actually looking to cancel my Audible gold membership for a bit while I catch up on some reading backlog but if you cancel with a credit you lose it. I don't know why they wouldn't just leave the credit in your account and let you cancel but oh well.

edit: They offered me a $20 account credit not to cancel so I accepted it, bought the Julian Comstock book for a total of $9 and canceled anyway.

Syrinxx fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Sep 18, 2010

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

I'm starting off the year with another Alastair Reynolds audiobook - Revelation Space narrated by John Lee :swoon:

Also thanks Mister Macys who has convinced me to listen to Salt (mostly because I'm gay for Scott Brick)

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Audible just offered me the chance to buy 3 more credits for $36. Good deal if it applies to your account: http://www.audible.com/extracredits

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

coyo7e posted:

Also there's a new version of Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman on audible, which I was tempted to nab. Anyone heard it?
Currently listening to it. He's a great narrator and I think it's the best way to enjoy his books. As previously stated there are a couple dumb sound effects but I'd recommend the audiobook without hesitation.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

coyo7e posted:

I was referring to the new one, which isn't read by him. That's why I called it the new version.

http://www.audible.com/pd/ref=wl_1?asin=B0055274U2
You asked about Neverwhere which is not the new recording of American Gods

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Currently listening to "Good Omens" by Gaiman and Pratchett which is a hilarious and wonderful book but the narrator takes it to another level entirely. This may well be my favorite audiobook performance ever. Highly recommended!

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

If anyone cares, the latest update for the Audible app allows you to set more playback speeds: 0.5x, 1x, 1.25x, 1.5x and 2x.

This is great because 1.25 lets me shave off like 3-5 hours per book without it sounding weird.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Roydrowsy posted:

The speed is adjustable (which downloadable versions of audiobooks are doing now), and it is the same content otherwise.
These sound neat. How fine was the control over playback speed? I set Audible to 1.25x but I'd prefer 1.35 or 1.4x - 1.5x is just a hair too fast for me.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Lascivious Sloth posted:

Anyone done Enders Game?
I listened to it a while back and I particularly remember liking the female narrator. Also my brain is telling me the male narrator was Scott Brick maybe? I'm on my phone so I can't check right now but if so listen to it because Brick is awesome.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Minimaul posted:

I'm the same way. I have to actively listen to any audiobook (or anything else). I have headphones on all day at work and listen to music/radio and I've tried some audiobooks but unless I specifically sit there and make myself listen I barely understand or recognize what is going on. It's mostly just background noise for me. Even when I'm driving I zone out and realize i've driven for 20 minutes and have no idea what is going on in the story.
For me I can listen while in the car or if I'm not doing anything else but if I start to read something on a screen, or play with my phone or do pretty much anything but drive, I lose my concentration. I pretty much confine all of my listening time to the car.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

I wanted to post 2 of my recent listens that have a narrator who I really feel brings the book up to another level:

Ready Player One narrated by space nerd Wil Wheaton - he's a perfect fit for the first person protagonist who immerses themselves in 80s pop culture to find an online fortune left by a 1980s obsessed developer. A cool book but Wheaton really nails it and improves the experience.

Hounded: The Iron Druid Chronicles, Book 1 narrated by Luke Daniels - I don't know how I've never listened to this guy before but he's pretty great. His voices are varied and spot-on, and the voice he gives to the dog is worth the price of admission alone.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

blakout posted:

Eragon is so loving bad its amazing how you can ape lord of the rings and star wars in one series.
To be fair and since this is the audiobook thread, the narrator for Eragon is pretty decent other than his dragon voice which is dumb as poo poo especially for a girl dragon. The book, however, is pretty underwhelming.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Audible is having a "first of series" sale for $5 each. Highlights include Foundation, Tom Sawyer, Dresden Files, Hyperion, Kingkiller Chronicles, Leviathan, Iron Druid and other stuff. Lots of Sci Fi and Fantasy.

http://www.audible.com/guestauthor/020712SeriesSale

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

coyo7e posted:

I just bought the Iron Druid Chronicles on kindle, btu I'm tempted to get the first on audiobook just so I can (hopefully) figure out the proper Gaelic pronunciations of stuff.
I think I posted it last page but the narrator for Iron Druid is awesome. I really loved his performance.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Stephen King's The Stand is available today as an unabridged audiobook narrated by Grover Gardner.

It clocks in at a mere 47.75 hours :stare:
As a bonus it's only one credit at Audible.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Roydrowsy posted:

Does anybody else have favorite "readers?"

Scott Brick. I literally listened to a loving book about the history of salt because he read it. Actually it was a pretty cool book :3:

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Tithin Melias posted:

Oh look my new credits have arrived. Oh poo poo, they're advertising the stand. I'll get that and one other book in the WOT series.

Wait a minute, where the gently caress is the stand? I can get every other book of kings but not the stand? but why would you advertise it if I can't spend my credits on it?!?
The Stand is here: http://www.audible.com/pd/ref=sr_1_1?asin=B0077DEH7A&qid=1330706864

Maybe it's a regional restriction? Are you in the US?

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

dema posted:

Hounded: The Iron Druid Chronicles, Book 1

Also enjoyed the voice acting in Hounded.
Seriously the voice for Oberon is worth the price of admission by itself. I loved this audiobook.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Audible is having a 48 hour sale where you can buy 3 credits for $35.88, a decent discount over the ~$45 they'd normally cost.

http://www.audible.com/extracredits

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

I liked Redshirts until the prologues which really threw me off being in past tense second person or whatever. Wheaton was absolutely perfect for the narration though.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

I just marked a book I didn't care for at 2 stars and Audible immediately offered to let me return it and get a new book free. I thought this was super cool and wanted to share. Please do not loving abuse this like a bunch of slickdeals douchebags, thank you in advance.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Mister Macys posted:

Until September 18, Audible is having a $4.95 sale for members which includes, among other books, the entire Dresden Files collection.
Read (almost entirely) by James Marsters (Spike) of Buffy/Angel fame.
I'm showing books 1, 2, 3, 4 and 13 are not on sale. Anyone else having this issue? I'm seriously ready to buy all these books but I don't know why they're not all on sale.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Well I sent their support an email asking if i could get them all at $5. It can't hurt to try. It's Amazon so who knows when their amazing customer support will make an exception.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

If anyone cares the Audible rep said they could not give me the first four Dresden books for $4.95. Oh well.

I noticed this whispersync audio/ebook thing starting to pop up on a lot of titles so I think I'm going to grab a of the $5 books that have it, and their kindle counterparts so I can try it out. Anyone using it yet?

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

mystes posted:

Regarding Whispersync For Voice, do you always get the audiobook included free for a book that has it if you buy the Kindle version? Or do you normally have to buy both separately? I ask because I really like the idea but in general I don't think I would pay twice as much to have both versions (I would probably pay 15-20% extra at most).
They're not free, but you don't pay full price either. I spot checked a book on my wish list and it's $5 to add the audiobook. It's a good deal considering Audible credits cost about $15, and buying the audiobook outright is very high, like $30.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Just finished 11-22-63 by Stephen King, performed by Craig Wasson. Holy poo poo what an absolutely exceptional narration. The novel was quite good but the performance really sent it over the top.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Clinton1011 posted:

Audible is always amazing me with their customer service.
They're an Amazon company so yeah they have incredible customer service.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Bought my first book to use with "Whisper Sync for Voice" - Theft of Swords: Riyria Revelations, Book 1.

The audiobook was $4.99 after I bought the Kindle book. Hope this is a cool experience!

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Yep, being able to return books I hated is one of the best things about Amazon owning Audible. Amazon treats their customers like kings and this is another example of that. I doubt you can constantly return all your books when you're finished with them but it's pretty awesome when you get a dud.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Danith posted:

I just got lasik and today my eyes are so dry and blurry I just want to keep them closed and listen to a book but they are so expensive! I was looking at that book someone posted at the top, Theft of Swords: Riyria Revelations, Book 1 and it's like $42 unless I want to try out a audible subscription :|
Do a trial subscription, get the Riyira book free (a great book and a great narrator), then you will be hooked and realized Audible owns and is well worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

xcore posted:

If people can produce hours of free content a week via podcasts then it seems a little hard to justify $30+ for books.
Podcasts are just people who are too lazy to write. Audiobooks are pretty much the opposite.