Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
I love the reading of:

William Dufris
George Guidall
Tom Stechschulte

Dufris is pretty hilarious because he sounds like a complete smartass and does voices. The female voices are across the board hilarious. He reads a lot of SF. Guidall sounds grumpy and I love it.

I hate the reading of:

Richard Ferrone
Ilyana Kadushin
Neil Gaiman

Ferrone sounds like a villain from a 1980s cartoon. He would be great in a cast of readers but his voice alone can ruin any audiobook. Gaimain sounds like a stereotypical limp-wristed Hugh Grant fop. I like his writing but don't care for his reading at all.

Scott Brick is totally hit or miss. He reads a lot of books I like but sometimes he tries to convey too much emotion in his reading.

I listened to Tracy Morgan's book I Am the New Black read by Morgan. This was the craziest audiobook I have listened to. I don't think he read anything at all, the whole thing sounded like conversation.

I listened to Ender's Game read by a cast of voice actors and it was pretty annoying. The woman's voice was terrible.

I read Anathem by Neal Stephenson and listened to the audiobok at the same time. This was something I don't think I would try to do again. Too much looking through the book to find my place and too much FF and REW on the mp3 player.

Rant by Chuck Palahniuk was EXCELLENT with a cast approach. Paul Michael Garcia has read a couple of CP books and they were both pretty awesome with his voice. Survivor and Pygmy I think.

PBCrunch fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jan 20, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

I just finished listening to Pride and Prejudice and Zombies narrated by Katherine Kellgren. I would not normally listen to a book read by this woman, but her ye olde English accent and snobby delivery added a lot to this book.

Now listening to Daemon by Daniel Suarez read by Jeff Gurner. I am about 20% of the way through and the story is pretty silly and the narration is very film noir. Still on the fence with this one.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Syrinxx posted:

That's next on my Audible list so let us know how it winds up :ohdear:
I finished it today. The story got a lot better, the narration became more appropriate to the subject matter. I recommend this book and I am moving right on to the sequel Freedom.

There was a ton of whining on Amazon about Daemon having a crappy ending but I disagree. The ending was just about perfect, the rest of the book just isn't quite what you think it is.

Though there is one extremely amoral character that I really want to see dead in the next book, hopefully close to the beginning.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

I vehemently disagree with that statement. I've read Neuromancer and it was great. I later started the audiobook read by Gibson and it was unlistenable.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

I couldnt tell you but Snow Crash and The Diamond Age were both made into audiobooks and I liked both productions. I had read both books years prior to listening though.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Brick seems like the wrong reader for that story. Stephenson's books cry out for a nerdy smartass reader like William Dufris (who read the audiobook version of Anathem).

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Haunted by Chuck Palahniuk is a collection of short gross-out stories. The best one is the first one, so that kind of sucks. I'm sure many will disagree but Sedaris reminds me a lot of Chuck P's writing style. They both write very sparsely and call back to funny strings of words from earlier in the text.

Fragile Things by Neil Gaiman is pretty awesome too, especially the alternate-universe mashup of Sherlock Holmes and Cthulhu.

The Greatest Science Fiction Stories of the 20th Century is a pretty good collection of short SF stories by some really awesome authors.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Tanith posted:

Now Jonathan Davis' reading of Snow Crash is nerdy, smartass and one of the most inspired things I've listened to.
The Jonathan Davis from Korn or another one?

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

I started Scott Brick's reading of In Defense of Food by Michael Pollan. His over enunciation of pretty much every word is going to make this book hard to get through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Happy Hedonist posted:

Scott Brick annoys the hell out of me most of the time which sucks considering the amount of stuff he has read for audible. After listening to the original 6 Dune novels I had to bore his voice out of my brain with an auger. A year later and I will finally purchase books read by him again but he is definitely not my first choice.

I will listen to anything read by Charlton Griffin and I really enjoyed Roy Dotrice (ASoIaF) and Nigel Planer (Discworld). Listening to the ASoIaF series is quite interesting actually, you can hear Dotrice improve with each novel.

Yes a little Scott Brick can go a long way. I did really enjoy his narration of Spin by Robert Charles Wilson. That story had an emotional end-of-the-world element that was well-served by his style of reading. A non-fiction book like In Defense of Food should not be read the same way.

Before I started IDoF I listened to Fast Food Nation by Eric Schlosser, ready by Rich Adamson. Adamson read the book with a tone of incredulity that was absolutely perfect given some of the mind-blowing information in the book.

The one I went through before that was Bozo Sapiens by Michael and Ellen Kaplan, ready by Victor Bevine. The narration was pretty unnoticeable, but the book was terrific. It made lots of good points, most of which I have already forgotten because I am an extremely fallible human being. The audiobook was good but I need to read it for real for it to really sink in.

I listened to the first Harry Dresden book read by James Marsters. That guy swallows and breathes noisily and sounds tired, so he is a perfect narrator for a detective novel (with magic).

Art of Deception by Kevin Mitnick was boring and the Nick Sullivan's narration stretched the definition of dry. The guy sounds like the narrator of a high school human growth and development class video. I recommend against that one.

PBCrunch fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Apr 6, 2010