Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

jeeves posted:

The Altered Carbon books seem to have some sort of obligatory chapter in each that is an extremely graphic sex scene like out of some romance novel. It’s very jarring especially since the rest of the books are so well done scifi.

The early Deathlands books had this going on too. Full voice cast, sound effects, music male sex scenes even more cringey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Lost Children is an audible original that I listened to last year. It's five or so short stories that are a bit spoopy

Was good listening as I walked alone along early morning forest preserve trails

Soonmot fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Oct 3, 2022

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Has anyone listened to a good version of the Edgar Rice Burroughs Mars books? I listened to samples from two different collections and a stand along of Princess of Mars on amazon and did not like any of the narrators I heard.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Kestral posted:

This is the way. I've had audiobooks vanish from my Audible library, never to return, which are now impossible to find outside of :filez:. Now I archive everything and ensure it's playable offline.

What are you using to archive? I just noticed that a couple titles were gone from my audible library and the torrent sites I know of don't have the books I listen to.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

my kinda ape posted:

Also really enjoying Dungeon Crawler Carl.

I was gonna start a relisten to Incryptid since there was a new one out, but the first DCC was on sale for 6 bucks so I grabbed it instead. Guess I have a new series to listen too!

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Haystack posted:

Thread favorite Dungeon Crawler Carl

I'm now on book 5, I can't believe how fast I went from "oh this is cute and silly fun," to "Wait is this actually good?"

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

I thought the Sapkowski Witcher series did this especially well. I think the narrator's name is Peter Kenny.

The October Daye books have a narrator, Mary Robinette, that does a huge amount of distinct voices , if you like urban fantasy.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I'm a comic book fan, I understand that type of thing lol.

With DCC, I actually think the books are Good. Not just familiar or comfortable. The way you learn about Carl's relationship with his ex, his father and mother, the trauma he's already been through, really works. Learning how to hold onto your humanity in a horrible situation, or with Donut, maturing into a caring person instead of a self centered child. Themes of found family or capitalism eating itself along side everything else, the bits of body horror sprinkled throughout. It's good.

Do we have a thread for DCC, I hate to keep derailing this one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
lol i felt the same way, especially with how Hayes voices Carl, double so because a few years ago I decided not to read any books about straight white guys by straight white guys, but also i'm not gonna NOT finish an audiobook, and there was enough cute stuff to keep me interested, especially once Donut transforms. Then, like Haystack posted above, by the time they got to the Horder scene, I was 100% on board this stupid ride.

So this was originally a web serial? That explains the recapping that seems to happen a lot.