Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

I just finished Words of Radiance read by Michael Kramer/Kate Redding after doing the entire Wheel of Time done by them. I have tried other authors but after 6 months of listening to only those two straight everyone else sounds weird, does anyone have any recommendations of other good series they have read?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Simiain posted:

Got Audible so I could trudge my way through A Song of Ice and Fire on my commute, after 150 odd hours of Roy Dotrice its come as a bit of a shock to me that other narrators exist.

My initial post-ASOIAF plan was to be all productive and listen to non-fiction, philosophy and science texts. However, I've had horrible luck with the narrators so far, listening to Audible's own 'Therefore I am' series and Nick Bostrom's recent book on super-intelligence, the narration for both managing the pretty amazing feat of sounding at once robotically bland AND smugly superior - Not sure if anyone has any suggestions for books in this field with a more engaging narration?

Took someone else's advice and grabbed 1Q84 which has a wonderful narration, and seems like it'll be a compelling read.

Michael Kramer is my favorite audiobook guy, find anything done by him as he is fantastic.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Armauk posted:

Kramer and Reading are the best narrators doing fantasy. They also did the entire Wheel of Time series.

They really are leagues above everyone else, the only thing that annoys me is sometimes they will pronounce the same word quite differently, which is odd that they wouldn't get synced up on things esp with them like married and reading out of their house.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

The man called M posted:

Is there any audiobooks that make you feel uneasy? For example, the way the guy who does the Wheel of Time series makes me think of an older man wearing a robe saying, “Hey, baby cakes. Wanna hear about the Wheel of Time?”

I mean he was 26 he started recording that series so that just might be on you.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

escape artist posted:

Richard Poe is the king of audiobook narration. Frank Mueller is a high ranking member of the King's Court.

Who else is there?

Michael Kramer for sure.