Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Oh what a wonderful thread, so many good recommendations.

Slaughterhouse Five read by Ethan Hawke was mentioned earlier, it really is wonderful. But one I like even better is Stephen Fry's autobiography Moab Is My Washpot, obviously read by the author. It trancends the audiobook format in some ways, he reads his own experiences in his own words with his own emotions which makes it seem more like he's just telling you his story rather than reading a book.

He's also great at doing the voices of various characters. He has a knack for doing accents but when you know he's imitating a real person from his past it becomes something else indeed. That along with his humour, honesty, wit and all around excellentness makes this a no-misser. It's not on Audible.com but on Audible.co.uk, weirdly enough. (and iTunes, not so weirdly)

Speaking of Audible, I've been trying out the Audible beta app for Android. http://groups.google.com/group/audible-for-android-beta?pli=1

It's a buggy piece of poo poo at the moment, but there you go. It did at least manage to download my latest purchase (Sum: Tales from the afterlife) over WiFi, which is excellent. The app can't access the store, but Opera Mini can which means I can buy and listen on the road. Excellent! Hopefully the development is finished soon.

Ola fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jul 26, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I found I don't consume enough audiobooks to justify an Audible subscription (and I don't like their subscription scheme) so I'm clearing out 6 credits before cancelling. I got some comedy from Armando Ianucci, all 4 Churchill books mentioned by Mister Macys and was about to get the one about the credit crunch but it's not there. What gives?

Audible's search engine seems to be crap but the book is definitely gone from the .com site (is there on .co.uk). Is it normal for titles to suddenly disappear for a while, maybe pending updated versions? Maybe I'll get one of the other ones on the topic.