Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
The recordings of the His Dark Materials books by Philip Pullman and a full cast are uniformly excellent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
It would probably be a better playback experience if you just pick up a cheap iPod shuffle: http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/ipod?mco=MTM3NDY2NTg

$40-$60 refurbished, and they would support resuming/bookmarking, be able to sync back to iTunes for resuming on computers/iPhones/whatever else.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Megera posted:

I finished The Golden Compass last week. It had a full cast and everything, and I can't recommend it enough. No one droned on and on, I rarely had to go back and listen again due to spacing out, and I was pleasantly surprised that it was, in fact, MUCH better than the movie. I've heard the next two suck, so I won't bother. :)

They don't, in fact. Get them.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
In iTunes, you can set anything to "Remember Position." Audiobooks and podcasts do it automatically.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Prokhor posted:

From all those could someone recommend a book they think I might like?

If you liked Snow Crash, The Diamond Age is a great followup, and the audio version is well produced.

Also echoing the More Information Than You Require praise a couple posts up.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I'd also highly recommend his series on the Punic Wars from a few years ago.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

DrVenkman posted:

So it seems that they're doing a new audio version of World War Z. I know Nathan Fillion has recorded a part for it, and it sounds like they're going to be revealing the names as the weeks go on. Hopefully it'll be unabridged this time.

Perhaps they're just filling in the chapters they skipped last time. I can't imagine anyone doing better than Mark Hamill or Alan Alda, though some of the other chapters could certainly be redone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
What other audiobooks have full casts? The only one I can think of is His Dark Materials, which was also a pleasure to listen to.