Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

swordfishtrombone
Dec 24, 2004

the violinist kept playing

King Plum the Nth posted:

What makes or breaks an audiobook for me is less the book but the performance. Fueled by my recent infatuation by the Dexter books, I tried to listen to them as audibooks but found I couldn't because they aren't read by Michael C. Hall. I am opposed to abridgments but my own new recommendation is, actually and abridgment.

Just bumping this thread because I've been really getting into audiobooks recently and I agree with this 100%. Whether or not I listen to an audiobook often depends on who the reader is and whether there is anything noteworthy about their reading. I would kill :haw: to hear Michael C. Hall read Dexter, because it would be a great 'bridge' between the books and the series.

On that note, I'm currently really enjoying Brideshead Revisited as read by Jeremy Irons. I don't know how many here are at all interested in Evelyn Waugh's books, but Irons' performance was one of the (many) things I loved about the original 1981 miniseries...and it's also quite funny to hear him doing Anthony Blanche's lines.

Roybot posted:

I haven't listened to any audiobooks in years, but Lolita read by Jeremy Irons is pretty awesome.

Well... :aaa: Now I know what I'll be listening to next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU