Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

We watched our friends grow up together
And we saw them as they fell
Some of them fell into Heaven
Some of them fell into Hell

Hedrigall posted:

Well it must be one of these:
I actually have an affinity for the Mind's Eye version (the 1979 one). I grew up with it. While I wasn't borne until a year after it broadcast, my dad recorded each of the episodes on cassette. As soon as I was old enough to understand what was going on, I listened them over and over until the tapes wore out. For the longest time I kept getting confused as to why the BBC version wasn't the version I remembered. Now I know why.

As far as other audio books, favorites of mine include Alfred Lansing's Endurance: Shackleton's Incredible Voyage, Stephen King's The Talisman, Krakauer's Into Thin Air*. And I'll also chime in in highly recommending Lolita. Jeremy Irons' rendition is absolutely indescribable in how good it is.

e: World War Z is indeed a great audiobook, as many have said. But if you haven't read the book, make you you do that as well, as the only recording that was made is abridged and it leaves out some really great stories. So as far as that one is concerned, I say it's well worth your time and money to own both.

And I know a lot of people hated Stephen King's Cell, but I loved it. And I think the audiobook version is really good as well. And believe it or not, Anne Heche does a fantastic job with The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon, even if I feel like she's ever-so-slightly off when singing the Giant Glass jingle.

*It seems like the only audio version of this is the one read by Krakauer himself. And it's good. And hearing the author read his own experience is pretty goddamn powerful. However, there was a previous version that's now out of print I believe, where the guy reading it not only reads the footnotes (something the Krakauer version, although still unabridged, curiously omits), but he also does all the accents. So if you can find it anywhere-- a)let me know because I want it, and b)it's well worth your money.

UncleMonkey fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jun 21, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

We watched our friends grow up together
And we saw them as they fell
Some of them fell into Heaven
Some of them fell into Hell

Cruo posted:

Oh man, I'm about finished with book 3 and he does such an amazing job, I just figured he did the whole series. Is there a place to listen to samples from Guidall reading Dark Tower? I don't know if I can handle hearing someone else as Roland.
He reads The Talisman, too, and does an amazing job. Unfortunately for us, he was in a very bad accident in 2001, resulting in severe brain damage. Then he died in 2008. No more Frank Muller for us. :(

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Muller