Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
So what's the deal with Audible? It seems like I have to do equations before I can figure out if spending a credit is worth it. Some books become $7.50 if you buy the Kindle version, making the listed price of $19 or $27 irrelevant. So a credit, on the platinum club, costs $22.95 / 2, blah blah blah... this one would be $9 to buy WITH the kindle version so it doesn't make sense to spend a $10.50 credit on it.

If I cancel my membership, will I still have access to the books I've purchased already? Or do I need to get a new credit each month to keep access to all my old books?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
What are some classics that REALLY come to life in audio form?

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Moby-Dick with Frank Muller's narration is god-tier

That's the one that made me want to read more classics. Loved it.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
I landed on East of Eden by Richard Poe, got 3 hours in and I love it

he also did the amazing audio version of Blood Meridian

escape artist fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Oct 5, 2023

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Richard Poe is the king of audiobook narration. Frank Mueller is a high ranking member of the King's Court.

Who else is there?

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Agreed on Guidall and Kramer too

Kestral posted:

This is somehow the first I've heard of Richard Poe, and it led me to listen to the first few minutes of 48 Laws of Power. Great narrator, but holy poo poo that book is like The Sociopath's Handbook.

It's the most read book in jail, and it is banned in some jails. I got through a quarter of it. It was pretty interesting with the historical tidbits but I think the advice is basically what you said, how to be a sociopath.

Check out Poe's version of Blood Meridian. I think it's the best audiobook ever recorded. He does such an incredible job with it, sometimes I just flip on random chapters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

SurgicalOntologist posted:

Just finished The Wager by David Grann, absolutely incredible audiobook. The narrator (Dion Graham) reads every sentence like it's the most loving interesting thing he's every heard and I tell you, it works. Probably helps that the writing is good. I spent the day cleaning the apartment just so I could finish it.
I'm about to start Killers of the Flower Moon, my first Grann, on audiobook. My Libby hold finally delivered!