Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I'm currently listening to 'The Strain' by Guillermo Del Toro and Chuck Hogan, read by Ron "loving" Perlman. His voice is well suited to it.

Also listening to 'Hearts In Atlantis' at the moment. I can't tell if it's a good book or not because William Hurt is doing such a good job at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

'World War Z' is great to listen to once you've already read the book. I don't really understand the point in abridging it, I can only guess it's because the book has such a large cast that it's to keep costs down. As a result the audiobook sort of lacks a flow, and feels like someone reading an early draft of the proper book before it's been fleshed out.

That's not to take away from the performances though, as most of them were fantastic. Henry Rollins is great, as is Alan Alda. But sadly yeah, the asian voices tend to sound like caricatures.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I've always thought that Wednesday should be played by Anthony Hopkins, particularly after listening to the original audiobook of American Gods.

Has anyone listened to the second book of 'The Strain' trilogy by Guillermo Del Toro? The first was read by Ron Perlman but Audible have a different narrator this time around, presumably Perlman was busy.

Also, for another great reading, Stephen Lang doing 'Heart Shaped Box' is fantastic.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

So it seems that they're doing a new audio version of World War Z. I know Nathan Fillion has recorded a part for it, and it sounds like they're going to be revealing the names as the weeks go on. Hopefully it'll be unabridged this time.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

cbirdsong posted:

Perhaps they're just filling in the chapters they skipped last time. I can't imagine anyone doing better than Mark Hamill or Alan Alda, though some of the other chapters could certainly be redone.

They've confirmed that they're keeping the original parts in and adding new recordings, so sadly some of those bad performances will be staying.

Though I am curious that they say they have a new narrator when Max Brooks played it in the original, so if that's being recorded then I can't see why some of those other lacklustre performances can't be.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

ElGroucho posted:

Just finished Killing Floor by Lee Child. What a long, boring, unlikely mess. Apparently they don't get any better?

Get the Travis McGee novels instead. They were the influence for Jack Reacher but they're less ridiculous and a lot more world weary and cynical.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

internet inc posted:

Try very small (0.05x) increments? It used to annoy me too but now I do 1.40-1.60x speed and going back to 1x makes me wonder how I ever put up with it.

Also it doesn't decrease playtime but if you look closely the seconds skip depending on your speed.

I do the same. 2x is just a bit too quick to me because it visibly sounded like a sped-up voice, but 1.40x is just about right.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I get a lot of books on kindle/audio but now I tend to go with whatever I can get cheaper.

Other than that, there are certain paperbacks I will collect. For instance I have most of the Hard Case Crime collection, because all of those covers are fantastic and it would lose something if I got them on kindle.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

XBenedict posted:

Pick something by John Le Carré and enjoy.

I would add Len Deighton to that. His Game, Set, Match trilogy is great and they've always felt like much more realistic spy books to me. It's interesting to deal with a spy who's basically held back by the class system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Molybdenum posted:

i picked up the sherlock holmes canon for a single audible credit read by stephen fry. As long as his voice isn't obnoxious to you it is a heck of a deal.

It's a great package, and I believe Fry wrote introductions as well, which provides a bit of background to the stories.

Doyle however, was very fond of using the word "ejaculated" to describe someone's speech.