Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
45 minute commute each way, plus an hour at the gym 3 times a week let's me absolutely destroy the list of books I've been queuing up to read for the past few years. In the past 3 months I've tackled:

Anathem (holy poo poo this was a lot of work, but worth it!)
Ender Series 1-6 (working on 7 now)
Blink by Malcolm Gladwell

On deck:
Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell
Rest of the Ender Series
The Ascent of Money by Niall Ferguson
Dark Tower 5-7 (read the first 4.5 in text, just can't get back into them)
Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson
Velocity by Dean Koontz

On top of that I also find time to read a paper book when I can. There's just some books that are better to read than listen to. Recently I finished Emergency by Neil Strauss. Audiobooks are just an incredible way to spend your downtime that would be otherwise wasted on top 40 or inanely ignorant podcasts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Mood posted:

To those who listen to them regularly: what's your favorite source(s) for audiobooks?

doh

TraderStav fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Apr 30, 2009

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Once you get the hang of audio books (it was tough for me at first) many audio players will have the option to speed up the playback just slightly so the words are only a tad quicker, but will help you rip through the books even quicker by taking out fractions of seconds.

On a 13 hour book it'll likely take off an hour or so I'd imagine.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Throwing out some love for The Road by Cormac McCarthy on audiobook. I picked up the paperback a few months back and just could not get into it. I gave the audiobook a go and the voice acting is great, perfect for the book. I did not find the book to be as 'epic' as it was made out to be but definitely a very enjoyable read thanks to the reading.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Philosopher King posted:

I'm going on a trip tomorrow. Unfortunately my local bookstores did not have Snow Crash, Alas Babylon, Make Love the Bruce Campbell Way, or Jennifer Government. So I am down to either World War Z or I am America and so can you, or anything else anyone might like to recommend.

If you have not read World War Z, definitely grab that. It's a must read. You may want to pick up another book as you will burn through the 300 some odd pages FAST. It's not that it's short, but it's just THAT good.