Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

red white and blue forever

duggimon posted:

That has to be a joke. I found the source for the image and all but I still refuse to believe that footballers actually wore that to anything other than line dancing.

Nope, it's legit, and one of them recently went for over a thou on eBay. Toffs should really re-make these.

(Those of you who haven't seen it, I recommend you seek out the documentary Once in a Lifetime, which is primarily about the NY Cosmos, but really will answer at least most of your questions re: "was the NASL really that insane." Spoiler: Oh my yes )

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

MattWPBS posted:

Importing a question that someone asked in the Champions League semis thread while it was descending into statsmageddon - have any players ever shown off their swapped shirts?

I have seen, in his ESPN columns, Jimmy Conrad refer to having gotten Beckham's jersey after the ill-advised MLS pickup squad vs Real Madrid match a few years back.

I should post the collection I have of Jerseys That Are All Way too Big for Me.

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

Mickolution posted:

Steven Gerrard has some in his trophy room

That is a really cool photo and it's so neat that England actually still gives out the real caps.

As promised, here are six jerseys I have that are way too big for me.

Top row:
Game worn Adin Brown 2004 Revs GK, gift from player
Matt Reis 2007 Revs GK, gift from buddy who hit up kitroom manager

Second row:
Game worn Shalrie Joseph 2007 Revs home, gift from player
As far as I know game worn Shalrie Joseph 2008 Revs home, gift from player

Third row:
As far as I know game worn Jimmy Conrad 2007 Wizards away, trade from player
Autographed by whole team 2006 Aalesund home kit, gift from player

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

Transatlantic Gulp posted:

Sexual favours?

Nope. The one that was a trade was in exchange for a Ted Leo t-shirt. It's a long story.

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

surrender posted:

but they're probably the best-fitting

...provided you like kits you can also use as rash guards

Blackburn's new one is set to debut on Thursday; they've been posting teaser images all week.

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

ibroxmassive posted:

Do the Blackburn kits ever actually change? :confused:

Sorry, should've clarified--it's the new away kit that's debuting, and the away ones do change pretty frequently. The home one's just a variation on the blue and white every year, different details depending on sponsor and manufacturer, but the away colors vary. I'm partial to red and black away, myself, and a longtime #1 must have on my collector list is a GK kit from 2002 (I think) when it's red and has Friedel on the back.

I like that alleged Arsenal one, although my first thought when I see it is "jetBlue." I also think that white Celtic one is sharp as hell; I love the weird little details and Easter eggs Nike puts in their kits these days.

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

ibroxmassive posted:

Is it still UMBRO doing yours?

A-yup.

The thing about the Kappa kits I have is that they're also so thin I don't really like wearing them without a t-shirt or something underneath, though the Feyenoord one I only ever take to the gym, so no big deal there. The yellow Blackburn GK one, though, it's not even that snug-fitting (men's M), but it's drat near see-through.

(I actually do own jerseys that fit me properly; unsurprisingly, they're all US women's national team ones, of which my favorite is the 03 red away. Haven't had the spare scratch for a Breakers one yet).

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

CubanMissile posted:

Looks downright reasonable compared to Mexico.

What you're not seeing is the sponsors on the socks.

I have a jersey that color and I love it. But it's also a GK jersey.

Rovers away next year: White shirt, red shorts. I like it.

I also gotta say I'm enjoying everyone wondering if whichever ridiculous Adidas template is real, since, thanks to their deal with MLS, we're the ones who get those templates first. That Chelsea one is what RBNY are wearing this season.

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

KabukiJoe posted:

How does the lettering look on them? I'd like to get a Frankie Hejduk USMNT jersey and I don't want the letters to look goofy/wrong.

The US ones, what you watch for on the fakes is the stars on the badge--all the fakes I've seen had the stars as solid blue (not blue/white) and it's a dead giveaway.

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

ibroxmassive posted:

According to FSC, Celtic are getting the bumblebee away shirt again.

YUM YUM BUMBLEBEE BUMBLEBEE TUNA
I LOVE BUMBLEBEE BUMBLEBEE TUNA
YUM YUM BUMBLEBEE BUMBLEBEE TUNA
LOVE A KIT THAT'S MADE FROM BUMBLEBEE

Directorman posted:

Better yet, I'd love MLS to drop their Adidas exclusive contract; Nike kits are so much more class.

While I'm pretty partial to Nike myself, I won't complain too much if Adidas remains the MLS exclusive supplier for years to come--they've dropped a ton of money into the league for sponsorship and development, teams that used to have little to no merch available for fans (like New England) now have lots to choose from, and yes, we get a preview of what everyone else is wearing in Europe the following season. For as goofy as the RBNY zipper/pec template is, the deal's come down to what a lot of people predicted when it was signed in 2005: having a supplier that's been a leader in international soccer since its inception has paid out only dividends for MLS.

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

luvd posted:

boltons

Yeah, unless there's something on the lower half or back of that Rotherham one, like "SPONSORED BY AL-QAIDA PUPPY KICKING CLUB," it's not too bad, just very plain. Bolton's, on the other hand, is worse than child abuse.

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

NattyBo posted:

Barcelona's keeper shirt next season is awesome:

Oooh, I like that a lot.

edit: Hey, anyone want me to start a Scarves and Other Dumb Team Merch thread? The thought crossed my mind yesterday when I realized my household for some reason has 32 scarves lying around.

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

Pour le Merite posted:

It's more of a salmon tone, isn't it.

If we're getting into J. Crew catalog territory, I'd classify that sucker as "coral."

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

IndustrialPope posted:

Oh, good, it wasn't just me who thought that.

If anyone misses the spirit of Jorge Campos, check out the highlights from last night's Pachuca-Indios game, in which Pachuca's GK (Miguel Calero, whom I like a lot) took the field dressed as loving Bumblebee Guy from the Simpsons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJ4CaL074A0

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

Pour le Merite posted:

That's their mascot and nickname. They are called "die Geißböcke" which means as much as "billy goats".

I want to see them play Chivas (Guadalajara or LA, doesn't matter) and call it the Square Pupil Derby

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

ibroxmassive posted:

Player play in the US, Rangers buy them, play them, and then sell them on to small EPL clubs for some form of profit.

See Reyna, Claudio. Hopefully not Edu or Beasley, 'cos those two are awesome.

Unless they're keepers. Then they go to a mid-table Premiership team and become fan favourites.

This is honestly not a bad description.

But no, that Boston United is the Boston in Regular England, not the one in New England. There are a lot of towns here that share the same name as the towns over there, and I know more than one person who favors Portsmouth because they are from Portsmouth, New Hampshire. When I first started watching the EPL I always chuckled at the Sky Sports ticker showing scores from teams that, to me, look like they're all from the suburbs around here, like Braintree and Weymouth and Plymouth. (I'd see Southend vs Northampton and picture Gay Men and their Little Dogs vs Lesbian Hippies).

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

Dell_Zincht posted:

Rumoured new Middlesbrough shirt. Although it looks like a photoshop, it was on the website in question and then pulled overnight, so there may be some element of truth to it.

That looks like one of Adidas's 06-07 templates, though. The common link the new Adidas jerseys I've seen--look up Houston, Seattle, and RBNY--is big blank spaces on the sleeves for league patches/flags/your ad here.

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

Alan BStard posted:

And yes Sampdoria's kit is awesome - I do wonder why Sampdoria seem to be the favourite team of everyone who ever watched Football Italia in the UK, myself included.

Because their crest is loving Popeye. Who needs another reason?

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

Shrapnac posted:

I think it may actually be a magic eye and it's subliminally telling me to like it.

Hey look, a sailboat.

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

Bacon of the Sea posted:

fc-augsburg. Not sure what they're trying to prove with these

AAAAL-VIN!

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

GravityDaemon posted:

That Juve kit is the wrong color - the real one is straight black and white and not blue-ish like that one. It's nicer I think.

e: Oh, that one's just whitewashed. Well here's the real one.

I love that.

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

Bacon of the Sea posted:

Making a decent effort to steal the limelight from Getafe, we have Udinese's new home:

Had it been on a previous page, it would probably have got some love.

That looks like the strips you put on bathtubs to keep from slipping in the shower.

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

Bacon of the Sea posted:

NO WAY.

HAVE IT YOUR WAY

(The instructions are pretty much exactly what the illustrations say they are. Roughly: 1. Take your official Getafe shirt out of the BK bag. 2. Feel like a star when you put it on. 3. Line up and shoot a goal. 4. Prepare your celebration. 5. Show everyone you're wearing the King inside.)

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

thunderstruck posted:

2. Put it on when you feel like a star. :eng101:

Sorry I couldn't help my self.

No worries--I almost wrote it that way but wasn't sure. I'm not exactly fluent. Either way, the instructions don't involve confirmation that you get a jersey with a Whopper or anything, which is what we're all wondering.

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

Theageofdust posted:

You'll notice that Everton weren't wearing that fancy pink kit at the MLS all star game.

They couldn't wear it because the kit's mostly black, and that would've conflicted with the blue/black the MLS side wore. I wouldn't go getting your hopes up just yet.

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

CubanMissile posted:

So the moral of the story is, don't be fat. poo poo, if I could just lost another twenty pounds I would be the sexiest white looking half-Mexican to wear a USMNT jersey since Carlos Bocanegra. If.

Eh, be realistic and just work your way up to Bornstein.

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

Shrapnac posted:

Wouldn't you have to work your way down to Bornstein and then work your way back up to Bocanegra?

No, but first a rabbi has to turn you away three times.

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

Dudley posted:

Poor guy looks so depressed.

I was just thinking that. "Aw crap dude this is gonna be the worst season ever..."

(It's a nice kit and should be the away, not the third, of course).

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

c0burn posted:

We need some Crown Paints

Hey.

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

Get your matching shoe, scarf, and jersey set here.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

Shrapnac posted:

Did KG really put his name and number on a Chelsea shirt? Please say no.

Oh yes indeedy.

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

EnsGDT posted:

Great all I need is for Boston Celtics fans to become Chelsea fans.

Last time Celtic came here for a friendly against the Revs, I wanted to show up in a Paul Pierce jersey and be all "what is this poo poo?"

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

Der Shovel posted:

At 275 bucks a pop I don't think they'll move many.

People who're buying that package are after the shoes; the shirt and scarf are just bonuses.

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

Eau de MacGowan posted:

If I saw someone wearing football club branded trainers on the street I would literally get so mad I would scowl really hard and call them a oval office in my head.

People who're buying that package aren't exactly buying them to wear, either.

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

Shrapnac posted:

You could try running an iron over it while inside out/with a barrier of some sort and see if you can get the glue to re-adhere. Don't put them in the dryer anymore either.

And when you wash them, on gentle cycle, turn them inside out.

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

esperantinc posted:

I've always heard that the embroidered crests are just for replicas, and the on-the-pitch kits have heat pressed ones. Could be waaaaaaaaay off though.

It varies. I have game worn ones with embroidered crests and ones with heat-pressed felt crests, just as I have some game worns that are identical to what's sold in the shop and some that are of different fabric.

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

CubanMissile posted:

Shame I'm not a Arsenal supporter, because I really like their 3rd kit.

And along with my hate for most pointyball jerseys, I can't even get hats or shirts for my team becuase the Dolphins have some seriously ugly colors. Maybe they got a grey tshirt.

fuckers never should've ditched the recursive dolphin

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

Directorman posted:

Can anyone make out what's in the middle/stomach of the blue one?

a target for headbutting

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

Directorman posted:

I LOVE this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

wayth posted:

What is going on with the gray X on the back?

Not sure about them on real jerseys, but they do that for their training gear already