Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

st0rmjunkie_xl
Aug 4, 2004

And hello everyone, by the way. I used to post here semi-regularly about 4 years ago and have since rediscovered that I miss being a goon. So I might hang around here more often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

st0rmjunkie_xl
Aug 4, 2004

Ha. Interestingly, I quite like both Ajax and Feyenoord, and even have an old Ajax training jersey (although I might have sent it to a charity shop, I don't remember). I tend to follow at least one team from most countries, and for one reason or another I like Ajax and Feyenoord, despise PSV and know almost nothing about the rest of the league.

I won't claim to be 'passionate' about Dutch football.

st0rmjunkie_xl
Aug 4, 2004

Yeah, like I said, it's very much an armchair following of both sides. It stems from liking or disliking individual players at their clubs. I admit I've swung quite heavily in favour of Feyenoord recently though - even though they're doing seemingly terribly.

st0rmjunkie_xl
Aug 4, 2004

I understand quite clearly that they're rivals, thank you. However, as I claimed initially, I have no genuine partisanship when it comes to Dutch football so it doesn't matter to me either way about their rivalry.

I don't claim to be a 'fan' of either; I simply follow their results and wish them well. When it comes to any club other than my own, it really doesn't bother me either way about their rivalries because frankly it's none of my business.

st0rmjunkie_xl
Aug 4, 2004

Blues are my team - the Baggies I also like a lot. It's certainly one of the more friendly rivalries that Birmingham has (you'll find more police at a game against the likes of Leeds, for example) - but I also know some bluenoses who can't stand the Baggies at all. Personally, I like Mowbray and his approach to football and find their fans honest and genuine.

Wolves, I don't like. I don't hate them, but I certainly don't like them.

Villa on the other, are cretinous chumps. I went through a stage a few years ago (after having not lived in the city for a few years) where I started to dislike them less, because O'Neill was doing a decent job in a footballing sense and I hadn't had to come into contact with their 6-fingered fans for a while. However, I quickly got over that and their disgraceful behaviour in forfeiting the UEFA Cup made me lose a lot of respect for everything about their club. So any bad day can be made instantly better with a Villa loss.

st0rmjunkie_xl
Aug 4, 2004

I've owned a handful of Kappa kits in the past few years - Auxerre, Feyenoord, Bremen, Genk... they've been consistently better fitting and more comfortable than any other brand.

Depends how you like your shirt though I suppose. They're always tight-fitting which I find comfortable, whereas I have a few others (Adidas for example, whose designs I tend to like) which are often baggy. There's a danger of accidentally doing a Ronaldo when it comes to having too tight a shirt though.

Speaking of whom:

st0rmjunkie_xl
Aug 4, 2004

Yuck. Horrible, I'm afraid.

That said, I can't remember a single Liverpool/Chelsea/Man Utd kit in my lifetime that I've not despised. I think it's more to do with the connotations than anything else though.

st0rmjunkie_xl
Aug 4, 2004

Is there an option to buy it without the hand grafted onto the hip?

st0rmjunkie_xl
Aug 4, 2004

:barf:

st0rmjunkie_xl
Aug 4, 2004

w00bi posted:

Any reason why they based the design on a bikini? This looks extremely metrosexual.

st0rmjunkie_xl
Aug 4, 2004

Some facts:

In the eyes of most chairmen, football is a business. Which is fair enough to some extent, if they does lose touch with reality and expect fans to start throwing hard-earned cash to watch rubbish week in week out for no incentives (see: David Sullivan's expectations of Birmingham City fans for the last decade).

In the eyes of a handful of billionaires, football is a toy. They can buy and sell who they please without any real interest in making profit - it's all about boys with toys, trying to buy a Champions League winning team. Chelsea have widely been reported to make terrifying losses in a business sense, which doesn't matter too much because they've had so many cash injections from Abramovich's own wallet. The worrying part for Chelsea is when that dries up, as the club is anything but self-sufficient. Selling shirts, however, is a way of broadening their brand. That's the main intention - to be the most successful and best branded club on the planet. And clearly that's working, as everyone here is talking about buying their new shirt as and when it gets released - the extortionate price tag is supposed to convince you that somehow you're probably getting your money's worth.

To fans, if you perceive the game as a business, then you've got the complete wrong end of the stick. The game is suffering enough because of the money-men, and when the fans start accepting it and even encouraging it, it's a bad sign. When fans consider their club to be a business rather than a team, then the game is dead.

st0rmjunkie_xl
Aug 4, 2004

Heads up for anyone who uses Subside Sports to order kits and such, which is here: http://www.subsidesports.com/uk/store/index.jsp

I don't know if they deliver to the USA but it's a cracking site all in all for people from the UK. They've got a 20% off sale on at the moment on everything except any brand new 09-10 stock - just enter 'SEASONSALE' as the discount code. It says it on the front page too.

st0rmjunkie_xl
Aug 4, 2004

Birmingham City's new away kit for next season. I must admit, I'm not a big fan - looks kind of like a bin-liner. Also we had a similar kit (with slightly brighter yellow) three years ago and that wasn't so nice either.

The worst part, however, is the terrible Photoshop job which they insisted putting on their official website (perhaps as an attempt to prove that they would use the kit to play football in or something :rolleyes: )

st0rmjunkie_xl
Aug 4, 2004

Thought I'd share this site if people aren't aware of it:

http://www.cultzeros.co.uk/products.asp?cat=140

I've purposely linked to the Birmingham City page on it, but there is one for pretty much every club and it's amazing. Not football kits by any means but football related shirts.

I want to either get one with Olivier Tebily with the word 'bombscare' written underneath, or one with Heskey and 'Mission accomplished, return to base' on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

st0rmjunkie_xl
Aug 4, 2004

Presumably because the more different it looks to the previous season's kit, the more people splash their cash and buy the new one.