Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Everything King has said about this film contradicts what test screening leakers have said. It's apparently a choppy mess that's full of jump scares and little of substance.

I expect it to be a victim of WBs tax write-offs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Oh no :( if he says it's good, it isn't.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Bad or good, as a big 'Salem's Lot fan I just want to see it myself.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

nate fisher posted:

Bad or good, as a big 'Salem's Lot fan I just want to see it myself.

Yeah this trend of "we'll lose money if we release the movie so we're just going to take it as a tax writeoff" is such bullshit. Who cares if it sucks, there's redeeeming factors to every movie whether it be the performance or the style of the end credits heh.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I watched the original not too terribly long ago and think it holds up really well.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I feel like when it comes to movie adaptations Stephen King is always incredibly wrong with his opinion

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

oldpainless posted:

I feel like when it comes to movie adaptations Stephen King is always incredibly wrong with his opinion

He's always been a big fan of all of Frank Darabont's adaptations, so like he's not 100% wrong about all of them.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Mat Cauthon posted:

Glad to see more people recognizing the greatness of Tommyknockers though.

I reread it last month (been decades) and I think it is a pretty decent book but good lord it could use an editor chopping a good 20-30% out. Some parts just dragged on or seemed entirely unnecessary.

MNIMWA
Dec 1, 2014

BiggerBoat posted:

I watched the original not too terribly long ago and think it holds up really well.

1979? Or the 2004 series?

I just finished the Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon. I liked it! The main character was surprisingly super endearing and I actually tend to think that the fantastic elements, the God of the Lost and the Subaudible etc., aren't just in Tricia's head but they're real or somewhat real - there's some good discussion around this on the Just King Things podcast and what King is doing here, though they're more of the view that it's mainly metaphor for conversion. I read it as partly that but also in line with Pet Sematary, a story that touches on the ancient things in Maine's forests

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

MNIMWA posted:

[/spoiler]

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
200 pages into 11/22/63, my first ever King, and Jake's only just about to get started on his main mission. That's the thing I like about books of epic length, that feeling I get when I've read an entire novel's worth and still haven't scratched the surface.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Clayton Bigsby posted:

I reread it last month (been decades) and I think it is a pretty decent book but good lord it could use an editor chopping a good 20-30% out. Some parts just dragged on or seemed entirely unnecessary.

I think the abrupt shift in the narrative to cover the events in the town kind of add to that padding. There's like a good 200 pages where the momentum just stops and has to be built up again.

It's still my favorite King book though.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

MNIMWA posted:

I just finished the Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon. I liked it! The main character was surprisingly super endearing and I actually tend to think that the fantastic elements, the God of the Lost and the Subaudible etc., aren't just in Tricia's head but they're real or somewhat real - there's some good discussion around this on the Just King Things podcast and what King is doing here, though they're more of the view that it's mainly metaphor for conversion. I read it as partly that but also in line with Pet Sematary, a story that touches on the ancient things in Maine's forests

thats kinda what i viewed too. I like when kings stories are slow burn tragedies with some sort of horror at the heart as a cause or caused by it. its why i love pet sematary, you know where its headed but he drags it out to really make it hurt.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
I don't remember who in the thread said that early King was Old Testament while new King was New Testament, but Tom Gordon certainly tracks with that. If he'd killed her at the end of the book, I think there might have been more weight or resonance like with Cujo, but newer King tends toward happy (or at least earned) endings. (Exceptions like Full Dark No Stars obviously.)

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

FPyat posted:

200 pages into 11/22/63, my first ever King, and Jake's only just about to get started on his main mission. That's the thing I like about books of epic length, that feeling I get when I've read an entire novel's worth and still haven't scratched the surface.

Out of curiosity, what made you start with that one?

It's a good read even though, as others have mentioned, there's a really long slow part in there that I remember skimming through quite a bit. Just wondering how you settled on 11/22/63 as your first King endeavor, given how many much more famous ones he's known for. Is it because it's not one of his more well known movie/series adaptations or are you just a Kennedy buff?

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
I’m interested in time travel, alternate history, presidential history in a way that I’m not in King’s horror premises - I prefer horror short stories.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

FPyat posted:

I prefer horror short stories.

That's where King is at his best, IMO. I'd look for either Skeleton Crew or Night Shift as far as those go. They're older collections of stories from the days when he was writing short stories for magazines, and they're both very good.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

FPyat posted:

I’m interested in time travel, alternate history, presidential history in a way that I’m not in King’s horror premises - I prefer horror short stories.

If you haven't be sure to check out Connie Willis's Doomsday Book (and sequels) and Tim Powers's The Anubis Gates.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

loving hell I guess King never thought anyone who knew Swedish was ever going to read Thinner. It's really loving jarring.

Von Pluring
Sep 19, 2003

Zelensky's Zealots
Pork Pro

3D Megadoodoo posted:

loving hell I guess King never thought anyone who knew Swedish was ever going to read Thinner. It's really loving jarring.

What’s that?

I only read it in Swedish and that was a couple of decades ago so I can’t remember if that jarring thing made it through translation or not.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Von Pluring posted:

What’s that?

I only read it in Swedish and that was a couple of decades ago so I can’t remember if that jarring thing made it through translation or not.

The "gypsies" speak gibberish Swedish written without the full alphabet.

quote:

'Enkelt av lakan och kanske alskade! Just det!'

Von Pluring
Sep 19, 2003

Zelensky's Zealots
Pork Pro

3D Megadoodoo posted:

The "gypsies" speak gibberish Swedish written without the full alphabet.

Lol, weird

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
Wow, Jake is more than six feet tall? I did not get that impression from the entire first third of the book.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

FPyat posted:

Wow, Jake is more than six feet tall? I did not get that impression from the entire first third of the book.

Stephen King is 6’4”, and has a slightly skewed perspective on the average male height.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Salem's Lot is going directly to hbo max sometime this year.

https://www.ign.com/articles/stephen-kings-salems-theatrical-release-date-max

I'd forgotten all about it. I know Warner Brothers is in a tailspin, but a gotta wonder about the quality of a movie that's been on the shelf for 2 years and skipping theaters.

You know it's really going to suck. :drac:

deoju fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Mar 13, 2024

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

deoju posted:

Salem's Lot is going directly to hbo max sometime this year.

https://www.ign.com/articles/stephen-kings-salems-theatrical-release-date-max

I'd forgotten all about it. I know Warner Brothers is in a tailspin, but a gotta wonder about the quality of a movie that's been on the shelf for 2 years and skipping theaters.

You know it's really going to suck. :drac:

Wasn’t it postponed to q2 this year initially? Too bad it’s skipping theaters altogether now. I believe King was pretty happy with what he had seen last time I read about the project.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

LochNessMonster posted:

I believe King was pretty happy with what he had seen last time I read about the project.

That's not always a reliable endorsement

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Stephen King would put a pull quote on the dump I just took if it had a cover.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
"I've stared into the brown eye of evil, and it is Baron von Eevl" - Stephen King, maybe

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
King promoted the hell out of the zack efron firestarter and that movie was garbage.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

OK "Thinner" really wasn't very good :(

I guess maybe "Running Man" next.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Running Man is really fun, Thinner is pretty miserable all around.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I like the little trick King pulls in Thinner of making you think Billy Halleck is a down-on-his-luck schmuck just by surrounding him with marginally worse people than he is, then reminding you that no, he actually sucked all along in the ending.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Android Blues posted:

I like the little trick King pulls in Thinner of making you think Billy Halleck is a down-on-his-luck schmuck

I didn't think that at any point.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Android Blues posted:

I like the little trick King pulls in Thinner of making you think Billy Halleck is a down-on-his-luck schmuck just by surrounding him with marginally worse people than he is, then reminding you that no, he actually sucked all along in the ending.

Hey, it's arrested development!

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Trying to think of a garbage King adaptation (there are several) that would benefit most from a remake. I guess Dark Tower is the obvious choice but I've never seen it. I'm thinking maybe The Tommyknockers or Under the Dome.

A proper remake of Thinner is an idea because it's a good book.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

BiggerBoat posted:

Trying to think of a garbage King adaptation (there are several) that would benefit most from a remake. I guess Dark Tower is the obvious choice but I've never seen it. I'm thinking maybe The Tommyknockers or Under the Dome.

I'd love either of those; I really dig both of those books, and there's something about Under The Dome that just hits right for me.

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":
under the dome went from pretty good to completely off the rails in the worst way in like 5 episodes and I'm still mad about it

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

king put jack reacher in under the dome for a small cameo so under the dome needs to be adapted for the third season of reacher with reacher replacing barbie wholesale. thats what i think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

BiggerBoat posted:

Apparently there was a Tommyknockers adaptation in development by James Wan back in 2018 but unlikely that it will ever materialize.

I've never seen the TV mini series version, might have to try and track that down just for the hell of it.