Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deltron 3030
Jul 23, 2006

I submit that you took that baseball, stashed it in your unusually large vagina, and walked right on out of here!
The only Stephen King book I started but never finished was Bag of Bones. I don't know if I just had too much else going on but it just seemed a lot slower than most of his books and I just wasn't really into it. I'm surprised at all the King hate though I've almost always been entertained by him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deltron 3030
Jul 23, 2006

I submit that you took that baseball, stashed it in your unusually large vagina, and walked right on out of here!

Harashaw posted:

Perhaps the same could be said of all movie adaptions!

Well, except The Shining. That was pretty great.

The Shawshank Redemption (based on a short story) and The Green Mile movies are pretty awesome, plus The Mist was decent. Also Carrie.

Deltron 3030
Jul 23, 2006

ATTN: People who are planning to read the short story collection Night Shift.

Do NOT read "The Woman in the Room". It is 100% depressing. There is nothing funny, cool, scary, or exciting involved. It is a tragically realistic story about a guy and his extremely ill mother.

Most of Night Shift is pretty boss, though.

Deltron 3030
Jul 23, 2006

mdemone posted:

If he rewrites DT 5-7, I'll be so pissed at him that I'll wait almost ten minutes until after the bookstore opens on release day.

Woah settle down there, how about you just make sure you are not first in line. No need to get drastic.

I just started re-reading the whole series last night, loving it so far. I originally read the series from 6th-9th grade (I'm 23 now), so it is pretty much like new. Not only is that a long time but I was probably a little too young to appreciate all the themes/awesomeness the first time around.

Deltron 3030
Jul 23, 2006

crankdatbatman posted:

I started Night Shift this past week, and--after thinking I'd just read one or two stories before moving on to something else--I think I'm going to read the whole thing. Pound for pound, which short story collections of King are the best? Which are the worst? I feel Night Shift is one of his better one's, but I have no real evidence to back this up outside of my gut feeling.

I hope I'm not too late. Don't read "The Woman in the Room". Despite the intriguing title, it is just an absolutely tragic and realistic story about a man and his dying mother.

I haven't read everything in Night Shift but that was the only one I didn't enjoy so far.

Edit: Seriously don't read it, it depressed me at the time and I'm sad just thinking about it now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deltron 3030
Jul 23, 2006

crankdatbatman posted:

I haven't read it yet, but I'm the type who has to read everything in a book when I get into it; so pray for me, I'm going in.

So far I really enjoy Night Shift. The Boogeyman is my favorite so far. The Mangler is kind of ridiculous, but it's done in a way that is still creepy.

Alright but don't blame me when it literally causes you to lapse into depression.

"The Last Rung on the Ladder" was pretty cool/suspenseful for most of the story, then has a suddenly depressing ending. Enjoy that one too!