Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Izzy Mandelbaum
Dec 5, 2006

It's go time
This thread reminds me of the joke in the simpsons or family guy where King has to come up with a book idea to his publishers and picks up the "haunted lamp" in his office. I bet his publisher has had the same rolleye reaction in real life many times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Izzy Mandelbaum
Dec 5, 2006

It's go time

Metonymy posted:

I'm not refusing to read it. But if it develops the world that was introduced in the first book, and it does it in the same style, I'm not interested. Especially given all of the negative comments I've seen about the later books in the series.

It's actually quite different. I recommend you read that and the wastelands because both of those are better than the gunslinger (wastelands is awesome).

Izzy Mandelbaum
Dec 5, 2006

It's go time

H.P. Shivcraft posted:

Well, if the pseudo-folksy language was what turned him off, then you should at least mention that Roland's interactions with 1980s New York spawn such wonderful phrases as "tooter fish."

Honestly, I can only say that it's worth sticking with the series for Waste Lands alone. I felt like Gunslinger was okay if bland, and Drawing was pretty uneven, being either very boring (Eddie and Detta/Odetta) or really interesting (the lobstrosities, Jack Mort). Waste Lands is, for me, the high point, and loads of fun. Everything after that is simply heartbreak.

I'm so glad that Detta was only in it for a little bit. I wouldn't be able to get through the series with her in it. I agree that some parts were really boring, but everything with Eddie in New York was good.

P.S you forgot the "honk mafahs".

Izzy Mandelbaum
Dec 5, 2006

It's go time

Subfocus posted:

Wizard and Glass (Dark Tower IV).

This is the flashback one that is oh so boring. I've been trying to get through it for about a year, and I'm still barely 100 pages in.

Every time I pick up this book, it goes something like:
"Hey, I'll read some more Dark Tower."
Reads one paragraph.
"Hey, there's some paint drying over there!"
Puts book down.

It's a shame, really, because I enjoyed the first few books and I'd like to finish the series (though everyone seems to tell me that I shouldn't).

I think I'm the only one that enjoyed the flashback. It was kind of like taking break from the series to read a short fantasy novel, before picking up where I left off.