Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Helsing posted:

Insomnia. Seven hundred pages about a retired old man with sleep problems followed by 100 pages of boring metaphysics and a tie in with the Dark Tower that King proceeded to completly disown when he actually finished up the series (serves me right too, the supposed Dark Tower conneciton is the only reason I wasted my time).

King is a great writer if you have the right balance of forces. Keep him confined within a fifteen to hundred and fifty page limit and he can do some really interesting stuff. Shorter than that and he gets pointlessly weird, longer and his characters start spending fifty pages at the supermarket.

Insomnia is awesome. The answer to the question posed in this thread is always going to be Cell. Cell is absolutely horrible. If I read a Stephen King book or story that I don't think is that good, I can at least say "Hey, this is still better than Cell!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Anyone else really like his short story "You Know They Got a Hell of a Band"? Nightmares and Dreamscapes will always be my favorite collection of his short stories.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

dojokm posted:

I've never read most of the ones that are considered bad King books like Dreamcatcher and Rose Madder. I've also never read any of The Dark Tower stuff because I've heard about how it ends and how bad it gets. But for me the worst book was Gerald's Game. I know some others have mentioned it, it's one of those books where the plot sounds like it could be really interesting in theory but the execution wasn't very good.

I can't believe people mentioned both his obsession with bad fathers and the creepy sexual stuff without mentioning Gerald's Game. The flashbacks to her childhood in that, yech.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Why does it remind me so much of the combined cover for Desperation/The Regulators?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Blarticus posted:

All the talk about his short stories got me thinking of my favorite, but unable to come up with the name, it's the one about the guy and his genius brother and how he tries to cure all the world's problems with the water he brews from that town in Texas that has the lowest incidences of violence in the nation? The ending with him slowly losing his faculties, reminiscent of the guy stranded on the island slowly eating himself, was really heart-breaking

"The End of the Whole Mess" from Nightmares and Dreamscapes.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Goreld posted:

Or from Skeleton Crew, the story The Raft - an EVIL OIL SLICK!!

Which turned out to be pretty loving freakish nightmare fuel.

The Moving Finger is a story about a finger that moves. I hope this isn't a spoiler for anyone.

What was the scary monster in Dedication? I mean, the magical retard of the story was obviously the stained sheets themselves.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Troposphere posted:

Thought I'd put on my cool kid glasses and show off my Stephen King related tattoo. It connects two of my favorite books from him, kudos if you know what it means.
edit: er, oops, I just noticed the picture is mirrored. So imagine it the right way instead of the wrong way.

Kamikaze?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Troposphere posted:

har har.

Well I hope you at least got the reference.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Would anyone else have enjoyed a Stephen King-involved anthology series of the Twilight Zone/Tales From the Dark Side/Tales From the Crypt/Outer Limits type which uses that freaky extra dimensional tale-telling club that appeared in only one of his stories as a framing device? Because I sure as heck would.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

fishmech posted:

That club did show up a second time! I forget where the second time was, it might have been in Just After Sunset.

Hmm, I don't remember reading another story about them.

I'm about to start Lisey's Story, the only King book I have never read. Without spoiling it for me is there anything I should know about it before I start? Isn't it supposed to be terrible?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

H.P. Shivcraft posted:

The tale-telling club showed up in Different Seasons for "The Breathing Method" and in Skeleton Crew for "The Man Who Would Not Shake Hands". And I agree, I always wanted to see the club show up again in another story or novel, but it never did. (Although fishmech might be right, it might have been in Just After Sunset -- I haven't read that yet.)

I remembered it from "The Man Who Would Not Shake Hands" but not that it was used in "The Breathing Method".

Poor "Method", the only story from that book that hasn't been made into a movie.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

iostream.h posted:

It loving sucks. Worse than Cell. Worse than anything.

It sucked so bad I STILL haven't been able to bring myself to read Duma Key.

Ah, crud. I hated, hated, hated Cell. I haven't heard anything about Lisey's Story except what I've read from the back of the copy I just bought and vague things in this thread and elsewhere about how bad it is. I've tried to ignore people talking about it up till now.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Lisey's Story Progress Report, page 44/653:

Smuck, smuck, smuck.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Lisey's Story Progress Report, page 323/653

Words I am entirely sick of:
bool
smuck
bad-gunky

Other than that, I don't think this is so bad. Not good, but not by any means awful. I've just reached the scene where Jim Dooley has her in his clutches and I hope to hell this is going somewhere. Don't burst my bubble if it isn't.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

The Saddest Robot posted:

Lisey's Story is a smucking bad-gunky pile of bool.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I finished Lisey's Story.

I'm left without an understanding of the strong hatred for it. It's not great, it's not bad. The made up words are particularly annoying but definitely not as stupid as the stuff in the later Dark Tower books. The plot is nowhere near as stupid as Cell. Lisey's feelings for the absent Scott are affecting in the same way that the sadness of Ralph in Insomnia and Mike in Bag of Bones were. You can't deny that King does a good job writing about missing a dead spouse.

Teriyaki Hairpiece fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Apr 19, 2010

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Zimadori Zinger posted:

Yeah, he talks about it in On Writing. King doesn't plan. He just writes and writes and writes with no ending in mind, which is why his endings usually feel rushed and/or awful.

He has flashback-Scott speak badly about planning out books in Lisey's Story.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I've just finished listening to the first half of "Hearts in Atlantis" narrated by William Hurt. Holy crap, that guy is a good reader. I've read that book several times before but he really made it come alive. Strongly, strongly recommended for any King fans or people who just like audiobooks in general.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

For any people who are both King fans and fans of Mad Men, the eclipse featured in the episode "Seven Twenty Three" from last season is the same eclipse that features so prominently in Gerald's Game.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Bad adaptations of Stephen King:
Dolan's Cadillac
The Langoliers

The TV adaptations of The Shining, It, and The Stand are all okay, but not amazing.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

The only Stephen King story that will never ever be adapted in any way is Dedication.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Come on, movie industry, when are we getting an Eyes of the Dragon movie?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

So someone from the Onion AV Club just reviewed The Stand.

http://www.avclub.com/articles/stephen-kings-the-stand,51731/

I'm not sure how much I agree with his central point, but I definitely agree that the earlier parts of the book are the best. I can understand being such a big fan of Harold Lauder. What do you all think of the review?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

It was all destiny, see, she was a neglectful mom so that Jack would be independently-minded enough to carry out his quest to get the Talisman and fix everything. You see, the power of the Talisman is like a wheel...

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I just reread "It" again for the nth time, and started watching the TV series adaptation.

What I was struck about in the adaptation is just how incredibly weak everything in there is. I know it's TV, and a heck of a lot of things couldn't be shown, and I know the book is extremely long and a lot of things had to be cut for time, but still.

So much of things in It are absolutely ridiculous and gruesome, and that's the whole point. Derry, especially in the flashbacks, is a nightmarish town that's largely the product of an interdimensional monster.

A good example of this is when Ben escapes from Henry Bowers for the first time, falling into the Barrens. In the book, Ben gets hosed up by the encounter. The book is very clear. In the adaptation, he's barely touched. The adaptation is just this, over and over and over and over again.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm curious, which book did everyone start reading Stephen King with?

I started with Nightmares and Dreamscapes, which I still think is almost all gold.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

You guys have a few points wrong. The aliens were a type of fungus/parasite. The grays weren't hallucinations, and Duddits was just a magical retard.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Ridonkulous posted:

Then what where they?
The Grays?

They were either some form of the fungus or a species that had been taken over by the fungus.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

JustFrakkingDoIt posted:

Board games are the new comics? Can't wait to see who they cast as the Monopoly guy. :allears:
Steve Buscemi in a top hat with CGI-enhanced yellow teeth would be pretty nice.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

If I've learned anything from reading every Stephen King book and story, it's that city life isn't perfect, but the city is the safest of all possible places, and that you should always try to be around as many people as you can.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Even though being around many thousands of people may not absolutely save you, it's still incredibly preferable to being in that house in the woods or any small town.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Also, don't take shortcuts, ever. Absolutely stick to the main highways. Unless of course all trucks have become sentient or a hideous gateway to another dimension has been opened.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Has anyone seen the Salem's Lot miniserieses? Are either of them worth watching?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Just finished rereading Under the Dome for the first time. Originally read it ~2 years ago.

I found it a lot better the second time around.

Auryn posted:

Anyway, Under the Dome had a very interesting premise, I was psyched as hell to read it. There were some good characters, but I really thought the plot just fell apart at the end. They could have done a lot more with it. For example, they could have made it actually turn out to BE a military experiment that the military denies involvement in. I would have been happier with GOD DID IT than aliens not mentioned in this book until right now did it. I mean, I'd have to reread to be sure, but I don't remember ANY foreshadowing of aliens. I LOVE King but a deus ex machina is a piece of poo poo no matter who writes it, unfortunately. And thats what the aliens were.If I'm wrong, don't hesitate to tell me!

There is actually some foreshadowing about it being aliens, specifically one conversation with Colonel Cox. Finding a possibly alien device was part of Barbara's mission.

I thought the dome being created by alien children was kind of stupid on my first read, also. However, I really came around to it on the second one.

My take on the book is that it's really just about how badly people screw things up. It's emphasized over and over and over again how many supplies the town either has or should have, plenty to last them a good long time under the Dome. Barbara has the capacity to be a quality leader, authority from the outside, and a clear mission to find out what was going on.

It's also pretty clearly stated that the alien device was in an obvious location. It's on a high area that overlooks everything and is surrounded by creepy animal corpses and a huge barrier that glows brightly at night. Hell, a kid guesses the location of the device without even seeing it.

Without all the evil that was in the people of the town the source of the Dome would have been discovered and some solution figured out at some point. It's good that it was something stupid like alien kids because that makes all the actions of Rennie and company a million times worse. If it was a government conspiracy that would make everyone, even the worse characters, into nothing but victims who make things worse for themselves. Unthinking, uncaring, all-powerful aliens being the cause of the Dome highlights the fact that it's the people who really screw things up.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Octy posted:

Mind you, I can't think of anyone who is good at writing about sex.
Harry Turtledove?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Octy posted:

Never read him. Quote a few lines for me?
Sorry, I was just making a bad joke. Turtledove is known for his horribly, horribly written sex scenes that he just randomly sprinkles throughout his books with no rhyme or reason.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

In On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft, the main character manages to conquer his addictions to drugs and alcohol. Sorry to spoil it for you. :smug:

Ahh I spoiled a plot point from a book published only 12 years ago I'm sorry I'm sorry.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

They just put the movie adaptation of Thinner up on Netflix. It's not so great.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Ineffiable posted:

Just started reading The Desperation.

Can anyone tell me how it's supposed to sort of tie in with The Regulators? (spoiler free) All I know is, King sort of wrote them at the same time and they're basically sister novels (but not sequels/prequels)
The only way the two directly tie in together is that the art on the original hardcovers made one picture if you sat the two books side by side. Also The Regulators is better always always.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

iostream.h posted:

You may have a point (that I disagree with) but part of the effectiveness of the novella was simply not knowing either way.

Actually, I really do disagree, the whole pony of the novella was perseverance against all odds especially without knowing what lies ahead, the ending perfectly exemplifies this whereas the movies ending was a cheap shock thrill for audiences that are unable to accept an ambiguous ending and need everything neatly spelled out and shrinkwrapped for them.

Maybe I'm being a little spergy, but the novella has been one of my favorites since I was very young and I utter despised the ending of the movie.
You're being a lot spergy. Check out this quote from the last bit of the novella. I hate giant spoiler blocks, but it's all very necessary.

quote:

I looked out the window to make sure it was gone and then opened the door. “What are you doing?” Amanda screamed, but I knew what I was doing. I like to think Ollie would have done exactly the same thing. I half-stepped, half-leaned out, and got the gun. Something came rapidly toward me, but I never saw it. I pulled back in and slammed the door shut. Amanda began to sob. Mrs. Reppler put an arm around her and comforted her briskly. Billy said, “Are we going home, Daddy?” “Big Bill, we're gonna try.” “Okay,” he said quietly. I checked the gun and then put it into the glove compartment. Ollie had reloaded it after the expedition to the drugstore. The rest of the shells had disappeared with him, but that was all right. He had fired at Mrs. Carmody, he had fired once at the clawed thing, and the gun had discharged once when it hit the ground. There were four of us in the Scout, but if push came right down to shove, I'd find some other way out for myself.

If you think the ending of the movie goes against the text as it's written, you're ignoring the whole point of this quote. He risks exposure to the beasts in the mist to get the gun specifically so it can be used to do what he does in the movie.