Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Taeke posted:

It's been a while since I read It, but maybe that was just the kid's impression the pharmacist? It's very common for kids to find perfectly normal people creepy or sinister for absolutely no reason, especially ones the in a sort of gatekeeper profession of (perceived) power. The creepy librarian for example is pretty common.

The librarian is my most hated villain of A Tree Grows in Brooklyn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

BiggerBoat posted:

wasps

:colbert:

I read Dr. Sleep but haven't seen the movie. I watched some synopsis reviews and it looks like it's better than it has any right to be (much like the book) but wtf is interesting or scary about the True Knot? An idea like that seems to fly in the face of the spirit of the originals and would work better in something like Salem's Lot than The SHining.

Director's Cut movie Dr. Sleep is a sequel to movie Shining and goes off in a completely insane direction very different than the book and *major spoilers*: has adult Danny go back to the non-boiler-exploded totally intact Overlook Hotel, and then has him do everything Jack goes through in the book.

Imagine someone who fully understands that people are more familiar with Movie Shining than Book Shining, who loves actual Book Shining, got put in charge of adapting Doctor Sleep.

And they got the job by telling executives that they were going to make a sequel to the popular movie, and that the movie they were making could be marketed as a sequel to that movie.

And then they created a film that has some elements of a sequel to the movie, and some elements of the book they're supposedly adapting, but actually is an adaptation of Book Shining. Secretly! The only way The Shining could be actually made into a movie in the 2010's!

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Yes it's all the emotional stuff from the book that the movie left out added to the visual stuff the movie was good at with also some of the novel Doctor Sleep thrown in there as a way to move things along.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Don't forget all the stuff about how your addiction seems cool and interesting and you the addict seem like a neat person but in the end it's just addiction and response it's intensely boring in its sadness.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

If Jack Torrance got a job at the Overlook in the high season, June or July, whatever job it was, and he and Wendy and Danny lived there, would the hotel have tried to go after Danny in the same way?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

NikkolasKing posted:

So I'm still going through the Kill Count playlist and got o Dr. Sleep. I didn't know this was a Shining sequel.

Is it worth reading? What are its connections to The Shining?

Movie is better than the book.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

So it's going to be more true crime garbage?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I only like the audiobook of From a Buick 8. I don't know why.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

NikkolasKing posted:

On the topic of the Losers' post-Derry life and all its accompanying weirdness, I did remember the comment on how they all ended up pretty well off. I couldn't recall if their memories fading and their success was part of IT's machinations. After all, maybe IT was "bribing" them to stay away.

That theory seems conclusively disproven by the taunting nature of the 1980s murders. IT didn't want the little shits gone forever, It went out of its way to make its kills this time as blatant as possible to lure them in. Seems like a poor idea, probably should have just made them stay away.
It has been around since in came down on a meteorite during dinosaur times, and It's bored?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Gambrinus posted:

There's also a psychic dog as well, although it's been so long since I've read it I can't remember what the dog does.

The dog was the best character.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

That slow middle is at least good at creating a powerful sense of dread.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

If you've got premium, Spotify now has the very good audiobook of From a Buick Eight that is strangely hard to find. I think it's even better than reading the printed version. It's a story made for an audio production.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

LochNessMonster posted:

How do I find this, I thought spotify only had Audiobooks and podcasts?!

Just search for it, it's there

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Can we come with an exhaustive list of Stephen King characters who just do their jobs? Most of them don't have anything bad happen to them. They just do their jobs and don't bother anyone

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

King seems to like the wise janitor or groundskeeper that no one pays attention to but who knows exactly what's going on. I'm surprised he never learned about Star Trek's Boothby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Needful Things maybe? The movie was nowhere near darkly funny enough.

The Stand desperately needs a good one.

Needful Things with Idris Elba as Leland Gaunt and Juno Temple as Sheriff Alaina Pangborn