Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
I'm going to have to add another vote for Dreamcatcher. I knew he'd just been hit by a goddamned van and still I read that book wondering what the gently caress he'd been thinking when he thought this stuff up. I mean, the opening scenes with all the attention lavished on farting... yes, all right, there was a point to it, but there's only so much FAAAART FART FART I'm willing to accept.

And I actually sort of like The Tommyknockers, although I'll agree that it's not one of his best.

(Once I finished Dreamcatcher I fully intended to sell it to Half-Price Books and get it the hell out of my house. Somehow, I forgot to put it on the stack. Six months later we were cleaning out the bookshelves and I pulled out Dreamcatcher and had a total AAAAH THE SHITWEASELS ARE HAUNTING MEEEEE moment.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
This thread has made me question my reasonably positive memories of a bunch of newer Stephen King books, so once I emptied my to-be-read pile I went back to my King collection.

I reread Duma Key. I still liked it. It's definitely not without its flaws, and, well, as a dog returns to its vomit so does Stephen King return to his favorite themes, but I enjoyed the book the first time and I enjoyed it this time, too.

Then I grabbed Lisey's Story. I got one chapter in and became aware of this dragging feeling of ugh I don't want to read the rest of this book again, which is odd, because I seem to recall more or less enjoying the book the first time. (Although even then I was thinking of it as Rose Madder II: Less Beating, More Can-Opener.)

In conclusion, I still hate Dreamcatcher more than anything, but I'll now admit that you guys have a point about Lisey's Story.

And now I'll just be over here with my copy of Hearts In Atlantis.