Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
Easily Dreamcatcher. The novel was poo poo through and through. The Dark Tower books after The Wizard and Glass vary from disappointing to bad but I didn't think they were awful on the level that Dreamcatcher was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
Lisey's Story is a smucking bad-gunky pile of bool.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

cheerfullydrab posted:

I finished Lisey's Story.

I'm left without an understanding of the strong hatred for it. It's not great, it's not bad. The made up words are particularly annoying but definitely not as stupid as the stuff in the later Dark Tower books. The plot is nowhere near as stupid as Cell. Lisey's feelings for the absent Scott are affecting in the same way that the sadness of Ralph in Insomnia and Mike in Bag of Bones were. You can't deny that King does a good job writing about missing a dead spouse.

I think the problem with Lisey's story (aside from the annoying words) is that it meanders. It takes forever to build up any sort of momentum and go anywhere.

When it actually does start moving it gets pretty drat interesting.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
Only if his son publishes under his own psuedonym, and King is writing as Richard Bachman.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
I smucking hate it when King overdoes that.

Though some dark, terrible part of me wonders what a Stephen King novel where every character spoke in repetitive catch phrases and every chapter begins or ends (or both) with a tired cliche. A parody of King, written by King.