Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

I've seen pogs you people wouldn't believe

Stentorian Longing posted:

Well the thing with The Bogeyman is that I read it first when I was like 8 years old and it scared the living poo poo out of me. When I revisited it a few years ago I couldn't believe how it ended - because when I was younger what happened to the son scared me so bad I didn't keep reading. I dunno, it just seemed like a really random ending, kinda deus ex machina.

Oh Jesus.. the first time I heard that story was when I HEARD that story, with King doing his own audiobook reading of it. King's creepy loving voice really put the monster in my head, and yeah, I was like 9. Combine that with a pre-existing fear of the dark and especially my closet... That was terrible. I still have my closet door closed at all times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

Ortsacras posted:

Uhh...yeah? The monster that feeds on imagination is defeated by them imagining things that help them? I don't see how that's even a little bit ridiculous.
The imagining things part has context, but the 11 year old gangbang in order for "their love for each other to lead them out of the sewers" is just thrown in there because King needs an uncomfortable sex scene in every book.
Like The Stand when there's 2 pages of "I just stuck this gun up your rear end, now jerk me off or die, human being."
Eyes of the Dragon had a phrase or two where the King explained to his WAY young bride something like "Oh, it's just a mythical snake... don't get it angry!!" or some such creepy "old man talking to tiny girl about cocks" thing.
Or The Long Walk, where the boys decide that if they weren't walking, why, yes, they'd go ahead and do things to each other. I mean why not, right?

There's other examples, and I wish I'd made a list at some point.
But whenever King mentions sex, he seems to write from this sorta "outsider" perspective", like its something that HE'S not really comfortable with, and it shows.
I wish the Shining actually HAD the creepy furry giving a blowjob part in the book, because it would've jived with pretty much every other time he's talked about loving.

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

NosmoKing posted:

Also, the fat kid had the biggest cock, and it hurt the pre-teen girl's poon.

loving hell, Steve-o.

Wait, there was lines about this? I thought it just sorta ended a chapter with "alright everyone, lets get to this" and then they didn't really mention it again.
Ewww.... Dammit Mr. King.
oh, maybe off-topic a little, but Joe Hill (King's son) has written some decent stuff, I really liked Heart-Shaped Box. Check it out!

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

What killed Just After Sunset for me was the exercise bike story. It just didn't engage me.

I saw the audiobook of that a while back.... most "LAMP MONSTER" cover ever.

Just the imagery and the bleeding letters and the "windy" road sign and ooooooh STATIONARY BIKE... funniest drat thing in the world to me walking through a book store.
I wonder if the story has him getting lost, or has a child in some sort of mortal danger, as the font and the bleedingness of it suggest; or if it's just another "guy takes a magical trip and learns that life ain't all bad" kinda story like he's done 1,000 of.

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

If you have to completely eliminate the worst part of it, you might as well not make it, though. It'd be like if they made a version of IT without the underage gang-rape in the sew.... oh wait.

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

Just read UR today. I'd heard that it was "oooooh... a haunted Kindle..." story, made exclusively for Kindles.
It's not, really, it's top class short story King. The characterization and dialogue is all great, and while there is definitely a thing that is strange about the Kindle in the story, it ties it with his universe really well.

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

I'm not gonna spoil this because it may not have happened, but I thought the baby turned the mother? In which case it could've been implied that she let him in? Or hell maybe vampire baby invited him, I dunno.

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

Sometime after Tommyknockers ('87?) his family did an intervention that led to him eventually quitting pretty much everything. I think Blood and Smoke, him reading 3 short stories that dealt with smoking as audiobooks, was him quitting smoking, too?

And I think the sewer scene in IT isn't the worst thing ever written, rather it's indicative of him sneaking an uncomfortable sex scene of some sort into lots of different stories. Hell, the scene in The Stand where guy sticks a revolver up other guys rear end and whispers "make me cum or die" did not need to be there either. Actually I think that's one of the extra scenes in the revised version.
Or the entire plot of Gerald's Game.
Or the furries in The Shining.
Come on y'all, help me out, I know there are more "King has sex issues" scenes.

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

Yeah, he seems to be telling a story in this book; in Under the Dome it seemed like he was trying to do a character study of an entire city, which was just not interesting at all, because none of the characters were interesting. Halfway through 11/12/63, doesn't even feel like I've been reading all day. :)

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

I think the reason the book drags there is the same reason the sailing parts in Moby Dick are long and boring as gently caress; the author is trying to impress upon you just how bored the characters are during this period of time, by making you as bored as they are.
Or I could've just compared Stephen King to Melville in which case I should probably die in a fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

On Facebook there's this thing where characters from his books are introducing a character from his new book; it's weird because it feels like they're saying "Hey, remember when he was good? Remember? He's got a new book comin' out!"
And even if it's poo poo, it's Stephen King, so why would his publishers/publicists be worried enough to advertise the new book in this fashion? Is it THAT lovely?
Hope not. :(