Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bag Of Ghosts
Jan 17, 2008

Who needs a TEC-9
When you can fold space-time
I lace rhymes with math
Like sine and cosine
It's not a novel, but has anyone here read "Ur?" It's Stephen King's Kindle-exclusive short story. It was written to help promote the Kindle.

It is about a professor who receives a haunted Kindle in the mail. For those who didn't hear me: IT IS ABOUT A PROFESSOR WHO RECEIVES A HAUNTED KINDLE IN THE MAIL. And it is ten kinds of terrible. The characters literally have conversations about the Kindle's features and praise it endlessly.

I loved Misery and kinda enjoyed The Shining but ho my God in heaven this story . . . it is the Worst Thing. Stephen King, buddy, I love and respect you, but you are a sellout.

Stephen King's short fiction in general isn't very good. I read Just After Sunset and was kind of meh about every story in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bag Of Ghosts
Jan 17, 2008

Who needs a TEC-9
I lace rhymes with math
Like sine and cosine

Dr. Mulholland posted:

I really hope this is a joke. That's terrible.

http://www.slashgear.com/exclusive-stephen-king-novella-ur-for-kindle-2-buyers-0933553/

I'm . . . I'm so sorry.

*weeps*

Bag Of Ghosts
Jan 17, 2008

Who needs a TEC-9
I lace rhymes with math
Like sine and cosine

Ghidzilla posted:

What about a least favorite short story? Anyone have one?

Of the ones I've read of his, I think I hated Jerusalem's Lot, from his Night Shift collection. Very disjointed and very hard to read, very dissapointing as I was expecting vampires and got a giant earthworm instead.

"The Cat From Hell" from Just After Sunset. This is a story about a hitman who is hired by a rich dude to kill his demon-possessed cat. The hitman puts the cat in a bag (this is the stupidest thing) and drives out to the river in order to drown the cat. But the cat claws its way out of the bag and kills the hitman by burrowing down his throat. The End.

Bag Of Ghosts
Jan 17, 2008

Who needs a TEC-9
I lace rhymes with math
Like sine and cosine

muscles like this? posted:

Another Just After Sunset clunker is the one about the guy who's a mystery writer and he becomes some kind of ultimate bad-rear end like his pseudonym when he finds a guy beating up his girlfriend at a public restroom. It was basically The Dark Half redux.

Basically I dislike most of Just After Sunset. Stephen King admits that he wrote a lot of the stories in that collection during his craaaaaazy 20s, a time when he was "flying by the seat of [his] pants" (this is taken from the introduction) and just writing like crazy but not really caring about fancy-schmancy writer techniques like "revision." And it shows. These stories don't really lead anywhere and the characters in them bore me.

That said, the one where the dude has to escape a Port-O-Potty owns.