Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crunch Bucket
Feb 11, 2008

Duuh! These are staaairs!

The Gunslinger posted:

The Long Walk is one of his best short stories, you won't be disappointed with that one.

Agreeing with the several people who brought this one up (though it's more of a novella, less of a short story). I know this thread is supposed to be discussing his worst - but TLW will always remain as one of my favorite stories of all time.

More recently, I picked up Duma Key and absolutely loved it. It felt like more of a return to his earlier writing and I was able to get through it fairly quickly.

I could not get through Lisey's Story after several attempts. I got through about 1/3 of the book hoping that some kind of solid plot would emerge, but I was bored to tears and simply could not continue.

From a Buick 8, Dreamcatcher (as has been mentioned several times already), and The Regulators are among his biggest stinkers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crunch Bucket
Feb 11, 2008

I enjoyed Tom Gordon. It's been about 10 years since I read it, but I remember it being light and fast and not overly boring. Of course, I also enjoyed the hell out of Duma Key.

The Long Walk will always be my favorite Stephen King book. I couldn't finish Lisey's Story so that one will be my contribution to this thread.

Crunch Bucket
Feb 11, 2008

I second the Duma Key recommendation. I enjoyed the heck out of that one. I couldn't finish Lisey's Story.. it's probably one of my least favorite King books. Under The Dome was entertaining and I inhaled 11/22/63 in record time.. it's that good.

Crunch Bucket
Feb 11, 2008

I am thrilled to see some Long Walk love in this thread. It was the 2nd King book I ever read and even though I've now pretty much read everything he's written (except anything past The Gunslinger in the DT series), it remains my favorite. To this day I find myself on a walk or on the treadmill and thinking about how long I would last at an endless 4.0 mph pace.

Crunch Bucket
Feb 11, 2008

Spring Mint posted:

After a quick scan of the thread, I think I'm probably the only person who liked The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon. It was over-long and the possible supernatural twist was a little weird and unnecessary, but I think it captured the tension of being a lost little kid really well.

Then again, I haven't read it since I was about thirteen. I might feel differently now.

You're not the only one.. I really liked it too. :) Not one of his greatest stories, but I thought it was easy to read and fun, and hey, I was entertained. That's all I ask out of a book.

Crunch Bucket
Feb 11, 2008

Nah, I also enjoyed Rose Madder. I read it in college between classes (about 10 years ago) and remember loving it.

Crunch Bucket
Feb 11, 2008

Victorkm posted:

Maybe I am thinking about the movie as opposed to the book. The movie was pretty bad.

It's been a good long while, but I also remember enjoying reading Thinner. But dear God, yes, stay away from the movie. Far away. That same advice extends to The Running Man.

Crunch Bucket
Feb 11, 2008

Acht posted:

There's something terrifying to the series that doesn't translate to adults, in my opinion, but it has an amazing power for sticking with you. I love it.

I agree. I was only 7 years old when it IT first aired on TV, and I wandered into the room while my parents were watching the opening scene with the clothesline. They kicked me out pretty quickly, but I'd seen enough to freak me out. That LOOK he gives her is seared into my brain:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuzn8bbhhQQ

A couple of years later I got into Goosebumps (and anything R.L. Stine wrote), Are You Afraid of the Dark (and an episode of Tales from the Crypt here and there when I could sneak them in). I didn't start reading King until I was 15, but I've been into horror/supernatural type stuff since I was a wee one. Who knows, maybe that first glimpse of Pennywise is what started the whole thing?

On a related note, I came across my King collection in the attic the other day and I pulled out a few titles that I plan to read again, so my old tattered paperback copy of IT is now sitting on my nightstand, waiting.

Crunch Bucket
Feb 11, 2008

BiggerBoat posted:

So I just picked up Duma Key and Black House. Which one should I read first?

Hm, it's summer, go for Duma Key. I enjoyed the heck out of that one. It's one of my favorite "new King" books, though I read it right after Cell and there's really nowhere to go but up after that mess of a book.

Crunch Bucket
Feb 11, 2008

^^^ I'm pretty sure "A Very Tight Place" was in Just After Sunset, but yes, read that story. It will make you laugh and gross you the hell out all at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crunch Bucket
Feb 11, 2008

Dammit, now I want to read The Long Walk again. I think this will be my 4th time.