Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Anyone who's stopped reading King lately should do themselves a huge favour and pick up Duma Key (one of his most haunting and scariest books in a long time) and Just After Sunset.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

NosmoKing posted:

Kingdom Hospital (TV series): Pair of psychic tards

To be fair to Steve, there were psychic tards in the original Danish version too (which is far better and scary as gently caress)

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Someone needs to do a Misery on him, and while he's incapacitated, get him hooked on painkillers. Voila, the old King is back.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Static Rook posted:

ARC

Without spoilers, is the premise (IE the reason behind the dome) cool and unique or is it something cliched like "aliens did it"?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

madprocess posted:

like he did for 1 and 2

You mean 1.

I was looking on Wikipedia and read this:

quote:

In an interview in March 2009, King stated, describing an idea for a new short story he recently had: "And then I thought, 'Well, why don't I find three more like this and do a book that would be almost like modern fairy tales?' Then this thing started to add on bits and pieces so I guess it will be a novel." According to King, the idea is a new Dark Tower novel. King said, regarding the Dark Tower series, "It's not really done yet. Those seven books are really sections of one long uber-novel."

I really should read book 4-7 and the comic series. Or maybe start again from book 1, it's been 5 years since I finished book 3.

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Oct 29, 2009

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Under the Dome seems to only be paperback in Australia :(

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
There will be an eighth Dark Tower book.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Stephen King posted:

Hey, you guys--I saw a lot of you Constant Readers while I was touring for Under the Dome, and I must say you're looking good. Thanks for turning out in such numbers, and thanks for all the nice things you've said about Under the Dome. There'll be another book next year. It's a good one, I think, but that's not why I'm writing. I mentioned two potential projects while I was on the road, one a new Mid-World book (not directly about Roland Deschain, but yes, he and his friend Cuthbert are in it, hunting a skin-man, which are what werewolves are called in that lost kingdom) and a sequel to The Shining called Doctor Sleep. Are you interested in reading either of these? If so, which one turns your dials more? Ms. Mod will be counting your votes (and of course it all means nothing if the muse doesn't speak). Meanwhile, thanks again for 2009.

The next novel will be either a Dark Tower spin off, or a sequel to the Shining. :psyduck:

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

cheerfullydrab posted:

"The End of the Whole Mess" from Nightmares and Dreamscapes.

I read this just last night in the really cool Wastelands anthology (get this book). I loved it. It didn't read like a Stephen King story at all, which just made me appreciate even more how Stephen King can do almost any genre, and it kinda sucks he's always pinned as "master of horror" or something.

Some of his best stories and novels have no horror at all.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

northerain posted:

Horns sounds completely retarded.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

cheerfullydrab posted:

Well I hope you at least got the reference.

I didnt get it.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I didnt get the kamikaze joke

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
If there's anyone still not decided on reading Duma Key, for the love of god read it! It's fantastic, it reads nothing like any other recent King novel, apart from the character being in an accident at the start. It's pretty drat scary too.

Local Group Bus posted:

that a town of good people could vote to give away a child to a monster

I need to rewatch this, it was awesome.

cheerfullydrab posted:

Lisey's Story Progress Report, page 323/653

Words I am entirely sick of:
bool
smuck
bad-gunky

Any Stephen King novel Report

Words I am entirely sick of:
(insert list of around 3-10 made up words that King uses in this book)

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

regulargonzalez posted:

I haven't read anything past that so Duma Key is really good and I just don't know.

Corrected for reality

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
The Stand is amazing, even though the ending suffers from Stephen-King-wrote-this-ending syndrome. But the journey is incredible.

Salem's Lot was good but I don't get the hype it receives about how scary it is. It really isn't that scary, at all.

Everyone is going to disagree with me but Duma Key is scary, beautiful, heartbreaking and fantastically original. It's my favourite of his recent output. Moreso than Under The Dome.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

3Romeo posted:

There's some really good stories in Night Shift (like Quitters, Inc.) but it's not one of my favorites. Most of the work comes from his days when he was selling stories to any magazine that would take them, and it shows. Again, not awful or anything, but (imo) not one of his best.

Whatever the collection that has "The Raft", "The Mist" and "The Jaunt" all in one book, that's the best book.

Because it has "The Raft", "The Mist" and "The Jaunt" all in one book.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

JammyLammy posted:

"Perhaps you should cut down on the amount of magical retards. We got enough to fill up a small town in New England"

That'll just give him an idea to write an all-magical-retard book

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

fishmech posted:

Stationary Bike is a novella length excuse to his wife for why Stephen King wants to not exercise as much as she says he should and also have some donuts and poo poo. :v:

Honestly I'm surprised George R R Martin didn't write it.

That's a lie, I'm never surprised that George R R Martin doesn't write things

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
N was loving scary as hell, it was great.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Aatrek posted:

Anybody picked up Full Dark, No Stars yet? My copy just showed up in the mail, but I haven't had a chance to start it.

I may wait for the paperback on this one. Too many books to read at the moment.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I'm liking it so far. Finished "1922" the other day but I'm taking a break to finish another novel I'm reading. I'm really digging the four-novellas format. It gives me an excuse to spread out the reading of the book! I should check out his other similar collections after this.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Let's talk King adaptations!

The brilliant:
- Shawshank, obviously. One of the best movies of all goddamn time, let alone best adaptations of his work.
- Stand By Me is another classic, I love that movie so much :h:
- The Mist has to be the best adaptation of his horror work by a long, long way.

The mediocre:
- The Stand had its moments (IE: mostly just the first episode). Rob Lowe and Gary Sinise are the two best things about it by far. Randall Flagg looks ridiculous in his all-denim outfit. Are they trying to make him look like a badass?

The awful:
- The Lawnmower Man - how did this even get to call itself a Stephen King adaptation? It had nothing to do with the story!
- Dreamcatcher - although I've heard the book is terrible too, so maybe it's faithful after all? Also, inexplicably, being possessed by an alien makes you talk in a British accent.

The non-adaptatons:
- Storm Of The Century was an original miniseries right? Anyway it's a bit slow but I really liked it.

The things Stephen King adapted:
- Kingdom Hospital - takes the hosed up, super-scary Danish black comedy and turns it into... loving trash. With gigantic armadillos.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

You're missing an obvious one for Brilliant (at least 'very good'); The Green Mile.

Even if you have issues with the film or its length, it was made extremely well, just as well as Shawshank.

Oh I was just listing what I'd seen :)

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Sergeant Rock posted:

The Shining (two versions)

I am dumb for leaving these out, I have seen both!

The Kubrick version is masterful. The miniseries version is "There was no miniseries version :I"

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I just finished Full Dark, No Stars. I absolutely loved it. The shortest of the 4 stories, "A Fair Extension", was a bit ho-hum and the collection would have been just as strong without it... but I don't mean to complain about getting more stories for my dollar. The best would be either "Big Driver" or "A Good Marriage", both about women struggling to deal with a catastrophic change to their life, and the ways they take matters into their own hands.

The collection's theme is "retribution", and it does pop up in all 4 tales, but the two stories about women do it better than the two about men. Actually, it's interesting, the retribution that the two men seek ("1922" and "A Fair Extension") can be objectively judged as reprehensible, while the retribution the two women seek can be seen as forgivably fair.

I really, really recommend this book.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I liked it, but of his Big Three Books it's in third place. It probably could have been half the length to be honest, because there is just not that much story there. It's far more a portrait of a town and its inhabitants than it is a journey like The Stand or It were.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
There was that episode of Red Dwarf where the shooter behind the grassy knoll turns out to be John F Kennedy

Wikipedia posted:

Their time-travel calculations are a little off and they find themselves in Dallas, Texas on 22 November 1963. They appear at the Texas School Book Depository just as Lee Harvey Oswald is firing at U.S. President John F. Kennedy. They knock him out the window where he dies by hitting the ground, preventing Kennedy's assassination. Police arrive and attempt to arrest the crew for the murder of Oswald as well as the attempted murder of the president. However, the crew escapes by using the time travel device to travel three years forward to 1966.
Kennedy's survival causes an alternate timeline in which:

"President Kennedy was impeached in 1964 for sharing a mistress with Mafia boss, Sam Giancana. It was the biggest scandal in American history. Kennedy was sentenced to three years in an open prison in July, '65. J. Edgar Hoover became president; he was forced to run by the mob, who had pictures of him at a transvestite orgy...Soon after his election, the USSR were allowed to install a nuclear base in Cuba in return for Mafia cocaine trafficking between Cuba and the States. With a Soviet nuclear base 30 miles from the US mainland, people fled from all the major cities."

The crew attempt to correct the situation by returning to the day of the shooting and driving Oswald to a higher floor in the building, but this plan still fails to lead to Kennedy's death; by sending Oswald up another floor, the shot's trajectory is now so steep that Kennedy was merely wounded. With none of the crew willing to shoot the President themselves, Lister travels to Idlewild Airport in 1965 and persuades a post-impeachment Kennedy to travel back to 1963, become a "second gunman" on the grassy knoll, and shoot himself to restore his place in history. The plan works: Kennedy shoots his past self and the timeline is restored. Kennedy grimly thanks the gang for the chance to restore himself to his proper place in history, and fades away as a result of the resetting timeline.

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Mar 3, 2011

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

JohnnyLurg posted:

I'm not a big Stephen King fan, but I've heard from actual Stephen King fans that Duma Key is among his worst.

Uh you're a dumb because it's got pretty much nothing but praise around these parts. I loved it.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I don't know about best individual short story, but the absolute best collection has to be Skeleton Crew because it has the quartet of The Mist, The Jaunt, The Raft and Survivor Type AKA the most hosed up work King has ever written. Goddamn I need to find my copy and read it all again. :h:

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
This is pretty cool!

http://www.liljas-library.com/article.php?id=2310&ref=rss

Bardem nails 'Tower' saga

Javier Bardem has officially signed an epic deal to star in the movie and TV adaptations of Stephen King's "Dark Tower" book series. The Oscar-winning actor will play Roland Deschain in the eagerly awaited Ron Howard and Brian Grazer adaptation of King's beloved seven-novel saga. It's a momentous deal because each of the three movies in the series is to be followed by a TV miniseries. A well-placed source confirmed to Page Six, "Bardem has signed on to the first movie and the miniseries, but the intention is that he will star in all three movies and each of the TV series. It's an enormous deal for any actor, but Bardem was always the first choice." The story follows "Gunslinger" Deschain as he travels through an Old West-like landscape in search of the mythical Dark Tower to save civilization. The first movie is expected to go into production in September with Howard directing.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
If you want someone to get into good, early King, give them a copy of Skeleton Crew with "The Mist", "The Jaunt", "The Raft" and "Survivor Type" marked in the table of contents.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
My first exposure to anything by Stephen King was that awful miniseries of The Langoliers. Then a few days later I saw Four Past Midnight in a newsagent on a ferry and I begged my mum to buy it for me. Pretty lovely book to start on King with, but I ended up a fan anyway :v:

edit: yeah, being 11 and reading The Library Policeman was pretty hosed up. Although i don't think I entirely understood what was happening with the "red hot poker" :P

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

bowmore posted:

You should just put them in random peoples mail boxes. That's what I do with the books I don't think I can sell.

A charity shop down the road from me has a dumpbin full of books they sell for $1, sitting outside the door, on the street. I'm thinking of taking a bunch of books I don't want (and couldn't be hosed selling), and just putting them in the dumpbin. Everyone wins: I get more room on my shelves, the charity store makes more money, and random people can buy these books for a measely dollar.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I read the loving Library Policemen when I was like 11. Thankfully the fact that the main character was being raped by a pedophile escaped me and I wasn't traumatised.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I've decided that when I finish my thesis I'm going to read through the Dark Tower series properly. Last time I tried was late 2004, right before I started uni, and I got about halfway through Wizard And Glass before stopping.

Thinking about it, I remember my paperback copy of book 3 was retarded, because at the end of each book there was a preview chapter for the next one. At the end of book 3 they had the first chapter of book 4, which happened to be the reprinted final chapter of book 3. So my copy went:

(Final scene where Blaine challenges them to the riddle game)
(Cliffhanger where they will surely die!)
AND NOW A SNEAK PREVIEW OF "WIZARD AND GLASS"...
(Scene where Blaine challenges them to the riddle game)
(Cliffhanger where they will surely die!)

It was a bit of a waste of paper.

I'm looking forward to reading them again. I remember loving book 3 in particular. Hopefully I'll finish all 7 books in time for The Wind In The Keyhole to be published, next year. And I think I'll skip the comics and "related novels".

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Also, this is pretty loving awful:

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I find it hard to get excited about individually-released short stories, even by my favourite authors. Maybe it's just because the OCD in me can't tick it off as a book read, so it seems like wasted effort. I'll wait 'til it's collected in his next short story compilation, then I'll read it.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
There's a Goodreads list of the best Stephen King books, voted by over 700 people, and I think it's a pretty good list. Top ten:

1. The Stand
2. It
3. The Shining
4. 'Salem's Lot
5. Misery
6. Pet Sematary
7. The Gunslinger
8. Carrie
9. The Green Mile
10. The Shawshank Redemption (I guess you could vote for novellas too)

http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/309.Best_of_Stephen_King

I need to read more Stephen King. I've only read three of those.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
http://www.liljas-library.com/article.php?id=2645

The Stand is going to be a movie, Baffleck is directing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Ugggh I asked for this for Christmas so I can't read it until then...