Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ballsworthy
Apr 30, 2008

yup
The worst poo poo is that story about the loving cymbal-banging monkey. I swear to god that guy used to just go to antique shops, look around and say to himself, "Hmmm, what hasn't been haunted yet?" The moment he realized that the only thing left was the shop itself blew his loving mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ballsworthy
Apr 30, 2008

yup

The Gunslinger posted:

People poo poo on Wolves of the Calla quite a bit, I think mainly for the whole Roland dancing thing but I thought it was worlds better than the last two books. In general King has always been really hit or miss and I don't care for the magical retard plot devices that been in far too many of his books. To be fair though, when you've put out as much work as this guy has, some of it is going to be bad or at least not resonate with the reader like previous works did.

I don't care about Roland dancing, I poo poo on it for Dr Doom and Lightsabers and the loving Golden Snitch. I didn't read any of his stuff that was published after that and I'm not going to. gently caress you right back, Mr King.

On a side note, I think he's got pretty excellent taste in fiction and when I pick up a book that he has praised I'm virtually certain to enjoy the hell out of that book.

Ballsworthy
Apr 30, 2008

yup

muscles like this? posted:

When I got to the Dr Doom and Harry Potter talk I literally said "what the gently caress?" out loud. The last books really suffered because he felt like he was forced to write them instead of just writing when he had the story in his head.

The worst part is that it's just a ripoff of Heinlein's World-As-Myth bullshit, which sucked the first time around.

Actually, that's kind of interesting, because I finally decided Heinlein had gone completely off the deep end when Laz started rubbing shoulders (and god knows what else) with John Carter of Mars.

Ballsworthy
Apr 30, 2008

yup

Hennergy posted:

Short story was great, and the movie was good, certainly one of the best King adaptations - though for the most part that's not saying much.

Well, it's no Maximum Overdrive...

Ballsworthy
Apr 30, 2008

yup

Dr. Mulholland posted:

Not really a novel but I loving hated The Sun Dog.

Goes back to my earlier point. "Hmm, what hasn't been haunted yet? Oh poo poo, look at this loving camera, I bet it's loving haunted, yeah!" And I still think the Sun Dog's better than that other bullshit from Four After Midnight, killing a monster with loving RED VINES. Even when I was twelve I was disappointed by that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ballsworthy
Apr 30, 2008

yup

Ghidzilla posted:

What about a least favorite short story? Anyone have one?

Of the ones I've read of his, I think I hated Jerusalem's Lot, from his Night Shift collection. Very disjointed and very hard to read, very dissapointing as I was expecting vampires and got a giant earthworm instead.

Not my least favorite favorite, because there are some things I kinda like about it, but Crouch End pisses me off a bit. Plenty of people have written Cthulhu-mythos stuff that I enjoyed, but Crouch End feels like one of those 90s jazz-hop tunes where the lyrics are basically a long list of dead jazz musicians. Also seems like there's a certain amount of "Look how much I know about London!" going on.