Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Foppish
Jun 26, 2008

Just put it in the microwave, Dave.
Man, Dreamcatcher was good in my opinion. I also realize no one else agrees with me on that. The reason I liked it was (and my memory is hazy so I might have these details wrong) because...

a. these guys ended up having to go through this horrible ordeal in a place (the cabin) that was really special to at least some of them. I can't imagine dealing with that kind of poo poo in a place you used to go to as a child.

b. this place that was so special to them as children was warped in the process by being covered in that rust.

c. how the two groups of friends never saw all of each other alive together after they split up (two to go get beer and two staying in the cabin) was pretty rough.

Now there has been a lot of ire directed at the idea of a poo poo weasel...but cmon, the thought of something with razor sharp teeth gestating in your colon is horrifying as hell! Moreso than a haunted camera at least. Either way, I enjoyed it, I realize most people didn't-maybe I was too young when I read it, but having 3 other really close friends at the time, it really struck a chord with me to see them split up like that.

As for short stories, The Mist is excellent, as is TLW...my only complaint being that it drags a little at the end (although that kind of works for it because the walk wouldn't seem very long if the story wrapped up nice and quickly). The Running Man was amazing...seeing that filmed in a fashion true to the book would be great and Graduation Afternoon was cool for a quick look at a hosed up afternoon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foppish
Jun 26, 2008

Hey man don't go off on all of us haha, I was nothing but sunshine...and according to TBB it takes a lot of sunshine to say you liked Dreamcatcher.

Foppish
Jun 26, 2008

cycowolf posted:

In other news I have completely given up on Just After Sunset. I hate not finishing a book but there are other things I actually want to read.

If I recall correctly Just After Sunset's standouts (in my opinion) were N, A Tight Spot, Graduation Afternoon and possibly The Things They Left Behind (not great but nice). N was the most interesting story to me, and Graduation Afternoon was so quick and vivid that I think it'd be stupid to skip it (like passing on taking a look at an interesting photograph because you don't have the time). While GA isn't some earthshattering revelation in the world of King, it's length-entertainment ratio is pretty good.

Foppish
Jun 26, 2008

Stentorian Longing posted:

Everything's Eventual

My reccolecion of EE is pretty fuzzy but I just remember not liking the story about the kid who writes letter that kill people and I hated the Gotham Cafe story after I heard the audio book version with King making that Eeeeee! sound...the book version was really good though.

Who knows, you've got me interested in rereading it, maybe I'll like it better this time, I did read it at a rough time in my life so that could be why I didn't like it.

I can't recall particular stories I liked but I DO remember falling in love with Skeleton Crew and Graveyard Shift back in high school.

Foppish
Jun 26, 2008

The Ten O'Clock People WAS awesome...honestly Skeleton Crew and Night Shift have to be my most fondly remembered, if not favorite. Novels are great but the bang to buck ratio of a well written collection of short stories is just too great to be ignored. A story should leave the reader with ideas to think about and expand on in their own mind and I really believe that King's short stories do this exceptionally well in most cases.

Anyways, I guess I'm starting to repeat myself.

EDIT: From the future.

Foppish fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Jun 17, 2009

Foppish
Jun 26, 2008

-abe- posted:

:eng101:

You got the wrong thread man.

Foppish
Jun 26, 2008

Hennergy posted:

Yeah, I think those work on the same level as The Jaunt. It's whats implied rather than said that makes them terrifying.

That's what was so good about The Mist (the uncertainty), and what the film lost with it's truck-wide holocaust ending. I'm still genuinely surprised that King liked that ending.

Foppish
Jun 26, 2008

racecardriver posted:

I think the whole point of "The Mist" was that you should never lose hope, even in situations of uncertainty. Both the movie and the novella carried that message, just in different ways.

It is pretty astounding that the print version of the mist says something along the lines of "we didn't drive out of the mist, the National Guard didn't come to the rescue... and then the movie basically went and changed the ending to just that but after thinking about it, the movie ending could really be looked at as a continuation of the book, taking place after Drayton kisses his son and they head off towards Hartford.

That's really depressing though, and I liked it better when the "won't you see a lady home" woman was dead.

The movie was really great and all but the book will always be better to me-which is saying a lot.

Foppish
Jun 26, 2008

ShawnWilkesBooth posted:

The ending to the movie was incredibly awesome. It's so rare you see a good "gently caress you audience" ending.

But it wasn't...it was just a lazy shock ending and it cheapened the whole "Mist" scenario. Opened the gates of Hell/a portal to another dimension? No worries, the local militia will come by with flame throwers and take care of that demon infestation. :)

Not to derail too much but I always wondered what happened to the rest of the world. Where did the Mist stop? If it didn't stop how did areas far away deal with the encroaching fog? After all, news of it would have spread and weather agencies would have picked it up via satelite. Were certain areas able to "dig in" and protect themselves?

I'd love to read some well written expansions on that story...

Foppish
Jun 26, 2008

fishmech posted:

They don't specifically say in the story, but we're able to tell where the mist reaches because areas within it seem to no longer be able to run radio broadcasts. The story mentions first the Bangor radio stations and then the stations down to Boston no longer broadcasting. However, when the main character runs out of gas and stops at a hotel at the New Hampshire/Maine border or somewhere around there, he hears a radio broadcast from Hartford, CT, which would seem to indicate the mist stopped somewhere south of Boston and north of Hartford.

And that's why the last line of the story is "One (word) is Hartford. The other is hope."

Right, but they just say that the signal *somehow* got through, if it was a signal at all and not just him imagining things. I took that to mean that where ever the signal was coming from was "misted over" as well and managed to squeek through by some unlikely shifting of the mist and that it was likely someone else, marooned, trying to call out, although I can see your side of it as well.

Anyways, yeah I guess demon is the wrong word for the creatures-they're definitely mortal and the story goes a long ways in making them fallible (relying heavily on a highly attuned sense of smell, low intellingence, very much killable) but still, that doesn't account for the larger creatures the Nat'l Guard is assumed to have defeated in the movie rendition (tentacle horror, Goliath and the Giant Crab beast parked out front. It just seems like a quick fix.

Either way, I didn't mean for this derail to turn into an argument about what ending is "correct" as the movie ending could easily take place after the end of the book...I just think it is a great story because of the amount of speculation the ending invites the reader to take part in.

As to it just being a cheap shock-that's just me I guess, the original "cliff hanger" (if you want to call it that) seems more hopeless despite the last word being "hope". I always liked the thought that the mist was permanent, or if not permanent at least world changing.

I'd never heard about The Mist being the event that ushers in the world of the Gunslinger, but if so that's pretty neat.

Foppish fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jun 19, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foppish
Jun 26, 2008

I think what you can take from this thread is that with the exception of a very few stores (The Dark Half), pretty much every Stephen King Story is worth giving a shot. Almost every one of his books has at least one fan here which, in my opinion, speaks pretty highly of him as a writer. It's obvious that he's "mass market" but he's leaps and bounds above Koontz, Cussler, and most other mass market guys out there.