Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Christine is also in The Stand, as I recall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Edwardian posted:

I didn't care for Song of Susannah, but I did enjoy the rest of the Dark Tower series. I may be in the minority that really enjoyed Wolves of the Calla.

I can honestly say that the ending of the whole series...fit. It may not have been likeable, but the ending was appropriate and I can't imagine it ending any other way.

Yeah, I'll also come out and say that I really liked Wolves of the Calla, also. I will actually say that it's my third favorite of the series, after Gunslinger and The Waste Lands. The Dark Tower would be my fourth.

I honestly don't see why the ending gets the flak it does. I thought it was reasonably clever and as good/original an ending as a series like The Dark Tower could get, and I can't really imagine any other ending that would have been better, or even really been good. I mean, people who dislike the ending: what would you want to see instead? It ending with Susannah meeting Eddie and Jake? Ending with Roland just entering the tower, or wandering off into the sunset? I'm not trying to sound snarky, I'm genuinely curious as to what people were hoping for/would have liked.

Also...while I don't really want to go so far as to defend Song of Susannah, I will say that I didn't think it was really "bad" so much as just really boring and redundant. There's a lot of other stuff in this thread that's a lot worse than anything in Song of Susannah.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Supreme Allah posted:

Finished Under the Dome. It was pretty good outside of the dialogue of the kids.

Also re-read The Eyes of the Dragon. This is my favorite King book, and his favorite work outside of The Walk. Is it [eyes] considered a Dark Tower tie in?

There are a couple small references to it in I think the 3rd and 4th Dark Tower books. Delain is part of the alliance of kingdoms that Gilead leads, and Roland (Deschain) mentions the king from Eyes of the Dragon having killed the last dragon. I feel like there were a few others, also. Not to mention the Flagg connection.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

So they kicked out David Yates for Ben Affleck?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

muscles like this? posted:

Ben Affleck is actually a surprisingly good director so its not completely shocking. His two movies have been both critically and commercially successful.

I just thought it was odd that Yates would be taken off the project, since by all accounts he was the guy who was actually pushing for it in the first place.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I don't know if anyone else is reading the Marvel comic adaption of The Stand, but the third to last issue was just released, covering the capture of Ralph, Glenn, and Larry, their executions, and the Hand of God. In the scene where Whitney Horgan decides to challenge Flagg before the execution, the comic changes the character to instead be Richard Bachman, and is of course drawn to look like King. I don't know if anyone has the desire to see a drawing of what King would look like as a burning corpse, but if so, it's right there.

Other than that it's a pretty faithful adaption of the book, and I like it more than the Dark Tower comics. It still gets me every time I open it and the characters don't look like the TV versions, though.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Wow, I think Brian K. Vaughan is a seriously good fit for that.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

a silver spaceship posted:

Because in that universe Children of the Corn wouldn't have been in the book : either it would simply be missing, or another story that might not really exist might have been in its place. That story wouldn't have been in the book because it hadn't happened yet, they were just then living it.

I don't know, it worked in The Dark Tower.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I recall in whichever book Roland's ka-tet meets Stephen King it's pointed out that Roland and King look quite a lot alike. This bothers me a lot, because I'm pretty sure Eddie thinks he looks a lot like Clint Eastwood back in Drawing of the Three.

This always bothered me too. Although in The Gunslinger, one of the drawings shows young Roland (at the execution, I think?) and it's definitely King.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Red Dragon posted:

I'm sure that Tommyknockers (:heart:) has an origin from something else, but I'm damned if I can remember it.

I believe he intended it as an homage/update to Lovecraft's The Colour Out of Space.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Seaniqua posted:

That's good to hear, because I was thinking that would be my first book after finishing DT. Then probably The Stand. I know Dark Tower deals with a ton of Stephen King novels, but is there a short list of other books that are relevant more than tangentially that I might be interested in reading afterward?

Salem's Lot, The Stand, The Eyes of the Dragon, Insomnia, Hearts in Atlantis, and Black House are I think the main ones that tie in with The Dark Tower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Seaside Loafer posted:

Mordred was built up across 2 books then he spent most of the time nearly dieing from eating bad food before being killed in 2 pages

Anti-climatic to say the least.

And the payoff is a line describing his poo poo as something like "brown stew flooding down his pant legs". Delightful!