Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009
Lisey's Story without a doubt. I had to rally struggle to finish that book and felt amazingly relieved when it was over. Just an awful, boring book. Most of his other work is either awesome (Pet Sematary, The Stand, The Green Mile, all his short story books) or mediocre (Cell, Dreamcatcher, Bag of Bones) but poo poo, that book was awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009

cheerfullydrab posted:

I can't believe people mentioned both his obsession with bad fathers and the creepy sexual stuff without mentioning Gerald's Game. The flashbacks to her childhood in that, yech.

Good lord, yes. In regards to the sexual stuff, he seems to be amazingly preoccupied with semen. It seems I can't read a single book of his without having to suffer through a random description of jizz at some point. I don't remember which book it was, but some short story of his had a description of some woman scooping some guy's semen off of his sheets and eating it that was probably the only time a book ever made me feel nauseous. Blech.

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009

muscles like this? posted:

Bag of Bones is being turned into a 4 hour miniseries with Pierce Brosnan as the lead, Mike Noonan.

Bag of Bones probably falls right behind Lisey's Song as my least favorite King novel. Though to be fair, I loath Lisey's Song so Bag of Bones isn't all that bad by comparison. I don't really see how it could make an interesting mini series though.

Was anyone else kinda disappointed by Just After Sunset? King's short stories are usually my favorites, but damned if I can even remember what most of them were about. Something about a hosed up homicidal cat, and one about a nuke.

Edit: Wait. I just read the synopsis for Mile 81.

Do we really need a loving third haunted car book? Really? Starting to wonder if King has just flat run out of ideas or something.

I will end up reading it anyway. :smith:

spixxor fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jul 23, 2011

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009

fishmech posted:

I'd also point out that a few of the stories in Just After Sunset were ones written around the same time the stories in Night Shift were, but simply not in a King collection yet. The cat one is one of those.

See, and Night Shift is one of my favorites. Maybe I need to give it a re-read or something, it just seemed decidedly lackluster when I read it.

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009

ConfusedUs posted:

Pet Semetary is still King's scariest book, to me.

It just builds and builds, getting worse with every burial. And it's one of King's few books with an ending that works on multiple levels. There's no lengthy denouement, no sense of rushing to shear dangling plot threads, it simply ends in a fashion that both makes sense and hints at far worse things to come.

It, however, is still my favorite, closely followed by The Stand.

I'm also fond of The Tommyknockers for some reason. I know it's not one of King's best works, but I still re-read it from time to time.

I loved Tommyknockers right up until the "Oh, it's aliens." realization. I just don't find aliens scary, in book form at least.

It wasn't a bad book it just lost all ability to creep me out as soon as I knew what the scary thing was.

I agree on Pet Semetary, book scared the bejeezus out of me when I first read it as a kid. So did "The Boogeyman" from Night Shift, and Pennywise from IT.

Now I think about it King is responsible for a good chunk of childhood trauma for me. Although my mom was the one who decided to raise me on a diet of Stephen King and horror movies from roughly the age of 6, which was either awesome or terrible of her, I can't decide which.

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009

Migeman posted:

I've read a good few of them. But recently I tried reading Liseys Story, I just couldn't get into it. Got over halfway through just nothing really happened. I might try it again, but I'm not in any rush to.

Don't bother. It doesn't get any better.

Try something good, like one of his short story compilations (Night Shift, Nightmares and Dreamscapes) or Pet Semetary, IT, The Stand...christ, anything but Lisey's Story.

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009

Malaleb posted:

Or if there's a flu bug going around.

Or cell phones make everyone into homicidal lunatics.

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009
Most importantly, stay the gently caress out of Maine.

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009

Opus125 posted:

Is this the main Stephen King discussion thread? Seems kind of unfair to him for the biggest thread about him to be dedicated to discussion about his worst output or at least to have the thread title encourage as much.

Yeah, it kinda has evolved into the general Stephen King thread. Maybe we ought to get a title change?

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009

Darko posted:

I feel like such a fanboy, but, 20% or so through, I have to admit that I smiled when we returned to some of the IT kids. I got happy as soon as I found out 50s Derry was a big part of the story, and am glad I wasn't spoiled.

Same here, and I was pretty impressed that it felt natural and not shoehorned in like the self insertion in Dark Tower, given that I figured he was going to do something of the sort and was mentally cringing a bit as soon as I realized the time frame that he was visiting Derry in.

Count me as another one that was a bit unsure about the premise of the book and am now hooked.

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009
Minor non-spoilery 11/22/63 gripe. What is it with non-southerners using "y'all" incorrectly?

I mean I know it's a terrible made up contraction anyway, but still. Y'all is used when referring to more than one person, i.e "you all". You do not go up to a single person and, for instance, ask "Can I get y'all anything?" It doesn't make any sense. As a born and raised Texan I've never heard anyone use it in that fashion. It makes it even dumber than it already is.

Also "Don't Mess With Texas" did not come into being until 1986 and was certainly not around in the 50's. Dammit King, you Yankee. :argh:

Ok I'm done. Book is still awesome so far, just happened to hit my sperge button.

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I wanted to savor every page too, but it's one of those books where you start at nine in the evening, then the next thing you know it's three, you're halfway done, and gently caress, I have work tomorrow, don't I?

That was my experience, at least.

Glad I'm not the only one that does this.

*looks at clock* "Eh, I can give up another half hour of sleep. Three hours is plenty!"

At one point I was so tired that I realized I was trying to turn pages on my Kindle (as in, reaching up with my hand and kind of waving it like there was an actual page to turn) and finally gave up and went to sleep.

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009
I liked Cujo.

Lisey's Story and Dreamcatcher are probably the worst ones. For some reason, the first time I read it Dreamcatcher didn't seem that terrible. I tried to give it a reread a few days ago and gave up about a third of the way in.

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009

Creflo Chronicle posted:

You don't have to read the book if you don't want to.

That's kind of what I was thinking.

DeseretRain, if you've read all of King's other books you know you'll probably read this one too, at some point, regardless of what anyone says. Quit trying to convince yourself to read it and just come back to it when you run out of books on your to-read list.

To answer your concerns, the book's not all JFK JFK JFK, that's just the hook to the story, if you get what I mean. It's most certainly not a JFK book by Stephen King, it's just a Stephen King book with JFK in it.

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009
I wonder just how much of me reading King is just nostalgic at this point.

I mean, he hasn't actually frightened me in years, but he's one of the last authors still writing/alive from my childhood. And he did scare the poo poo out of me when I was younger.

I think 1408 (the short story, not the movie) was the last thing that really freaked me out. Was I the only one that found it really, really unsettling?

Anyway he's better then Dean Koontz. I actually cannot manage to remember which books of that man's that I've read. It's like they erase themselves from my brain the second I finish them, leaving only a vague memory of a magical dog behind.

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009
Honestly, if they're going down that road 11/22/63 was only mildly annoying compared to some of King's sex scenes. I don't think it even gave me pause, but then I do get into a certain frame of mind when reading King. (Ayuh!)

This seems to be an annual thing though, so I guess it has to be novels from that year.

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009
I feel alone in not being that crazy about 'Salems Lot. I mean, it was good, but I wouldn't rank it amount my favorite King books.

Maybe it's just my general dislike of vampires. I've just never found them that interesting as a literary or cinematic monster and don't get what thee big fascination is.

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009

Inyourbase posted:

I can't really remember any badly written teens, with the exception of any character under the age of thirty in The Stand.

I'm just curious, have you read Under the Dome?

I'm not usually too critical of a reader (at least, not with King) but the kids in that book were insufferable.

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009
I've never stopped reading a King book before I was finished, but damned if Lisey's Story didn't almost break my streak. I loving hate that book.

Smucking bad gooky. :suicide:

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009

Polygamy posted:

Teefury also had this:

I don't think I have purchased anything faster when I saw this show up on their site.

Oh my god, you mean to tell me you can only buy the shirt that is featured that day ON that day, and then it's gone forever?

I'm looking through the gallery and that is so NOT.FAIR. :negative:

Seriously though I'm bookmaking the gently caress out of the site now.

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009

Ornamented Death posted:

I'm not a big fan of manufactured scarcity.

I'm not either, and it's gimmicky as hell, but some of those shirts are awesome.

Basically the consumer in me has no scruples if it's a cool thing I want. :smith:

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009
The only thing that made Pennywise less terrifying to adult me was the realization that he was played by Tim Curry. :ohdear: Now I'm going to be staring into sewer drains again.

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009

iostream.h posted:

Christ almighty I once went to sleep listening to that, woke up in the middle of 1408 and thought I was going insane. Scared the holy poo poo out of me.

Ha ha, jesus. 1408 scared the hell out of me, I can't even imagine.

Yeah I quit reading Koontz when it got to the point that I couldn't remember what books of his I'd read and which I hadn't. You could put one in my hands at random and I'd probably be a chapter or two in before I knew. All his books just seem so loving similar. Also magical genius dogs are Koontz's version of magical retards.

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009

jackpot posted:

You're coming dangerously close to dissing the only Really Good Book that man ever wrote. Watch yourself.

Hey now, Watchers was good. And incidentally the first Koontz book I read. That and Phantoms are the only two books I can tell you for a fact I have read. And I only remember reading Phantoms because of that drat Jay and Silent Bob quote.

Too bad it was all (repetitively) downhill after that.

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009

ConfusedUs posted:

I swear I'm the only King fan who doesn't really like The Shining. I recognize that it's one of King's better works, don't get me wrong, but I don't place it at the top of the list like most people.

I like parts of the book. The hedge maze in particular is amazing. But overall, I find myself impatient with the book. I want to get past all the boring stuff to get to the awesome parts and they're just a little too far apart.

I feel the same way. There were a couple of parts that were sufficiently spooky (hedges, bathtub) but overall I found myself pretty bored. It wasn't bad the way, for instance, Lisey's Story is (gently caress that book, gently caress it forever) but yeah, not my favorite. Then again I may just be a philistine because I don't care much for 'Salem's Lot either and everyone seems to think those are his two best books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009
I've been reading King for so long that I really can't remember what my first book was...I suspect it may have been Night Shift though, because I remember being scared shitless by that Bogeyman story and being terrified of my closet for weeks.