Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

I like Eyes of the Dragon, and I also like The Dead Zone.

Kings' ending are generally the weakest parts of his books, but in these two he nailed in. Eyes of the Dragon has a proper fairytale ending, just as it should, and there is really no other way The Dead Zone could end; the sense of fate waiting to catch up with poor Johnny Smith is overwhelming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Sporadic posted:

To be fair, the synopsis for Heart-Shaped Box wasn't much better.

And trying to describe some of the short stories in 20th Century Ghosts makes you feel a little silly too "There's this little boy who's inflatable..." or "There's this kid who turns into a giant mutant cockroach...". But the stories themselves were excellent.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Taeke posted:

If you don't have children (or a young niece or nephew or something) yet, I'd suggest you give it a try again once they reach that age. Maybe you'll get an entirely different experience.

I'd second this for Pet Semetary. I read it at 14 and while it was scary, I found the playground scene in The Shining much scarier (those moving hedge animals and whatever was at the other end of the tunnel :gonk:)

I read Pet Semetary again recently, with the 6-year old niece sleeping in the next room and the part at which King describes how Gabe's life could have played out, and then slams the reader back into brutal reality paralyzed me. The grinding, bleak inevitability of it all as it leads up to the climax is masterful. It's as much a tragedy as it is a horror novel, and all the more powerful because of it.