Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

roboshit
Apr 4, 2009

Not really a novel but I loving hated The Sun Dog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roboshit
Apr 4, 2009

Bag Of Ghosts posted:

It is about a professor who receives a haunted Kindle in the mail. For those who didn't hear me: IT IS ABOUT A PROFESSOR WHO RECEIVES A HAUNTED KINDLE IN THE MAIL. And it is ten kinds of terrible. The characters literally have conversations about the Kindle's features and praise it endlessly.

I really hope this is a joke. That's terrible.

roboshit
Apr 4, 2009

"Meh" was pretty much my reaction for every story in Just After Sunset, with the exceptions of N. and A Very Tight Place. The rest are just very boring and it felt like King was forcing himself to write something.

roboshit
Apr 4, 2009

I am OK posted:

I'm surprised that so many people dislike From a Buick 8 so much. I always thought that underneath the usual horror, it was an interesting look at how our perceptions change as we grow up. I also thought that some of the prose was extremely tender.

I also liked it despite the HAUNTED CAR crap.

roboshit
Apr 4, 2009

Bag Of Ghosts posted:

"The Cat From Hell" from Just After Sunset. This is a story about a hitman who is hired by a rich dude to kill his demon-possessed cat. The hitman puts the cat in a bag (this is the stupidest thing) and drives out to the river in order to drown the cat. But the cat claws its way out of the bag and kills the hitman by burrowing down his throat. The End.

Seconding this as one of his worst short stories.

edit: god drat it I missed the edit button again

roboshit
Apr 4, 2009

northerain posted:

I agree on Sunset. Pretty flat.

The worst has to be Lisey's story though. Way too many flashbacks. I'm 250 pages in and in real world time, all she has done so far is move a box a few feet over and check her mail. The rest is flashbacks of her husband almost dying, flashbacks of the time they were dating, more death flashbacks, flashbacks of meeting her sistet for coffee, etc.

I wanted to throw the book at the wall after the 150th or so use of the word "smucking".

roboshit
Apr 4, 2009

I think he just needs to become a drug addict again.

roboshit
Apr 4, 2009

Hearts in Atlantis was great, and yeah, the title story was the best. I'm still kind of annoyed that only the first story in it was adapted for the film, they should have done a TV miniseries like The Stand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roboshit
Apr 4, 2009

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Lisey's Story would have been much better if it weren't for "smucking" :fuckoff: