Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Julia Trillard
Apr 19, 2009

YOLO CARBON PRINCESS
Lisey's Story was a chore initially but once you get past the whole pretentious made up language and get to the weird interdimensional stuff, it's not too bad.

My vote would probably go to Wizard and Glass. That entire novel could do without the whole middle section.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julia Trillard
Apr 19, 2009

YOLO CARBON PRINCESS

racecardriver posted:

Seconded. I liked the movie, though, as well. Thought it was extremely entertaining.

Definitely. Short story was great, and the movie was good, certainly one of the best King adaptations - though for the most part that's not saying much.

Julia Trillard
Apr 19, 2009

YOLO CARBON PRINCESS
I preferred the hopelessness of the originals ending. The changed ending has a little of that, but it's still like IT'S OKAY EVERYONE, THE UNSTOPPABLE MIGHT OF THE U.S. ARMY HAS DEFEATED THE MIST, IT'S OKAY (EXCEPT EVERYONE YOU LOVE IS DEAD, SORRY)

Julia Trillard
Apr 19, 2009

YOLO CARBON PRINCESS
Just After Sunset is amazing and anyone who hasn't read it should do so.

Julia Trillard
Apr 19, 2009

YOLO CARBON PRINCESS
Probably Misery.

As King himself would say, it's salami. But it is loving awesome salami and written incredibly well for a thriller story.

Julia Trillard
Apr 19, 2009

YOLO CARBON PRINCESS
I think the short story The Jaunt is one of the few texts that has actually scared me. Not necessarily from the story itself, but the implications of the story.

Floating in some dark void for trillions and trillions of years.

Julia Trillard
Apr 19, 2009

YOLO CARBON PRINCESS

Mister Kingdom posted:

I got seriously creeped out by "Mrs' Todd's Shortcut" and "Survivor Type" from the same collection.

Yeah, I think those work on the same level as The Jaunt. It's whats implied rather than said that makes them terrifying.

Julia Trillard
Apr 19, 2009

YOLO CARBON PRINCESS

Foppish posted:

That's what was so good about The Mist (the uncertainty), and what the film lost with it's truck-wide holocaust ending. I'm still genuinely surprised that King liked that ending.

I think it's interesting but takes away from the hopelessness of the original.

Julia Trillard
Apr 19, 2009

YOLO CARBON PRINCESS

ScreamingNinja posted:

(king sucks are writing realistic dialogue)

I disagree, I think he has a good grasp of language for the most part; and I find his dialogue flows naturally and well. This is most obvious in It I think.

Julia Trillard
Apr 19, 2009

YOLO CARBON PRINCESS

fishmech posted:

I used to think that the dialogue for the characters in his stories was a little unrealistic, but then I spent a summer in Maine. It's actually really neat how he captures the feel of a Maine accent in his writing without resorting to unreadable phonetic stuff for accents like some writers I could name.

And when he does write phonetically, like in Mrs Todds Shortcut it works pretty well.

Julia Trillard
Apr 19, 2009

YOLO CARBON PRINCESS

Aturaten posted:

What I'd really like to know is what people actually do not like about King's writing. Occasionally, it's slightly wooden, but I've always been under the impression that his prose was quite good.

I'm a big fan of literary fiction and pretentious stuff, but I think King writes well. I think he's one of the best authors of genre fiction around.

What grabs me most is how amazingly naturalistic his dialogue is, especially when he's writing in his Maine dialect, seeing as he's so familiar with it. He has such a knack for a realistic dialogue, and it tends to flow well.

But yeah, he does get a bit wonky when it comes to stopping the verbal diarrhea and writing a decent ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julia Trillard
Apr 19, 2009

YOLO CARBON PRINCESS

IceNiner posted:

I still have to put up "Just After Sunset" as his worst work that I've read. Always before I would get at least a few good stories out of his short collections but Sunset didn't even have one for me. Not a single story was worth the slow drudging through.

I don't think so. That one about the MURDEROUS HOBO HITMAN was pretty awesome. A Very Tight Place was also good I think because of the sickeningly vivid descriptions of the interior of the effluence tank