Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

scary ghost dog posted:

i think, if you take the Dark Tower movie on its own merits, it is bad. however, if you consider its place in the “cycle,” and its nature as a sort-of sequel-prequel to the books, as well as the way they included certain elements from every book and tightened it to a cool ninety minutes, it is still bad.

This also applies to the Assassin's Creed movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Give Frank Darabont a billion dollars and tell him, "make the biggest wankiest Dark Tower series ever".

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Yes! It's a very early King, but it's incredible.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

PurpleXVI posted:

I only remember it vaguely, I think it was included in King's book on writing, but it stuck in my mind, which I think is a sign of a really good horror story(short or otherwise): that it pops into your mind unbidden years if not decades later.

Ladyfingers

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

I'm rereading the short story now and it's marvelous. Lester Billings is so well characterized in just a few pages. What a horrible little man.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

LSoE is really good. Some solid Rolanding.

It's in Everything's Eventual, which is a great short story collection.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

drat but the man could turn a phrase when he put his mind to it.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Newer King can have a weird edge to it too. The last bit of Revival felt very old King to me.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Breadallelogram posted:

Maximum Overdrive kicks rear end.

I still think there's a good movie to be made out of Trucks. It's a really solid little apocalyptic story.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

He's also a great believer in the adage, "I know writers who use subtext and they're all cowards."

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

I really like the realistic portrayal of Bill's parents slowly drifting apart after the death of their son. There's just a big silence that keeps growing.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Little Sisters is just a side story, it doesn't add much to the main story as I recall.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

The second book is trippy, but I skip it because I want to get to the good stuff.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Insomnia is really good. It's also set in Derry!

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

afroserty posted:

Revival might be close enough to scratch the itch and it's really good.

Revival might be his bleakest work and I love it dearly.

Something happened!

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Thinnies are now battlefields.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

It's really cool that his style was basically worked out from book 2: do some nonlinearity, put a guy in a spooky town in New England, let stuff kick off.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

So it goes.

Similarly, the chapter in The Stand about all the people who survived the plague only to die from falling off a ladder or eating an expired can of tomatoes is so bleak and so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Dryland, or Cibola as it's also known