Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.

escape artist posted:

Yeah, yeah. It's the loving worst. But he was on coke and whatever else then.

He shat out the spider boner tonguing while presumably sober.

To be fair he may have been on the painkillers. I mean that doesn't justify it but I know he had a brief (?) "painkillers are great weeeee" period after what was, you know, a pretty damaging accident.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lines
Aug 18, 2013

I think he was on the booze, gave up booze, got into blow + other 80s drugs, gave up blow, stayed sober until his accident and then ended up quite dependent on opiates for a period of time, then managed to kick them again and as far as I'm aware has been sober since. But I'm not sure on the precise timescales.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

dr_rat posted:

Pretty sure he was on booze and coke at the same time at some point. Remember some story he told where he was talking about having a trash bin full of empty beer bottles and bloody tissues or some such.

Oh yeah I get the impression that when he falls off the wagon, he really goes for it.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

I decided to try it starting with the episode about The Stand and...these guys are loving dopes. Their entire episode seems to be based on a partly remembered reading from years ago, despite supposedly reading it fresh. That is when they're not conflating it with the miniseries (the "Hand of God" you whine about kind of isn't there in the text, my dudes).

Having had a kid, I have no intention of ever picking it up again, despite being one of my top 5 Kings.

Is there not a scene where the exploding bomb looks like a hand? Have I just fully hallucinated that? I haven't seen the miniseries.

Anyway yeah I like the podcast but often their opinions are bad. So it goes.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Leave posted:

Certainly no Hand of God in the text, definitely not

OK, good, that was exactly what I was remembering and now I'm less convinced I'm going doolally.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Larry thinks "huh, looks like a hand" which is quite a ways off from "a magic hand descends and jerks off a missle"

Oh is that specifically what they say? Yeah I never got that, that's just Big Brain Lit PhDs I guess.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

MNIMWA posted:

Sorry, this is getting ranty - but the last bit I have to bitch about is the gunslinger's Coda. I shouldn't have read it.

To be fair he did tell you not to.

It's interesting to re-read the (modern editions of) Gunslinger with a reading of the Coda, I'll note. I'm not sure when the text entered the current form, possibly only after 2003, but it is aware of the ending.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

MNIMWA posted:

Exactly! I should have listened. The version of the gunslinger I read was pretty old, but I'll take a look at that.

It's been a little while since I read it but there's a number of hints that indicate a) the moment where the book starts is precisely when he "resumes his quest", b) he's dimly aware of this on some level, possibly at least up until the meeting with Walter/Flagg and the Drawing.

I really like the Coda, despite it being... like on some level I wish I hadn't read it either. But he has the horn, so on some level I think we are permitted to imagine, one day, Roland happy: which is what the presence of the printing of Childe Rolande is meant to indicate I think.

It just makes you feel exhausted because you realise that everything that came before was actually just a grain of sand on the mountain at the edge of infinity. There's an episode of Doctor Who with similar vibes.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

MNIMWA posted:

It's this and I felt like as he was travelling up the tower, he was still refusing to examine his past or accept where he had failed, skipping levels, moving on when he felt himself feeling emotions too strongly..like it just didn't work as a resolution to his character, perhaps except if you can imagine the next cycle being the last and his eventual use of the horn being part of a redemptive process? I don't know

I think it isn't a resolution. The series we just read turns out to be one part of a very, very slow redemptive process. Maybe, one day, he'll reach the end of the road: but he's got very far to go until then.

You could perhaps also do a reading that he is permitted to go back further and further - clearly by having the horn at least the past can be rewritten. Perhaps his reward might be the events of Wizard and Glass's flashback panning out differently? I guess the point is we don't get to know. You know: "go, then - there are other worlds than these".

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Eason the Fifth posted:

I think that's one of King's strengths, actually -- because he's been so prolific over so many decades and a lot of his stories are set in contemporary America, he slots right in to a kind of literary American Naturalism. The weird result of that for me, though, is that his early stuff from the 70s that references like, Country Joe and the Fish feels like real history, but when he brings up Harry Potter or Game of Thrones it feels strange and out of place even though it's the same trick.

I will be honest that as a UK kid growing up in the early 00s, King was a sort of window into a mythical exotic land known as "America", to the extent that I used to think without irony "it would be cool to go to Nebraska one day".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lines
Aug 18, 2013

The poison tree.