Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Wizard and Glass could almost be read as a standalone a story. It's my favourite Dark Tower book by far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Speaking of TV shows that remind me of Stephen King books, I think the old Skeet Ulrich show Jericho has a lot in common with books like The Stand and Under The Dome. Just a huge cast of characters all thrust together for reasons outside their control. It was such a great show, I wish I could stream it somewhere.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
What's the general opinion on Under The Dome? I read it when it first came out and enjoyed it. Then I read it again in 2012 or so and didn't enjoy it as much. The villains are cartoonishly evil with no greater scope. IIRC they even wear badges later in the book identifying them as bad guys. Plus that ending was pretty poor and comes out of nowhere despite the 400+ pages of build.

I hold some nostalgia for it so I'm interested in reading it a third time to see if my opinion has changed.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Read the books in order, unless you find The Gunslinger too difficult, in which case do what I did and go straight to Drawing of the Three and go back to Gunslinger whenever you feel like you might understand it better. It's odd that it took me Drawing of the Three, The Wastelands and Wizard and Glass to serve as a primer to get into The Gunslinger but hey.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
I have just downloaded Salem's Lot on MP3 and look forward to enjoying it on my long commute. I consider myself a big fan of King but have never read this one. I'm only really familiar with it because of Dark Tower.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Finished Salem's Lot. One of the creepiest parts was describing where and how the vampires sleep. The two brothers sleeping inside a barn in a pile of hay, or Eva's basement with the stairs knife booby trap. All the vampires crammed in around their master Barlow. It all just felt so gross.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
What was Merlin supposed to be in Wind Through The Keyhole? He's like a giant Tiger imprisoned by Walter? But isn't Merlin supposed to be the father of the Crimson King in the backstory? Or am I confusing different canons? Are the comics canon? I forget if Merlin is even mentioned in SoS or DT.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
There's a definite shift in tone between Wizard And Glass and Wolves of the Calla. I can't quite explain it but the later books seemed like King was trying to make his writing "too clever" instead of just straight up telling the story the way books 2, 3 and 4 do.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013

Dapper_Swindler posted:

To me misery is one of the few books where the movie is better. It’s still a very solid book but it just kinda rambles about withdrawal for a lot of the run time, which is interesting but it doesn’t have the same click the movie does.

Agreed, I attempted it once and couldn't get past all the inner anguish about withdrawal. I gave up reading it because it wasn't very interesting. Plus I'd seen the film.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013

Teach posted:

Just finished re-reading 'Salem's Lot - the first time I've read it in twenty years? I enjoyed it greatly for the usual reasons (retelling Dracula myth, the Lot as a character, small-town life). But this bit stood out and made me laugh, from near the end.

That made me laugh too.

I enjoyed Salem's Lot because the vampires are really traditional; no reflection, hate crosses, sunlight kills them, grow fangs when they turn, leave fang marks in necks,need to be invited into buildings, etc. Maybe it's the past 20 years of vampire fiction trying to make it "realistic" but OG vampires was actually quite a refreshing listen.

I didn't like how a couple of times they began referencing that they were literally playing out the events of Dracula. Ben and somebody talk about how Matt reminds them of Van Helsing at one point and I thought it was too on the nose. Plus, and I know this was intentional, Barlow ended up being quite underwhelming. Him turning randos like the dumpster guy and the affair guy midway through the story left me a bit disappointed. I expected some kind of final villain reveal. I was much more creeped out by his letter to the Scooby gang when they invade the Marsten house, it was chilling.

Overall, it was still a fantastic read/listen. It's a very basic story but King is so good at making me care about minor characters (RIP Weasel) and the world in which they live, I was genuinely sad during the last couple of chapters where he described what Salem's Lot had become. All the minor characters getting devoured by vampires after the heroes had killed Barlow and fled was really sad.

I'm a big fan of the Evolution of Horror podcast and they've recently done a series on Vampire films. I have the Salem's Lot episode ready to go but I'm gonna try and wait and watch the film before giving it a listen. They'll be talking about the film rather than the book. I haven't seen the film and I know there's a bunch of differences in the adaptation. I'd recommend the Evolution of Horror podcast to anybody though, it's fantastic.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
I can't remember but what is the significance of Roland starting from the beginning of his journey with the Horn of Eld? What was it about this that meant his quest would be different this time? I forget what the horn was used for in the first place. Did he lose it at Jericho Hill?

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
For anybody subscribing to Spotify Premium, there's a bunch of audiobooks available for free now. I'm giving Wizard and Glass a listen because I think it's my favourite King book of all time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
What's everyone's opinion on N.? Spotify premium is letting me listen to some King books I've never read/listened to before and N. is top of my list (after a Wizard & Glass rehash).