Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
The movie got ruined by Darabont's ending but was otherwise exactly the way I've always envisioned the short story in my head. The short story itself is tied for my favorite King book with the Long Walk, which Darabont is doing next/I'm kinda looking forward to because TLW can only be shot as a B movie.

Dreamcatcher/DT V-VII are by far the worst of his books - nothing he wrote before the accident is in the same league.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

The Gunslinger posted:

Darabont's ending wasn't horribly far off the mark. They were sitting around in a hotel room running out of supplies without any hope, their car had run out of gas and they could still hear the massive things walking around outside. The character is even contemplating suicide or something if I recall correctly.

Hennergy posted:

I preferred the hopelessness of the originals ending.
Have you guys reread The Mist recently?

One word is Hartford. The other is hope.

I mean, yeah, it's not a happy ending by any means, but it's not the total pit of despair that you're making it out to be. (Okay, pretty close. But the point was that we don't know what happened.)

I did read King's comments, and it's hard to disagree with the story's author, but let's just say I do and leave it at that :)

Adar fucked around with this message at 17:22 on May 8, 2009

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

The Gunslinger posted:

Yeah there was that but without any way of getting there well...
They had another hundred miles' worth of gas

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Ghidzilla posted:

Has anyone read 'The Plant'? The idea of a vampire plant is appealing, but I imagine King hosed it up somehow.
Didn't King *never finish this*? When I last saw any mention of this book years ago, he didn't get enough people to donate money for more chapters so he just stopped writing it, screwing everyone who did donate in the process.

It's good that you jogged my memory on that because, if true, it's really gotta qualify for the title just by virtue of being such a hilarious trainwreck.