Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
King sure loves him some foreshadowing. "It was the last time that XXX saw YYY alive" shows up at least once a novel. I just read one in Needful Things this morning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
I think the ultimate Kingism has to be

code:
      oh gently caress

the indented italicized internal thoughts of the character that happen mid-sentence. I don't think I've seen it elsewhere.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
More about Needful Things

It also helps at the end when you realize that Gaunt is not completely omniscient and can screw up. I also liked the fact that nothing he sold was what it appeared, including the shop itself, and the whole thing was, as King uses in other books, glamour.

Speaking of Castle Rock, last night I read "It Grows on You" from Nightmares and Dreamscapes. That's a big WTF there. I need to re-read it again tonight as I totally didn't get (according to wiki) that the new wings added seem to be connected to the deaths of men who, as boys, were molested by the house owner's wife.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat

Ozmaugh posted:

I'm skipping a lot of paragraphs as I go along. There's so much that just doesn't need to be here and isn't remotely interesting.

And I'm having difficulty imagining that readers in the 80s found Richie palatable- I know he's always supposed to be over-the-top annoying but the dash of racism is what makes it intolerable.

I'M NOT RACIST CHILLUNS! LAWS NO! I DON'T KNOW NOTHIN BOUT BIRTHIN NO BABIES!

I've always seen it as a sign of the times. What I liked is that the dash of racism is always good natured and not mean by the standards of the times. He's just too much of a nice guy to see it as anything but another voice, much like the irish cop or the southern gentlemen.

I see it somewhat akin to when I was in school and straight guys tried to sound gay by talking with a lisp. Sure, some would do it to hurt but others would just do it for a laugh without realizing that it could be hurtful.

Canuckistan fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Feb 10, 2012

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
quote is not edit!

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
Speaking of King characters, would you consider the Henry character in Black House to be a Mary-Sue? He seems too perfect to be anything but a character.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
What? No, it was purely voluntary. They went into a recruitment centre and signed up. I remember one fellow going in on a lark and putting in joke answers for everything yet he still got selected. They had up to 24 hours before the Walk to excuse themselves.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat

Polpoto posted:

Wow, wrong thread. Sorry for being a retard.

Are you magical?

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
I think I'd add Tommyknockers to that list. Extra-terrestrial sure but not it's not supernatural. Plus extra points for totally being the product of a coke and booze binge.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat

Kingnothing posted:

Cell is alright. From a Buick 8 is one of his worst.

Hells no. I loved From a Buick 8. I love the vague/mysterious nature of the story. The fact that you never learn WTF the car is or why it's there adds to the intrigue.

Cell was OK and worth a read once but I've no need to re-read it again, whereas I've read Buick 8 three or four times. Duma Key was good. Rose Madder was meh.

Post your most re-read King books:

The Stand
The Waste Lands
IT

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat

SuitcoatAvenger posted:

From A Buick 8 is an underrated novel. The use of dual timelines is a nice framing device, just from a writing perspective. Secondly, it evokes a sense of otherworldly, Lovecraftian-horror, which is when King is operating at his absolute best. Little things, like the mysterious driver, the wheel of the car being too large? They work. They put the reader into a sense of unease. Someone else mentioned the practicality. That too is a significant factor. The characters act as cops: they investigate. When they don't find satisfying answers, they protect. It speaks to that "old boy" mentality of that kind of work (my grandfather was head of homicide in his department and Buick 8 just smacks of his old stories). I've read pretty much every King novel out there, and hold the man in high regard. That being said, I recognize his faults. From A Buick 8, in some ways, feels kind of like a "lost" novel, during his big idea and cocaine heydey. This ain't Under The Dome or Cell, it ain't after all.

Ayuh.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
I thought it was Bango Skank.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
I don't think The Dark Tower comics have been discussed here much. Has anyone read them? From the wiki they seem to have some good story lines.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat

Drimble Wedge posted:

As for the Dark Tower trilogy, I hated the Susannah character all the way through. I never figured out why Eddie fell so deeply in love with her other than the bond of shared experiences.

Ka

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat

A Terrible Person posted:

In The Talisman, Travelin' Jack is menaced by a were-thing that is previously noted for having a club-like penis.

Also the fitting room guy that offers to blow him.. when he was like 12.. yech..

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
So I'm reading NOS4A2 and at 1/3 through it's not bad. I'm enjoying it.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
Who's to say that the Dreamcatcher world is in the same where as the Derry in IT?

Different worlds/levels of the tower and all that.

In other words don't expect perfect continuity because a wizard did it.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat

tliil posted:

Bullshit, there's always hope.

There's no hope but Mount Hope.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
The Tunnel todash monster/centipede sequence found in book 7. Great pacing and very suspenseful, even if the characters had plot armour and would be fine.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat

Kingnothing posted:

So I read The Long Walk because everyone here went on about it.

For the most part it was fantastic. The time went slow and it really felt like you were along with them the entire time. It was always so tense. When it comes to the last 9 or so, it felt so rushed. Time moved way to quickly and those last few people died with less written about them than almost everyone else who died. It only lasted like 25-30 pages, when it should have been the longest part of the book. The whole ending in general just felt rushed and thrown together and made a really disappointing end to an otherwise amazing book.

I think that's the point. Garraty was much more alive and vibrant at the first and the writing reflects that. At the end Garraty is essentially a walking corpse and doesn't really notice or care what happens to the others.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Isn't there a scene in the book where a Derry woman is in the kitchen, and she can hear the voices of the town's dead children talking to her, but she ignores it? Or am I remembering it wrong? I have only a vague memory of that particular bit. If so, that just reinforces the allegory of the whole thing. Hearing kids suffering or whatever or experiencing dread and ignoring all your natural instincts to do something about it.

A question I've always had is why is it this generation of kids are so different and decide/able to fight back? Were they just chosen by the Turtle or was there another reason? Perhaps growing up watching monster movies made them desensitized to monsters and they could see past the makeup of Pennywise and see the real monster underneath?

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat

Ugly In The Morning posted:

someone talks about having a fully automatic Colt .45 from WW II, and someone else has a .22 Glock Pistol. . I don't want to sound like I'm nitpicking, though, at this point looking for his weird gun stuff is like a tradition for me.

Meh, it's easy to wank these things away with a simple "different level of the tower". Maybe Dan likes to have Nozz-a-la with his red rum.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Did anyone see the Dolan's Caddilac movie? Was it any good?

It wasn't terrible. Worth a watch, especially if you're a King fan and you can pick out the easter eggs.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
I think this novel is the first that directly ties the Shining to the DT universe through the mention of the antagonist in NOS4A2, though Joe Hill says the references to his father's work is 'just fooling around' and not meant to be canon. I wonder if this the mention back is King keeping the joke going or if it's meant to be canon.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat

3Romeo posted:

That said, when it nosedives, it doesn't gently caress around; it goes from sex to sticking your dick in a blender in record time.

OK that's funny right there.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
My rankings:

- The Talisman - excellent. Wolf! Right here and now!
- Insomnia - good, but I seem to be in the minority around here who like it.
- Four Past Midnight - two good, two not-so-good stories.
- Dolores Claiborne - Not bad but it's not one I'll reread anytime soon. Still worth a read!

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
Eyes of the Dragon was my first King book and it was great when I was 12. Now not so much.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat

oldpainless posted:

Frannie was a loving terrible character and I pretty much skip the parts of The Stand where she plays a big role.

Honestly the only parts I seem to go back and read are Flagg's, Harold after he turns and Trashcan Man.

The first quarter, minus the Frannie chapters, is my favorite part of the book. No great loss...

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat

amuayse posted:

How was Wind Through the Keyhole?

Loved it. King needs to do more of these. I wonder if Starkblast is a Game of Thrones reference.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat

Stroth posted:

"so far nothing is happening but I'm not bored." is the most accurate review of Joyland I've ever seen.

I think this applies to "A Buick 8" and "Insomnia" as well. I enjoyed both greatly.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat

kaworu posted:

Every time I eat Rice Krispies, I pretend I'm a Langolier chomping through the dead remnants of space and time :pram:

This tickled me for some dumb reason. Thanks.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
My high school had a smoking door for the students back in the early 90s. They gave no shits about students smoking. I used to bum smokes off my history teacher.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
Winter has been coming for 16 loving years!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CLCOvZOh1o

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat

Medullah posted:

No van could crush GURM, it would just collapse upon itself, and would then inspire a new book that he would write about the van eating a giant meal. lemoncakes

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
Idris Elba and Matthew Mcconaughey are confirmed and the movie is a go. Interesting that they're going to start the series somewhere in the middle and fill in the backstory along the way.

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/02/29/dark-tower-rises-stephen-king-idris-elba-and-matthew-mcconaughey

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
You know, I can get behind him doing the rubba dub dub thing. We know that he's a frequent traveler to other wheres/whens and that seems like the kind of doggerel he would use. It feels cliche here but if it was used on mid-earth it would be perfectly in character. I liked The Stand mini-series overall. I still can't hear 'Don't Fear the Reaper' without thinking of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qv3gQfMgvVM&t=255s

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

For those of you working on your dissertations "Hideous Forms: Stephen King and Representations of Obesity" :hampants: I have compiled a list of horrible characters who are fat and whose size is described with the intention to repulse readers:

Can anyone think of ones I've missed? I haven't read a few of the later novels and none of DT. Can anyone think of a good fat main character/protagonist apart from Ben? Sheriff Bannerman in TDZ is definitely a goody but only a minor character.

The preacher woman Sylvia Pittston in The Gunslinger. Whole lotta woman there. Then Roland gets his chubby chaser freak flag flying but decides to give her a revolver abortion. :wtf:

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat

Medullah posted:

I don't think too many people have problems with the actual ending, the problems lie with King warning readers not to continue, and before that the half rear end Crimson King showdown

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat

ConfusedUs posted:

I'm almost done with my third read of 11-22-63. I read it twice when it came out, and I'm almost through it again.

I think this may be King's best book. Not just the best since his accident. No, that is without doubt.

I mean out of all of them.

I just reread it again. The part where he creams the nosy busybody is the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
It has to mean exactly what we think it means.

Last time around the horn was left behind. This time around the horn will be blown.. Like my mind.