Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

While I hated Cell I have to say the worst is probably Lisey's Story because it was so bad that I couldn't even read it. I got through maybe one chapter before deciding that it sucked and taking it back to the library. I think its the only King novel that I've never been able to at least finish even if I didn't really like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Hey, no matter how bad Dreamcatcher was it wasn't as bad as the movie where THE RETARD TURNS INTO AN ALIEN.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Ballsworthy posted:

I don't care about Roland dancing, I poo poo on it for Dr Doom and Lightsabers and the loving Golden Snitch. I didn't read any of his stuff that was published after that and I'm not going to. gently caress you right back, Mr King.

When I got to the Dr Doom and Harry Potter talk I literally said "what the gently caress?" out loud. The last books really suffered because he felt like he was forced to write them instead of just writing when he had the story in his head.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

ConfusedUs posted:

Duma Key is rad. You're missing out.

ehhhhhhhhh

I didn't like the main character who was a rich older gentleman who was recovering from a traumatic accident. Gee, I wonder where you got the inspiration for that Steve?

I know the car accident was pretty horrible for him but he just keeps on writing about it and I'm getting tired of it overshadowing his stories.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Another Just After Sunset clunker is the one about the guy who's a mystery writer and he becomes some kind of ultimate bad-rear end like his pseudonym when he finds a guy beating up his girlfriend at a public restroom. It was basically The Dark Half redux.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Wizard and Glass is a bad book because it kills the pace of the story and is the first to really flesh out Roland's world thus removing some of the mystery of it. King also started his ruining of Roland by going through his past. The only part of Roland's past we should have ever seen was in The Gunslinger where you read about his test of manhood. A character with a "mysterious past" is much more interesting.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

little green jewel posted:

"Survivor Type" was the one in which the guy ends up shipwrecked with nothing but heroin and a journal and writes about cannibalizing himself, isn't it? If so, it creeped me out so badly I had a hard time finishing it.

Yeah, its one of King's most disturbing works. Especially as it doesn't involve the supernatural at all so there's no real suspension of belief in the horror.

It does suffer the same problem of most first person journal horror though in that by the end you're wondering why he's still writing in the journal when everything's gone to hell.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The most annoying part of Black House was the end which very unsubtly hints that Jack would be involved in the quest for the Dark Tower and whoops! Nothing doing!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Local Group Bus posted:

Also, you need both The Talisman and Black House.

The relevant information in Black House is repeated elsewhere and it just sets you up for disappointment as Jack never shows up in The Dark Tower proper.

Although The Talisman should still be read as its just a good book overall.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Astfgl posted:

I've never really understood all the Regulators/Desperation hate. I like both novels, and I think they're fairly unique in terms of concept and execution. Granted, Regulators is the weaker of the two, but they're both better than a lot of other books King wrote.

I liked Desperation but The Regulators just felt too "cheesy."

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Chamberk posted:

This IS the normal King thread.

Planning to go by a Wal-Mart on Tuesday and grab a copy. Can't beat 9 bucks.

I thought the $9 was only for walmart.com? Not instore.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

madprocess posted:

Question: when will an audiobook version of Under the Dome be out? Call me crazy but I really love hearing audio versions of King's books after I read the text.

Just looked on Amazon and they had it as tomorrow as well. I'm glad this thread pointed out the whole pre-order thing because the price is up to around what you'd get in a bookstore new. (about $18)

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

cheerfullydrab posted:

"The End of the Whole Mess" from Nightmares and Dreamscapes.

This was also turned into a TV movie (well hour long) a while back for TNT. They did a couple of his short stories and man were they crappy. This one was pretty good though.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Does anybody else think the whole "demon baby" thing wasn't what he originally planned? There's no hint that there's something wrong with the pregnancy until The Wolves of Calla and that's after he's pretty much gone off the rails from what the series was, as it's the start of a whole bunch of stuff that had nothing to do with the series before like 19 and 99 and all of a sudden Roland has arthritis despite never mentioning it before.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

juliuspringle posted:

Didn't King show up in his own drat books and basically tell people don't read my other books or some poo poo?

Yeah it was really stupid that he sets all this stuff up in Insomnia, actually tells the characters about this and then decides that no it doesn't matter.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I haven't read it yet but I'm going to say the new one he just released which is about baseball or something. Simply because it's $15 and short story length.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Automatic Jack posted:

Did anyone read Blaze? I remember picking it up and then turning the last page, and nothing about what happened between those two events.

It was pretty bland. Didn't help that it was such an obvious Of Mice and Men/Lindberg baby kidnapping pastiche.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Man, I wrote this long thing about that "Blockade Billy" book King released not too long ago but it got lost in a server hiccup. Suffice to say, it sucks and would be a waste of money to buy it. If you must read it get it from your local library.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Zimadori Zinger posted:

On the first page, is the narrator seriously addressing King like King is interviewing him?

Yeah, pretty much. I'm not exactly sure why he bothered with it though since it never really plays into the narrative.

The problem with the story is that he plays up the whole mystery of what happens at the end to make people forget about what happens but when you actually get there it's completely unrealistic that it would be.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Chinook posted:

If you like that, consider "The Passage" by Justin Cronin. It had a lot of the same themes, or at least a lot of the same enjoyable themes. It's a fairly new book, though, so you probably won't find it too cheap.

Just be warned though, the book doesn't really have an "ending" per se and Cronin has come out as saying that the next book in the series isn't a direct sequel.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Rudy Riot posted:

Is Duma Key any good? The hardcover is only $7 bucks at B&N and I know nothing about it.

Ehhh, its not exactly horrible but its the story of a rich guy trying to deal with life after an accident. So, you know, it depends on how much of that you can stomach.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

King actually got his name removed from The Lawnmower Man movie since he agrees that it has absolutely nothing to do with the original short story. When I worked at a video store in 99 we actually had the old copy of the tape which still called it "Steven King's The Lawnmower Man" which a copy now doesn't say.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Wizard and Glass wasn't bad but I definitely think it was a misstep that killed any momentum that had been building throughout Drawing and Wastelands. Really didn't help that after that the series takes such a nosedive as King obviously cranks out the books just to finish them.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Seventh Arrow posted:

I also just finished reading The Stand, and I gotta ask...what was the point of having the "gang of four" (Larry, Stu, etc.) go to Las Vegas at the end? There was literally no point in having them there. I mean, for their whole journey, it's being built up as a game-changing event based on a prophecy that nobody believes can fail. But yet Trashcan would've sauntered in with his pet nuke whether they were there or not. It really just seemed like they had no effect on the events that occurred at all (except maybe for Glen making Randall lose some confidence). I mean, they could've just sat at home eating Pringles for all the difference that it made.

The point of them going to Vegas was so that they could be captured and publicly executed. That way everyone in Vegas is in one place when Trash shows up with the nuke. Otherwise he wouldn't have done as much damage.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Locus posted:

What about the part where all his friends and the pet raccoon magically come back to life in another dimension and are happy together.

I never liked that part and it felt like a really empty "happy" ending since no matter how much they look like them, they aren't Eddie and Jake, at least the ones we know.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

There was also that bizarre subplot where King decided to cripple Roland even further by giving him magic arthritis out of nowhere.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Black House eventually drops that weird second person-esque narration. Until it picks it back up at the end. Also, while the book is fairly good on its own it has a problem in retrospect where it has all these Dark Tower tie-in bits that ended up having absolutely no pay off. As none of the characters or events ever cross over into the actual Dark Tower books.

Edit: For Desperation I kind of wished he had focused more on the bits about the town self-destructing.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Whargoul posted:

I remember liking Desperation, but I can't remember for the life of me how it actually ended, so it must have been pretty forgettable.

The writer fills the Tak hole with ANFO and a shotgun shell then hits it with a hammer, blowing it and himself up.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I'd suggest reading one of his older short story collections like Night Shift.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Bad news everyone, The Dark Tower adaptation is now completely stalled as Universal has passed on backing it.

http://www.deadline.com/2011/07/universal-wont-scale-stephen-kings-the-dark-tower-studio-declines-to-make-ambitious-trilogy-and-tv-series/

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Bag of Bones is being turned into a 4 hour miniseries with Pierce Brosnan as the lead, Mike Noonan.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Turns out that 11/22/63 is already optioned and is in the planning stages to be made into a movie by Jonathan Demme.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

scary ghost dog posted:

Hold on. What? Jonathan Demme?

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/stephen-king-jfk-jonathan-demme-222328

Also David Yates (director of the last four Harry Potter movies) is working to turn The Stand into at least a couple of movies.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

ZoDiAC_ posted:

The book as in the Stand? Barring the usual King caveats (ending), it has some of his best work.

Demme is doing 11/22/63, King's new book out this fall about time travel and the Kennedy assassination. Yates is doing The Stand.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Philthy posted:

Wasn't Eyes of the Dragon meant for kids? I read it in middle school when it was published and really enjoyed it. I saw a first edition hardcover for sale over the past week but decided against it because it probably wouldn't hold up like the Choose Your Own Adventure books don't hold up.

While not really for "kids" I would say that Eyes of the Dragon is definitely his most "young adult" book.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Mad Hamish posted:

Leaving the bullshit self-insertion Dark Tower stuff aside, I think the worst King novels I've read were the Dark Half and the Dead Zone. I just couldn't get into them at all.

If I ever get around to forcing my way through Lisey's Story I'll probably feel the same way about it. I tried reading it a few months ago and just found it boring as gently caress.

I actually really like The Dead Zone, although I do think it has a problem at the end where he just constantly skips forward in time.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So apparently King IS writing a sequel to The Shining. Called Dr Sleep it follows a 40 year old Danny as he works as an attendant at a hospice using his powers to help people transition into death. Also there will be vampires. Pirate vampires.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Sir Prancelot posted:

Oh, well that sounds intere- what. :stare:

I'm sorry, I knew I left something out. They are PSYCHIC pirate vampires.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Lee Harvey Oswald posted:

I'm hoping that 11/22/1963 gets really cheap like Under the Dome was on Amazon when it was released.

That was just the result of a really brutal price war between Amazon and Wal Mart that neither side wanted so I doubt it will happen again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Chairman Capone posted:

So they kicked out David Yates for Ben Affleck?

Ben Affleck is actually a surprisingly good director so its not completely shocking. His two movies have been both critically and commercially successful.