Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

deoju posted:

That sounds really cool.

some guy bestowing knowledge upon someone about a hidden portal to a different world on their property sounds really similar to 11/22/63. Plot might be slightly different with save world from good/evil battle instead of kill baddy in the past so good guy can survive.

I'll read it regardless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Last Celebration posted:

Only 14% through 11/22/63 but having a complete outsider’s perspective on Derry and not just adolescents’ or adults who spent a chunk of their childhood does more to sell Derry’s creepiness/unpleasantness than It did. Like yeah, It is probably my favorite King book but it’s easy to just not realize that Derry has an aura of fundamental unpleasantness even when It’s in it’s early stages of hibernation.

The eeriness and evil that infests Derry and the impact it has on it’s inhabitants was really one my favorite things about that book.

Crossovers and/or references to other works are things I really enjoy in all of his works. Loved the men in yellow coats from Hearts in Atlantis for that as well.

Currently reading The Institute and I’m struggling to get through. I’m not that far in but I liked the start of the book better then what appears to be the main story line. Altough I’m sure they’ll intersect somewhere.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Not sure why Dreamcatcher gets all this hate, I devoured that book.

Sure it’s completely over the top and post accodent King was probably high as a kite while writing it but I loved it regardless.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Finally finished The Institute after leaving it for about half a year. Turned out to be a lot better after the stale part of describing daily life at the institute itself. Big Stranger Things vibes, not sure what came first but I wouldn’t be surprised if one influenced the other.

Dove straight into The Stand and devouring it. Loved the introduction of Randall Flagg. Can’t wait how this will turn out.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Halfway through The Stand right now and it feels like I’m just getting started.

Absolutely love the character building and the way the book is structured and switches viewpoints.

Not a big fan of the chapters becoming longer and longer though. I like to read from chapter to chapter and with them being 50+ pages it’s impossible not to have to lay it down somewhere half way.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

What did y’all think about the Rose Red mini series? I really liked it back in the day and it set me back on the path of starting to read more King again.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

I’ve never read The Shining or seen the movie, really need to put it on my reading list.

Almost done with The Stand. I agree that the first half about the spread of Captain Tripps and how to survive in a free for all world was much more of a page turner than the second half.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

BiggerBoat posted:

Salem's Lot is loving great and, even though it's one of his earliest books, I only got around to reading it like 4 years ago. It did not disappoint. I'd like to see it get the Netflix treatment like Gerald's Game and 1922

How’s the 1922 movie? I only read the story last year, probably my second favorite story in Full Dark, No Stars but it’s hard to pick a favorite since all of them were really good (and dark).

Salem’s Lot is probably still my all time Kijg favorite. One of the few books that has ever seriously creeped me out.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Every story in FDNS has that sinister feeling almost the entire time and all of them take a really dark turn. Certainly on the short list of best King books for me.

All 4 of them are great and I couldn't pick one over the other even if I wanted to.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Khizan posted:

King is really good at that whole slice of life thing in the 50's and 60's. It's part of why IT, Revival, The Body, and 11-22-63 are all so good.

I also really enjoyed Joyland for the same reason. I don’t recall hearing anything about that book and that’s a shame.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

I like Flanagans work but never got The Dark Tower vibe. I read 3 or 4 books but never found any of them really entertaining.

I recall it mostly as one big snoozefest but at this point I hardly remember anything about it. Roland and Blaine are basically the only characters I can name from the top of my head.

Might give it another go some day, maybe if/when this new serie turns out to be good.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Having finally finished The Stand I must say the end of Flaggs side was a bit of a letdown. Already felt the lack of an epic showdown coming as the remaining pages kept shrinking while the plot was crawling forward

Now I need to think about which one’s next, Revival, The Dead Zone, IT or Firestarter. After The Stand my gut says go for a quick/short one first.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Appreciate the recs. The ones I mentioned are the ones I already have laying around. Already read Joyland, which happens to be one of my favorite short(er) stories.

I was leaning to Revival as it’s the shortest of the 4, but The Dead Zone doesn’t have that many more pages I think. Maybe I can finish both during the holiday season.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Decided to go with Revival first and finished it just before new year. Started out a bit slow but it was difficult to put the book down once the story started picking up. The carny part gave me the Joyland vibe which was nice. It even got a 1 line reference somewhere.

Picked up The Dead Zone on Jan 1st as per thread rec. about a quarter in now and can’t say it dissapoints so far.

I’ve gotten a few new books (The Talisman, The Shinin, Fairy Tale and Insomnia) for the holidays so I’m set for a whole year of reading King.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Finished The Dead Zone last night. Compelling story telling and allround great read. Takes a while before you realize how the story lines are connected and at the end you can cleary see an early inspiration for 11/22/63

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

About 100 pages into The Shining and the alcoholic abusive behaviour of Jack is disturbing me more than any other book I’ve read. To a level where it’s difficult to read even.

I love his dark stories, but this hits different for some reason.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

NikkolasKing posted:

Do you find Book Jack to be an unsympathetic character?

I’ve only just started but so far I’m seeing an alcoholic child abuser with a temper issue. Haven’t been able to find much anything to make him seem sympathethic yet.

Oh yeah, I haven’t ever seen the movie either. Basically going in entirely blind besides knowing Jack will go crazy at one point.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Finished The Shining and it’s easy to see why everyone loves it. Might watch the movie somewhere soon as well. Curious to see how those scenes play out in pictures.

Fairy Tale is up next.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

RandolphCarter posted:

The ending of Revival has stuck with me more clearly than any other King ending.

Same, it came completely out of the left field.

Very strong book from start to finish.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Late to chime in but fully agree with the Revival rec.

I’m still working my way through Fairy Tale. Things are getting interesting but I’m not picking it up every chance I get (which was the case when reading Revival).

Also went to see The Boogeyman in theater yesterday. Definitely felt like a King movie. Really enjoyed, but that might also be because I haven’t seen a horror movie in a cinema in over 2 decades. Sound effects were especially well done.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Also just finished Fairy Tale. Not one of the best works but solid allround. I liked the closure on the side characters and as mentioned the fact that he did have to explain a few months of absence.

Really felt like a fairy tale and not a LOTR / fantasy rip off.

Started with It now.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

BiggerBoat posted:

I never read any Dark Tower books since I tend to dislike westerns, as well as most sci fi. Nothing I really learn about the series makes me want to invest time in them either but if I happen upon one of them in a book sharing box or something I might give one a shot. Can they be read individually and out of order? Do they stand alone?

I like most King books, don’t care for western and scifi either. I’ve read the first 4 DT books and can’t say I liked any of them. It’s been over a decade but I remember that I found the gunslinger incredibly boring and the one with Blaine (probably book 3 or 4) pretty longwinded.

They’re on my list to read again as I do enjoy the references in other books (like Hearts in Atlantis). So I’ll probably give it another shot one day.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Finished IT today, certainly was a ride and I can see why it’s so well liked. I loved reading all the Derry background.

One of my favorite parts in 11/22/63 was the time Jake spent in Derry (and basically what got me to finally start IT in the first place).

Now contemplating which I should pick up next. Firestarter, Insomnia, Carrie or Misery.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Insomnia it is then!

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Revival might not feel like sci fi in the traditional sense initially but it’s certainly amazing.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

deoju posted:

Salem's Lot is going directly to hbo max sometime this year.

https://www.ign.com/articles/stephen-kings-salems-theatrical-release-date-max

I'd forgotten all about it. I know Warner Brothers is in a tailspin, but a gotta wonder about the quality of a movie that's been on the shelf for 2 years and skipping theaters.

You know it's really going to suck. :drac:

Wasn’t it postponed to q2 this year initially? Too bad it’s skipping theaters altogether now. I believe King was pretty happy with what he had seen last time I read about the project.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

If you've got premium, Spotify now has the very good audiobook of From a Buick Eight that is strangely hard to find. I think it's even better than reading the printed version. It's a story made for an audio production.

How do I find this, I thought spotify only had Audiobooks and podcasts?!

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

RCarr posted:

Well it’s an audiobook… so…

Brain malfunction :aaaaa:. I meant music and podcasts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

joepinetree posted:

Keep in mind that the audiobooks are
1- only for spotify premium
2- have an monthly limit to how many hours of audiobooks you can listen to

I liked N, but it is kind of quirky, and fairly short.

I’m on a Family plan, unfortunately only the manager of the plan seems to get access to audiobooks :negative:

Same goes for a Duo plan by the looks of it.