Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cycowolf
Feb 14, 2005

Refill my prescription to whatever that thing is that makes the carpet stop turning into snakes in lieu of my coming conniption
Man you people are one fun happening bunch. I myself never liked thinner. Still I cant believe the level of hate going on in this thread. Its alot of fun to read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cycowolf
Feb 14, 2005

Refill my prescription to whatever that thing is that makes the carpet stop turning into snakes in lieu of my coming conniption

Foppish posted:

Hey man don't go off on all of us haha, I was nothing but sunshine...and according to TBB it takes a lot of sunshine to say you liked Dreamcatcher.

I too actually liked Dreamcather the book. The movie doesn't exist. I guess I don't go into his books looking for some uber deep philosophical bullshit like a certain author this forum loves that I think is a douche. Best part of Dreramcatcher was the disturbing descriptions of poo poo weasels. I do kind of wish his wife had not talked him out of changing the title.

cycowolf
Feb 14, 2005

Stentorian Longing posted:

Uh, I don't think anyone reads Stephen King looking for "deep philosophical bullshit." I don't think it's too much to ask that a book or story be at least competently written or that a plot be cohesive. Don't get all butthurt just because you're of the minority opinion on that book.

Got some sad news my friend. I could care less that people don't like it. Doesn't matter to me. I have never and will never feel bad about liking something that others don't. I'm not the one that's butthurt as you say. I do find it funny that so many people read his stuff that obviously don't like it even going into it. I think the joke might be on them.

Hell there are books by him that I don't like either. Besides Thinner I cant stand Rose Madder, Tom Gordon, Lisey's Story and so many others. I'm not angry at the man. Sometimes his stories are good and other times not. He is a author, it happens. It just doesn't seem to mortally offend me that he writes crap, the way it does others. I'm thinking you might be the one that's "butthurt", so sorry you wasted time reading something you didn't have too. I always try to keep one thing in mind when I reads his stuff, at least its not Dean Koontz.

To keep this thread on topic. Ive been reading Just after Sunset and its just kind of flat. Until now I thought Everything Eventual was his worst short story collection but I think this one is worse and I'm not even done yet. I'm having trouble just getting through it. I get bored with a story and end up setting it down for huge chunks of time.

cycowolf fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Jun 7, 2009

cycowolf
Feb 14, 2005

northerain posted:

I agree on Sunset. Pretty flat.

The worst has to be Lisey's story though. Way too many flashbacks. I'm 250 pages in and in real world time, all she has done so far is move a box a few feet over and check her mail. The rest is flashbacks of her husband almost dying, flashbacks of the time they were dating, more death flashbacks, flashbacks of meeting her sistet for coffee, etc.

Exactly why I hated that book. I read it and can't remember jack poo poo about it. Its just gone from my head.

cycowolf
Feb 14, 2005

Stentorian Longing posted:

:confused: No one else is mortally offended here, MY FRIEND. People just happen to dislike some of his books, as you do yourself. What exactly is the issue?

As for his new story in Esquire, "Morality," it's not terrible but it feels rushed, and like there are big chunks of backstory missing, stuff that would help the characters' actions make more sense.

I have no idea. I made a post saying I liked Dreamcatcher. You took that and responded that I was butthurt. If your looking for a reason I made that whole passage, look no farther then yourself. I just made a comment on thinking that maybe people expect too much from a author like him and it seemed to make you very angry. I was actually surprised when I saw your response about how you expect a competent cohesive plot in every book. In all, I think your taking this whole thread a little too serious.

In other news I have completely given up on Just After Sunset. I hate not finishing a book but there are other things I actually want to read.

cycowolf fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jun 9, 2009

cycowolf
Feb 14, 2005

Wondering if its ok to ask since this is a thread for his worst books. What is your favorite book by him? I'm curious as to the difference from one to the other. Also wondering if most people prefer the older stuff.

I want to say my favorite is still The Stand but I am not so sure about that. Might have to really think about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cycowolf
Feb 14, 2005

Looking back over the Dark Tower series I have to say Wizard in Glass was my favorite part. I can agree about the stuff with Detta. That always made me cringe when reading it. Maybe it was supposed to, but it was still just a bit too much.

I loved The talisman. I liked the follow up alright. It had some issues. I think I was a little let down that Jack never joined up with Roland. King had them cross so close and even mentioned it but it never happened. I know a few people who read the Dark Tower but not much else by King. I love telling them how many other stories connect to it. It just ends up pissing them off.