Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Women's Rights?
Nov 16, 2005

Ain't give a damn

QuentinCompson posted:

I'd say Rose Madder is his worst, but I ain't read Cell or Lisey's.

Rose Madder is excellent, you're silly.

Lisey's Story though, that was pretty drat bad.

OP can I ask what you didn't like about Cujo? It was one of his earlier works so he was still a little lacking when it came to style, but it also didn't suffer from his "Time to end the book!" mentality with his later works. It's not my favorite, but it's definitely not the worst. It's not even in the bottom ten.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Women's Rights?
Nov 16, 2005

Ain't give a damn
Okay I was thinking on this, and I got it: The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon. It is the only Stephen King book that I've only read once because it was so fuckin' dull I put it on the shelf the second I was finished with it and never looked back. I don't remember any details of the book (Girl gets lost, girl hallucinates Tom Gordon walking with her, girl kills a bear? I think?) all I remember is that I hated it when I was reading it.

Women's Rights?
Nov 16, 2005

Ain't give a damn

Deltron 3030 posted:

I'm surprised at all the King hate though I've almost always been entertained by him.

Oh I don't think anyone here actually hates Stephen King. We're just beiing honest - not every book he puts out is great and even the biggest fanboy has to admit to that. He's put out some wonderful books, and I have an entire shelf dedicated just to Stephen King, but for every amazing book he puts out, he also shits out a turd. Lately the turds are beginning to outweigh the great books, and I really wish that in his twilight years he would stick to short stories. His short story collections are always great with a high ratio of crap to gold.

Women's Rights?
Nov 16, 2005

Ain't give a damn
Where was the magical retard in Desperation? I thought the autistic kid didn't get included in that one? It's been awhile since I've read it so I could be wrong.

Women's Rights?
Nov 16, 2005

Ain't give a damn

Bosushi! posted:

Oh no no no, don't make me read the book to find out the context. I can't stop laughing, oh lord.

The best part is it doesn't even work.

The autistic kid is possessed by a demon but the demon hates being there when the kid is taking a dump, so the kid's aunt feeds him a bunch of laxatives and tries to make a break for it. The demon gets all pissed off when he realizes what's going on, takes over the kid again, and starts wrecking things and the aunt goes off into her own little mind world to escape it. You know. Like people do.

Women's Rights?
Nov 16, 2005

Ain't give a damn
The Long Walk is amazing. Easily, easily the best Bachman book, with Thinner right behind it. I wasn't a fan of Roadwork or Rage...they were okay but nothing special.

Women's Rights?
Nov 16, 2005

Ain't give a damn

NosmoKing posted:

Please give me another Dirk Pitt novel where either an industrialist is loving with artifacts OR we uncover some old war weapon! Will Dirk Pitt save the day after racing his classic car and/or airplane? Will there be a swordfight? How LONG will Dirk have to spend underwater this time?

How long until Dirk Pitt gets totally hosed in a situation and then the author shows up to help him out. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Women's Rights?
Nov 16, 2005

Ain't give a damn

Payndz posted:

The very first Cussler book I read (perhaps not coincidentally, also the last) - the one about Vikings and the ridiculously-designed circular ocean liner - had Cussler turn up to get Pitt out of a completely hosed situation in about chapter 6. Utter :wtc: moment as a reader.

As much as I hate Stephen King inserting himself into the Dark Tower series...well at least he's only done it the one time. But Clive Cussler apparently does it in all of the books he writes. I only know about two - Pitt had escaped a chinese ship and was drowning but Cussler's little boat was traveling by and Pitt and Lovely Female Companion climbed aboard and were taken to safety, and in the other one Pitt had been ditched in the desert and was going to die but Cussler happened to be living in the one house in the desert and gave Pitt a motorcycle to get him out of there or something stupid I don't know my mom told me about that one.